Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Apparently they are here...

16K views 114 replies 31 participants last post by  spokeless 
#1 ·
This photo was taken in Baltimore. Presumably right after they were unloaded from the boat.

See less See more
#2 ·
It must be true. I've seen the same picture in two Internet forums now. lol

Just like the 4C delivery, we had pictures of them sitting in Baltimore port, and the dealers were clueless. In the defense of the dealers, Alfa Romeo in Italy isn't telling them any more than they're telling us.

Will the Giulias be delivered in mid-November? Or is there going to be some unspoken delay lasting another six months?

#3 ·
A rep from our local Austin Alfiat dealer was discussing a launch party in November some time. We'll see . . . .

#8 · (Edited)
A mule perhaps?

What dealer is this? I live near enough to do a drive-by. But I don't know of an Alfa Romeo dealership in Manhattan Beach, California.

There's a new one in Torrance, near my dentist. It's possible they claim to be a Manhattan Beach dealer. The border isn't that far away.

#9 · (Edited)
I don't see where one could hang a front plate, as some states require. Maybe under the front lowest spoiler, and if it get's scraped up, so be it, lol.

Still not that enthralled with the overall look of the car. Will have to see one in real life.

#10 ·
@Racer Z the blue one is now at my dealer in Larchmont NY. I was there today. there was also an Alfa rep from corporate there as well.
The car is not exactly a mule in that it is a pre-production car. it had no VIN on it. It was equipped as follows:
Carbon Ceramic Brakes
Carbon Fiber Seats & Steering Wheel
It did not have the "phone dial wheels" but did have the blacked out other ones.
The seats are not power seats
It really looked proportionately well designed...it had been 4 months since I saw & sat in the QV in Montreal...
The cars have apparently been here for almost a month now (according to the Rep)
He expects them to be released to dealers by end of November at the latest. He also said that there are some Regular & Ti models at the port as well. Take that for what it is worth.
The blue shows the lines of the car really well. My dealer does not know how many he will be getting yet. I was told that I have the pick of the litter when they get their notices...didn't have my phone with me so no pictures...sorry. It will be there tomorrow as well,

#11 ·
Local Austin dealer is working with the local ALfa club to plan a launch party, with a potential display of many of our nicer vintage Alfas, for mid-November. No other details. Note that they are receiving a wad of various 124's right now. No Giulias in yet. Very busy time for them. Big media event in Napa today, showing and driving Gulias. The Houston Chronicle auto writer wanted to know if I could join him. Not on such short notice.

Reactions: DanB
#13 ·
Yea, he called me last night from Napa wanting to know if I happened to be oin CA to join him. Dang.

#16 ·
"Not so good with the clunky US plates"

Yup, going to be a problem in some states, although I have noticed that many with 'specialty' cars are now not mounting the front plate, even if the plate is required. Evidently the police don't consider it a high priority. IMO the main reason we do have the front plate is for toll collecting identification, lol. That is becoming old hat now what with transponders being required for most toll highways, cash lines disappearing, as with the Mass Pike.

#17 ·
lfa Giulia SW next year: Giulia is already 4th best in its segment.

The Giulia has been in sale in mainland Europe since May and in the UK since this month. It was the fourth best-selling midsize premium car in September (see table below).

September midsize premium sedan sales in Continental Europe with % change
Mercedes C class 4,300 -16%
BMW 3 series 3,033 +11%
Audi A4 2,091 +55%
Alfa Romeo Giulia 1,718 New
Jaguar XE 845 -26%
Volvo S60 503 -19%
Lexus IS 340 +28%
Infiniti Q50 209 +32%

Nine-month midsize premium sedan sales in Continental Europe with % change
Mercedes C class 35,568 -16%
BMW 3 series 24,931 +8%
Audi A4 23,803 +76%
Jaguar XE 8,709 +117%
Alfa Romeo Giulia 5,105 New
Volvo S60 4,981 -8%
Lexus IS 2,755 -7%
Infiniti Q50 1,635 -1%

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...european-sales

#35 ·
Giulia is already 4th best in its segment.

The Giulia has been in sale in mainland Europe since May and in the UK since this month. It was the fourth best-selling midsize premium car in September (see table below).
That makes it an even bigger success considering Benz and Audi people aren't buying it >:)

Maybe you've all read it too, but no manual transmission will be available in the US market.
***?!?! That's the exact opposite of what they were saying earlier in the year; that the manual Quadrifoglios would be first and the auto later. The Guilia's auto isn't even a DCT is it? The test mule that I saw pictures of had a manual. Major disappointment if they only offer it in slushbox here. Guess I'll have to buy another BMW...

#20 ·
In TX a front plate is not required.

#25 ·
They changed it again... https://www.versustexas.com/criminal/two-license-plates-texas/

The good news is that if you "fix" it, then it's only $10 (plus the waste of your time getting hassled by the man). I'm thinking if you get one of those brackets that mount in the tow hook, you could just keep it in the trunk. That way when you get pulled over for it you say nicely, "Oh! I'm sorry ociffer; I forgot to put it back on. I can fix it right now if you'd let me." Then it's just a matter of spinning onto where the hook goes.

#21 ·
I was at my Alfa dealer yesterday. The salesperson excitedly told me that the Giulia is in Baltimore and will be in dealers mid-November. LMAO

After him beating around the bush, I finally got his source of information. THIS THREAD! LMAO Time of delivery is wishful thinking on his part. I hope he's right or I'm getting excited for not.

#26 · (Edited)
I noticed the requirement that the plate not be mounted less than 10 inches from the ground. Doesn't say if that is the bottom of the plate or the centerline. Going to be a problem with the Giulia.

Will be a real shame to attach a bracket on the front of that sculptured front end. Guess it would have to be mounted in front of one of the grills on either side of the heart grill. Won't help engine cooling for those living in a hot climate.

#27 ·
The Austin dealer is tentatively planning a RSVP launch event for 11/16 and this relies on getting a traveling demo Quad there. I'm organizing a bevy of some of ouir nicer vintage Alfas to be displayed. Nice event with DJ, wine and horse ovaries.

#28 ·
These new dealers really don't care much about the older Alfas. Most don't know what they are, will not carry parts for them, won't know how to service them, but most are likely willing to put up with those owners in hopes of selling a new car to them.

#38 ·
My father has a 1963 Giulia Spider that he restored himself. It wins first place at many shows and gets invited to Invitational Concours. My point being that it really looks hip, slick & cool.

A bit over two years ago, while we were waiting for the 4Cs to arrive, I got a call from my new Alfa dealer saying a 4C would be here in a few hours for display. I called Dad because I knew he'd want to see the new 4C also. He was just getting ready to detail the Giulia for an event, so we drove the Giulia Spider to the Alfa Romeo dealership.

Do you think anybody recognized it as an Alfa? Do you think anybody recognized it as a neat old car? Disturbing really. Yes, a bit disappointing. Not that I expect people to fawn all over it. But really?

#29 ·
Most def. However the sales agent we are working with is an old time Alfisti who used to do her own work in Bob Fernald's shop and she comes to car events like our Alfa CNC and others. We are lucky to have an insider like that. She knows how influential and how good a sales ambassador we can be. Doesn't hurt to throw us a tibdit occasionally.

#30 ·
I can easily imagine that if we drive into the local Alfa dealership, the sales guy will see our older Alfa and think, "oh, jeez, not another one. Well, maybe I can talk him out of that piece of junk".

#31 ·
Maybe you've all read it too, but no manual transmission will be available in the US market. Not enough Americans are buying manuals, it's smoother, faster, more reliable, set the world record at the Ring, yada yada. There's another thread about it already today.

Also, there IS a wagon being developed, at least for Europe, where they sell a lot of "premium" wagons.

Also #3.....Automotive news has this bit on the platform.....

"Marchionne said he is encouraged by the versatility of the Giorgio architecture that was created for the Giulia.

FCA can use the architecture to build a "phenomenal" range of rear- and all-wheel-drive cars, which may even expand in some form to the Jeep brand, he said.

The architecture proved to be "all we expected and more," Marchionne said. "I think its utilization across a wide range of applications within the group is probably the most beneficial thing we have done from a technical development in a long time," he said."

#32 ·
" it's smoother, faster, more reliable, set the world record at the Ring"

but dials the driver out.

And I don't believe that 'more reliable' bit, lol. More reliable than the stouter than all get out Alfa manual transmissions? I seriously doubt that seeing as how it is a mix of electronics and intricate mechanisms. Still, I suppose many will like it, they probably not knowing how to shift a manual, up or down the gears. Next will be self driving Alfas, sob.

#33 ·
could have bought a DCT in my E92 M3 or my F80 M3 but I opted for a manual...partly because I keep my cars for the long haul and there is no hard data on high mileage DCT's and how they hold up....had almost 90k on one of my cars before I had to change the clutch....
and I like shifting my cars....this is a let down as this would be my very first Italian car...Alfa is very frustrating:crying2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.