Special Order Giulia Ti - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Not wanting to buy a Ferrari, so I couldn't care less what they offer. No manual, no buyee. That's how I'm over it. Just sayin'

BTW, we just don't have the need for all the new electronics these newer cars now come with, and they can probably be hacked anyway. Manufacturers are having a tough time curing that little problem.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Not wanting to buy a Ferrari, so I couldn't care less what they offer. No manual, no buyee. That's how I'm over it. Just sayin'

BTW, we just don't have the need for all the new electronics these newer cars now come with, and they can probably be hacked anyway. Manufacturers are having a tough time curing that little problem.
Del, I enjoy manuals as well. I guess the constant complaining about the fact that the new Giulia is auto only, rubs me the wrong way. I myself live in a city where there is no alfa dealer yet. If there was I'd test drive one a few times, think really hard about the lack of manual, how it drives, looks etc before deciding whether or not to buy.

That said, I do believe the next versions will have the manual option: whether its the 2018 version, or a mid year 'upgrade'. My point about the Ferrari was simply to say that times are changing whether we like it or not so we need to embrace that. Everything I've read about that auto has been amazing....have you had a chance to test drive?

1969 1750 Spider*Giorgia?*
1970 1750 Spider*magica*--mi ha lasciato per un altro,luglio 2015
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Not yet, but there is a dealer with them just about 4 miles away that we might stop by today. They were late getting them, having only a lonely 4C in the showroom the last time we were there. Friend does have an Audi A6 with that style of transmission, so familiar with that sort of thing. He keeps saying, gee, don't have to do a thing. I say, yeah, but that's no fun.

You are correct, times have been changing but we're very stubborn, not seduced by the siren call from fancy toy electronics, automatic this and that, lol. Hell, we don't even have a 'smart phone'. Don't need it, spend no time twittering, don't even belong to Facetime, Facebook, whatever it is.

Del

Seattle

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 02-25-2017 at 09:58 AM.

post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM

Wink Electronics are making life to complicated

Quote:
I drove the Giulia twice last weekend on the racetrack. WOW, the procedure you go thru to get moving:
  • foot on the brake
  • grab the "shift lever" thing at the same time pushing in that little button
  • move the lever into Reverse
  • grab the lever again, move it into Drive or M for manuel/paddle shift
  • Oh, go to the DNA rotary dial and dial in your D-N or A preference
  • If you remember at this point why you got in the car - start moving forward
But after that the car is BITCHIN . We were doing mostly slow, photo op laps. At the end I got to open it up for a few "warm" laps with up and down shifting. Got over 100 mph and did not notice it until I looked at the spedo. There is 1 corner ,#3, that requires a 4 to 3 downshift and a sharp left-uphill turn. The car felt NICE. Excellent throttle steer response.
It definitely needs a new exhaust note. It was difficult to tell when to shift one of the 8 speeds available. I know of 1 Giulia TI on order that will have exhaust work as its first mod.
Thanks to Hunter Alfa Romeo, Lancaster CA, for bringing out 2 Giulias for a few of us lucky ones to drive on the track.
To compare I also got to drive a newish, 2016?, Corvette, manual shift in anger. GREAT acceleration, lousy over sensitive brakes, programmed in blip on downshift (driver skill no longer required) that eliminates heel-toe downshift. Exciting but soul-less automobile.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT Time Trials and Wine Tours; 88 Milano - Daily Driver
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysalfa View Post
I drove the Giulia twice last weekend on the racetrack. WOW, the procedure you go thru to get moving:
  • foot on the brake
  • grab the "shift lever" thing at the same time pushing in that little button
  • move the lever into Reverse
  • grab the lever again, move it into Drive or M for manuel/paddle shift
  • Oh, go to the DNA rotary dial and dial in your D-N or A preference
  • If you remember at this point why you got in the car - start moving forward
And add the foot on the brakes to release the p brake!

I drove a Ti with sports package yesterday.
I was annoyed that:
  • no dip stick
    no oil press gage
    no oil temp
    no volts
    no boost gauge
    with 8 speed box and paddles that's a lot of paddleling (?)
    so quiet, good and bad
    nice steering
    supple suspension
Sales man says if you want those gauges get a Porsche. Whats that supposed to mean.
So whats the Alfa , an appliance? just get a Lexus.
A Porsche friend says to me, if you don't track the car those gages are not needed. Humm maybe he's right, I like the water t in degrees F, oil in psi,....
Geez, I just feel old.
Explain the marketing, someone.
Attached Images

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Getting less and less desirable. For the fact free generation which spends all their time on smart phones. For most people, "appliances" are what sell, judging by sales figures.

"Geez, I just feel old"

Get in line.
PhilBoncer likes this.

Del

Seattle

post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganunez View Post
And add the foot on the brakes to release the p brake!

I drove a Ti with sports package yesterday.
I was annoyed that:
  • no dip stick
    no oil press gage
    no oil temp
    no volts
    no boost gauge
    with 8 speed box and paddles that's a lot of paddleling (?)
    so quiet, good and bad
    nice steering
    supple suspension
This is true with most new cars today. Given the much higher reliability of modern cars, there's far less need to closely monitor the car's systems like there used to be. As far a soft suspension, keep in mind that even the "sport package" is still more of a luxury model. The quad is what you need for going fast.
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Given the much higher reliability of modern cars, there's far less need to closely monitor the car's systems like there used to be"

That might be true, but it isn't very "techie". Not my life style, guess I'm being fazed out.

There are a zillion cars I could buy which have no instruments to speak of. I think it is flakey that they don't have a dip stick, esp given the reliability of oil level senders, at least the ones which came with Alfas. You would think these are el cheapo American cars, jeez, with just a few warning lights. Bah humbug, lol.

Not only that, but the county has put on a new tax on tabs, close to 10% every year, and they use a very low rate for vehicle depreciation for taxing. Your car loses almost no value the first few years according to them. That smarts.

More convinced than ever that we will probably just keep what we have, since we don't put too many miles on them anymore anyway.

Del

Seattle

post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

My understanding from reading the manual is that the bar graph on the left side of the speedometer shows oil temp rather than water temp and that the car flashes an error code if the water temp exceeds the programmed level. At which point you are supposed to stop the car, wait for it to cool, check the coolant level and call for help if it overheats again.

But I saw no mention of a boost gauge. Too bad on that. Maybe some enterprising aftermarket provider will fill that need.
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
This is true with most new cars today. Given the much higher reliability of modern cars, there's far less need to closely monitor the car's systems like there used to be. As far a soft suspension, keep in mind that even the "sport package" is still more of a luxury model. The quad is what you need for going fast.
I'm fondly thinking of my 1963 VW Bug that I owned in 1976 or so. My first car. I was living in Germany at the time. It had no gauges or instruments. Big speedometer in Kilometers and a broken fuel gauge. Two idiot lights. One for no oil pressure and one for a failed charging system. That was it.

As much as I do like gauges and do like monitoring things and knowing if the water is 191 or 192 degrees. Yes, that degree of detail helps the car work better. The truth is that it doesn't really matter. And most drivers don't want to know.

I prefer my amp meter to be so sensitive that it wiggles as the turn signals flash. Now, how many people do you know that would think somethings wrong? My wife and step-mother for starters. "OMG, it moved. Somethings wrong. Fix it." I can her them both screaming hysterically.

All that's really needed is a message when something stops working correctly. And hopefully enough information to know if it needs a tow or can safely be driven to a repair shop.

The missing dipstick bothers me. A lot.
ganunez, kanundrum and PhilBoncer like this.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
"Given the much higher reliability of modern cars, there's far less need to closely monitor the car's systems like there used to be"

That might be true, but it isn't very "techie". Not my life style, guess I'm being fazed out.

There are a zillion cars I could buy which have no instruments to speak of. I think it is flakey that they don't have a dip stick, esp given the reliability of oil level senders, at least the ones which came with Alfas. You would think these are el cheapo American cars, jeez, with just a few warning lights. Bah humbug, lol.

Not only that, but the county has put on a new tax on tabs, close to 10% every year, and they use a very low rate for vehicle depreciation for taxing. Your car loses almost no value the first few years according to them. That smarts.

More convinced than ever that we will probably just keep what we have, since we don't put too many miles on them anymore anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I love the instrumentation. My spider has oil temp, AFR, boost (none of which were available from the factory). But you have to be realistic about the market today. No car in the Giulia's category has those features.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM

FWIW You can buy a OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and monitor everything lol.

Ive spent most of my life racing... The rest I just wasted
post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Gold Subscriber

OEMs have been "normalizing" gauges for years now for the exact reasons that Racer Z gives. They have become nothing more than "gauge" looking idiot lights.

But, I still wish we could option real gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STILL learning.

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona
post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"But you have to be realistic about the market today"

I am, and that's why I'm most likely not in the market.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

Last edited by Del; 02-27-2017 at 10:36 PM.
post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
OEMs have been "normalizing" gauges for years now for the exact reasons that Racer Z gives. They have become nothing more than "gauge" looking idiot lights.

But, I still wish we could option real gauges.
You're right about the gauge looking "idiot lights", ...
The info from the OBD is there, could be a display option to have simulated gauges on the big central screen if one wishes.

I was thinking of writing Sergio himself, a nice pick up has all the gauges, not a sport sedan? Because its tough looking, useful, ????

Oh and my 89 Peugeot has a dual function oil gauge, read oil level with the ign on, then oil temp when running. V nice.

George
64 TI (the violin), 87 911 Carrera coupe, 89 Peugeot 505 Turbo Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode