no 6 speed for US - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 AM

Philippe Krief's who developed the QV I would presume developed it with the paddle shift in place (his last project was the Ferrari 458 speciale), and all the money went into integrating the whole of the electronics for the way the engine and suspension/transmission interracted.
In my opinion the manual was developed after with less money and time to build a good one though I am sure FCA (notably Ferrari) has the capability since the F50 had a manual change in a car with 513hp and its shift is reportedly superb, as good as they come.
The prototype Alfa 8c competitzione test car had a manual but it was never formally released although a German journalist tested this car with negative reviews of the manual shift. Again the Giulia QV reviews I read in Europe of the manual shift have been negative and only with the paddle shift have views been complimentary.
However the manual should have had more time and money given to it to make it as good as the best competitor but it did not hence the results , so again the enthusiast suffers because no matter the tiny projected manual sales figures an option for both should have been given.
Saying that the QV has just come out and maybe later with more models a good manual version will emerge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM

For Giorgio project was developed 7 DDCT gearbox. I cannot understand what was the reason to shelved this gearbox. So much money were wasted.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk
post #93 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Tested by Italian Auto at Balocco

post #94 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to alfa_corsa Send a message via Yahoo to alfa_corsa Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
If it was a proper Dual Clutch Gearbox like BMW, Audi, and others install in their cars, I'd be less bearish on it. I'd still want a proper 6spd manual, but I wouldn't criticize the ZF 8spd auto. I haven't driven a new Giulia yet, but I did drive a Maserati a couple years ago with column mounted paddles and a similar gearbox. It was extremely disappointing.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

57 1900C SS (10321)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) In utero
08 Ducati 848 (Track Bike)
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
87 Ducati F1B
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
64 Lambretta TV175

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Garage
The US Q is listed in eper with manual 6 speed gearbox
Attached Images

Saluti da Germania

Ralph
post #96 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to alfa_corsa Send a message via Yahoo to alfa_corsa Send a message via Skype™ to alfa_corsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gta776126 View Post
The US Q is listed in eper with manual 6 speed gearbox
Interesting. I don't think the dealers are ordering them but perhaps a customer could request one.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

57 1900C SS (10321)
59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (05431)
66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (242922) In utero
08 Ducati 848 (Track Bike)
95 Ducati 916
92 Ducati 900SS
91 Ducati 851
87 Ducati F1B
66 Ducati Mach 1 Replica
64 Lambretta TV175

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Garage
Well then this is news...
post #98 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM

What denotes that it is a manual in the eper screen shot? Also when is that from? The US was slated to get manuals for the QV until November last year, one month before they hit the showroom. Also, it looks like it has 'Super' and 'Sport' trim levels for the 4 cylinders models which currently do not exist in the US (Base or Ti). Could this be for 2018 models? Trying not to get my hopes up to high....(cut to me setting up camp at my local Alfa dealer...)
post #99 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 AM

It is from ePer, the car has appeared in a program in 2015. MTX in ePer means manual gearbox. Giulia QV US with manual was prepared from the beginning and fully tested. Money was invested in r&d. As I told this version has been in a program since 2015, probably late 2014. I have no idea why the car is not marketed in USA.
Ti is a marketing name, for every market cars have different names and different trims. So the US TI is an optional EU Super, with additional airbags and rear crash protection. The only one special model for North America will be Giulia 350HP with electric turbochrger. The conclusion about electric turbochrger was based on 24v battery. Other parts of the 350hp are still unavailable for view.

Cars in ePer can be distinguished by SINCOM code.

In last ePer I saw (November 2016 version) there were not Giulia MY2018. The main refreshment will get 4C, it will be MY2018 with number 1 in SINCOM code. It means the refreshment will be equal to facelift or series 2, not just changing in equipment as current 4c had

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 05-19-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #100 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So does this mean that at some point we might get manual cars in US?

Zaza

Refreshing 1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750
post #101 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscotto851 View Post
is anybody else really upset that they are not offering the new guila in a 6 speed manual.
First time seeing this thread. I haven't read through the myriad responses cuz I don't want any bias to blunt my response...

My answer is "No, absolutely not. Not in the Giulia, far from it".

I test drove the new Giulia in its 4cyl 2.0l, model and I'm not disappointed whatsoever, for several reasons.

PERFORMANCE - The Giulia's 8speed automatic is tuned to be EXACTLY what I'd want the tranny to be doing for me on a track. Not even on public roads. Coming to the end of the straight, then hard late braking deep into the turn, get on the throttle just before apex, and the power is all RIGHT THERE, 100% ready to be put to the pavement, not a moment lost .. I had it out for nearly an hour of hard driving, and the 8speed auto is tuned with the logic of track driving SO well, there is simply NOTHING to complain about. And here we are talking about a road car with 99% of owners driving on public roads.

OK, I GET IT, YOU WANT TO SHIFT IT YOURSELF - So, you aren't the type who wants the engine to upshift until its well into the power band? OK, you just push the stick to -M+ mode and you manually select your gears with the stick. If you choose the Sport option package, in addition to both the above modes, you get a column-mount paddle shift, which works in perfect harmony with the Auto mode and Manual mode.

OH, BUT I'M A PURIST AND NOT HAVING A CLUTCH PEDAL IS LAME LAME LAME - This is a person I can not help. If you want "old school" 3-pedal technology, it's just not what the Giulia is about and you'd be absolutely right to eschew it.
In this case you don't care about the outright performance granted you by the Automatic, or you think you can shift better - but you long for the nostalgic experience of yore when Men Were Men and you revved to peak power before shifting. Well, Alfa is embracing new technology and leaving the old behind. Generally the manual marketshare in Sports and GT cars is 5-to-7% and dropping. Across the whole range it is 3%. It's not financially sensible for Alfa to support such a small segment when the Auto with M mode options provide better performance than a 3-pedal driver can provide.

Ciao,
- Art
alfamale44 and cptwei like this.

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop

Last edited by 76Satisfaction; 05-20-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #102 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Locopo View Post
What denotes that it is a manual in the eper screen shot? Also when is that from? The US was slated to get manuals for the QV until November last year, one month before they hit the showroom. Also, it looks like it has 'Super' and 'Sport' trim levels for the 4 cylinders models which currently do not exist in the US (Base or Ti). Could this be for 2018 models? Trying not to get my hopes up to high....(cut to me setting up camp at my local Alfa dealer...)
The eper screen shot is from this week.

Saluti da Germania

Ralph
post #103 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 PM

What version of the ePer? When it was issued?
post #104 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
What version of the ePer? When it was issued?
Eper online. Connected with FCA.

Saluti da Germania

Ralph
post #105 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM

The reason given by Alfa about the lack of manual being offered in the North American market was declining request.
This fact is confirmed by BMW sales of their M cars....very few are ordered with manual transmissions... the public has changed their tastes it would seem
BMW also announced that the new G platform M5 will only come with a DCTas standard as well as AWD... no manual to be offered, unlike the F10 M5.
I don't view it as a waste of money for one reason...the door is always open now for Alfa to respond IF there is enough demand...the car was federalized with a manual as well as an auto...IF they never did it...they would have to do it later...and its not like the 6 speed manual was developed unique to the Quad.
I like the ZF8 in my Quad, no its not as engaging as a manual...but it is still fun to drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode