Alfa Romeo and "alternative facts" - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Locopo View Post
I have not heard that Audi has dropped the S4 however I would not be surprised considering the direction that they are taking. Their cars all look the same with the sedans taking the XS, S, M and L approach and the new 5's look like A4 coupes. The interiors are now stark and minimalist...the fact that I like M4's interior better than the new generation S5 is shocking to me. In general, they seem to be going towards an old school Mercedes Benz approach...not my cup of tea anymore sadly.

When the lease of my S5 was up in November and before I bought it out, I looked at leftover 2017 S5's on the dealer lots (Audi had closed factory orders in September for the new model) there was not one manual to be found. In the end I'm glad I did not go that route and I now have time to really figure out what I want.

If Alfa is paying attention to its social media posts and their comments, I am sure that they are getting the message that there is a market for the manual in the QV. I truly believe that they pulled it because the dealers complained....not the customers and they don't have a sales model where we can custom order a car from the factory like the Germans (at least not at this time).
if you go to the site no S4 for 17 and they show future autos for 18 and again no S4....dealers have no inventory nor are you able to order
at any rate...if the Alfa demand grows with the Giulia & Giulia Ti they would be nuts not to offer it in a manual....customers need to voice to dealers who in turn need to voice to Corporate...only time will tell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Of course, now, with the possibility of a tariff/tax of maybe 20-30% on all foreign made products, that might take the price up out of our reach. I cannot see Fiat spending the money to set up a manufacturing plant in the States for these cars, so, who knows what the long term prognosis is for them, and the cars would cost more if they are made here anyway.

Friend of mine is looking to replace his old Audi with a new A3 Hybrid. He is worried that the price will rise out of his reach by time he is ready.

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Of course, now, with the possibility of a tariff/tax of maybe 20-30% on all foreign made products, that might take the price up out of our reach. I cannot see Fiat spending the money to set up a manufacturing plant in the States for these cars, so, who knows what the long term prognosis is for them, and the cars would cost more if they are made here anyway.

Friend of mine is looking to replace his old Audi with a new A3 Hybrid. He is worried that the price will rise out of his reach by time he is ready.
I thought that the proposed 20% tax would only affect goods imported from Mexico to pay for the wall

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDriver View Post
if you go to the site no S4 for 17 and they show future autos for 18 and again no S4....dealers have no inventory nor are you able to order
at any rate...if the Alfa demand grows with the Giulia & Giulia Ti they would be nuts not to offer it in a manual....customers need to voice to dealers who in turn need to voice to Corporate...only time will tell
Went to the Audi USA site and there is no mention about the S4 in either current or future vehicles. That said, I do seem to remember reading that they are planning to still make one but who knows....things change especially in light of the Diesel emission scandal.

I saw a Facebook post from Alfa USA that the Giulia and Giulia Ti models are on the way to the dealers....and yet still no configurators on the website for any of the Giulias.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

The talk has been about applying a tariff against products from other countries as well. Remember the discussions with/about Toyota?

Del

Seattle

89 Milano (wife's daily driver since 1989, Shankle Sport)
91 164S (my daily driver since 1994)
94 164LS (~Q) (trip Alfa since 2000)
72 Morgan 27 (water time since 1976)

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 01-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Went to the Audi USA site and there is no mention about the S4 in either current or future vehicles. That said, I do seem to remember reading that they are planning to still make one but who knows....things change especially in light of the Diesel emission scandal.

I saw a Facebook post from Alfa USA that the Giulia and Giulia Ti models are on the way to the dealers....and yet still no configurators on the website for any of the Giulias.
Have to pass by the dealer tomorrow for something will ask what the story is...should be interesting to say the least
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDriver View Post
@James...as you are an Audi guy why did they drop the S4 from the 2017-18 line-up?
I believe it's because the S3 sedan is much the same size car the S4 used to be. It's nearly the same size as the old A4 chassis, and the new A4 has become large and heavy. (I have an '01 A4 Avant 1.8 manual)

And I agree with an earlier comment that a Giulia TI with the 6 speed would be a great car. Just right maybe. Swap the Quad wheels onto it.

Mike
1967 1600 Spider
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:

The 2017 Giulias are here in the States. About a week ago I test drove a Quad (QV) and yesterday my wife and I drove a Ti. The base Giulia is here at the dealer also. My dealer (Santa Monica, CA) has about 12 Giulias with more on the way. Like all things Alfa, 'on the way' is an open-ended statement, nobody knows WHEN they will be here.

I put about eight miles on the Ti in Dynamic Manual mode and all types of driving conditions. My one statement is, "This is how sedans should have always been built."

Before you make a decision on which new sedan to buy, drive a 2017 Giulia first. Then make that decision. I haven't driven any of the direct competition, so I can't voice that opinion, but both my wife and I really do like the new Giulia.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Garage
I agree. I wouldn't buy this car primarily because it doesn't offer a manual transmission. Personally, I'm not a fan of the front end body styling either. Looks like almost every other angry faced, plastic car out there. It's just not unique or sophisticated as Alfa Romeos are usually know for. The concept car design that was first released was incredible. This version is a bit of a let down.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
I had a '97 Jetta III with a clutch pedal and shift lever. You couldn't roll start by popping the clutch, like I could in my '86 GTI, beacuse, for safety reasons, the clutch had to be depressed all the way for the ignition to be hot. The moment you released the clutch pedal, no spark......no popping the clutch!!!! Yea safety......

Marc
Southeastern, Massachusetts
alfabb member #1672 (I think...)

[B]Auto[/B]-biography:
- [COLOR=Red]'84 Spider [/COLOR] 2003-Present
- [COLOR=SlateGray]'97 Jetta [/COLOR] 1997-Present
- [COLOR=SeaGreen]'98 Accord [/COLOR] 1998-Present
- [COLOR=Red]'85 GTI (RIP) [/COLOR] 1991-1997
- [COLOR=Gray]'86 GTI (RIP)[/COLOR] 1988-1991
- [COLOR=Gray]'66 Chevy Caprice Classic (RIP)[/COLOR] 1986-1988
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:07 AM

This is not to contradict anything said above, but just to present another perspective. I have several old Alfas with sticks that I drive for fun. I prefer an automatic for commuting and for long distance driving, and just got a Giulia for that purpose. Just made a run in the Giulia through the NC mountains that I did several months ago in my Giulietta TI. Both were extremely enjoyable, the major difference being that maximum fun in the Giulietta could be achieved at legal speeds!

Don
'61 Giulietta TI
'61 Giulietta Sprint
'67 GT Jr
'72 1300 Super
'17 Giulia TI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode