Issues with my Giulia - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tadslc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Issues with my Giulia

Hello All. I have a 2017 Giulia Q4 AWD that I purchased about 6 weeks ago. I love the car and it's beautiful inside and out BUT it is currently at the dealer and has been for 4 days now due to a engine surge issue, timing issue and electrical issue. The dealer point blank told me they have no idea what to do and are in communication with the engineers of the Giulia for some direction.

Has anyone experience similar issues?

2017 Alfa Romeo Gulia Q4 Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Gold Subscriber

You need to post your question on the Giulia Forum, Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum

Seems to be much more active re these cars
Pino F likes this.

Tad
Alabama

'59 Sprint
'59 Spider Veloce
'61 Giulietta Spider- Street
'61 Giulietta Spider- Race
'67 Duetto
'67 Giulia Super
'71 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Q
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 PM

It is just a beginning of the Alfa experience. The positive side you always be entertained by Giulia

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartwoman View Post
Hello All. I have a 2017 Giulia Q4 AWD that I purchased about 6 weeks ago. I love the car and it's beautiful inside and out BUT it is currently at the dealer and has been for 4 days now due to a engine surge issue, timing issue and electrical issue. The dealer point blank told me they have no idea what to do and are in communication with the engineers of the Giulia for some direction.

Sorry, no, I haven't taken delivery of my Giulia yet. I know how frustrating and disappointing things like this are, especially with a new car. AR is working on your issue and many others that you haven't experienced yet. Hopefully, you won't experience the others, ever. I've had a few issues with my 4C, and believe me, sometimes it seems like they will never get around to it. But, in the end, they did fix my 4C, every time, and now I have 26,000 miles on her and am glad I waited.

Your dealer, has to go through STAR on these matters. Believe me, your dealer is just as frustrated as you are. It's kind of early in the game for this, but you can call FCA and make a formal complaint. Not against your dealer, just in general. FCA will push STAR to do something a bit faster than STAR wants to do anything. I've always talked to my dealer before calling FCA.

Part of your new car warranty includes a loaner car while your Giulia is in the shop for warranty work. Did they offer you a loaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadslc View Post
You need to post your question on the Giulia Forum, Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum

Seems to be much more active re these cars
You beat me to it. I was going to suggest the same thing.

Racer Z
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
I'll say this sounds odd. But, I think with this car (like many cars) the very first vehicles in that first year will have the most problems. Each new car I've bought has been at the end of its production cycle and I've never had issues.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
It is just a beginning of the Alfa experience. The positive side you always be entertained by Giulia

Heck, how fast were you going when you took that photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max pershyn View Post
it is just a beginning of the alfa experience. The positive side you always be entertained by giulia

the giulia doesn't have a dip stick.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Diesel and QV have. Even 2.0 turbo has. But it is mostly for dealership access.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamale44 View Post
the giulia doesn't have a dip stick.
It's my understanding that the NA Giulia 2.0 does not have a dip stick. It should have an oil level gauge somewhere in the dash display.

Racer Z
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
It's my understanding that the NA Giulia 2.0 does not have a dip stick. It should have an oil level gauge somewhere in the dash display.
Yes you are right. But dealers can check the level manually. Car should be placed on ramp, engine protection removed. Then the level should be measured by the specially ordered stick.

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 05-19-2017 at 10:34 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 PM

Just FYI, 2.0 turbo does not have mechanical thermostat valve. 2.0 has two water circuits.
It has the high temperature circuit which is for engine block and head, engine oil, low pressure EGR, and heater. The low temperature feeds intercooler and turbocharger.

I would say 4C (which was initially engineered as Abarth) is really simple car compared to Giulia. Probably by mechanical and electrical level of engineering Giulia can be equal to 164 Q4 or Safrane Baccara.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
It's my understanding that the NA Giulia 2.0 does not have a dip stick.
When I was a young instrumentation engineer the old plant manager told me that the only instruments that he trusted were a dip stick and a mercury thermometer. He was only half joking!

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartwoman View Post

Has this issue been resolved, yet???
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Safrane Baccara.
Ha!
Max, you crack me up!
Alfa Andy

ALFA ANDY
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 05:09 AM

Garage
As a suggestion...swap out the computer and see if the issue resolves itself. You might be having a "lean" surge. This was a very common issue with the Spica system when it first came out in 1975 for smog issues. The car was so lean, it barely could get out of its own way. A cam retiming and a minor adjustment to the FI was all it needed to be resolved if I recall from 40 years ago. My guess is that the new car is set so lean for the standards this is the issue. FCA might be worried about the cars not meeting emissions from the factory.

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com

Last edited by velocedoc; Today at 05:18 AM.

Tags
electrical, engine, giluia, surge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode