Special Order Giulia Ti - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Here in the rest of the world we've been calling these (QV) wheels teledials since the beginning of time... At least thirty years for me, and I picked it up from somebody else
Ok. A bit of history. I'd never heard the term until the 4C swam across the waters. Some things have just been around forever and are only new to me.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 AM

To my memory, Alfa has been using the round hole wheel design for many many decades, and I have referred to them as a telephone-dial style of wheel for as long.
Back to the Giulia / Giulia Ti discussions.
These are a few more observations from my recent test drive.
The sunroof. It's one of the style that opens above the roof. It also has a second glass panel that does not open. At least the rep said that it didn't open. I'm not a fan of this style of sunroof. I'd rather that my movable panel tracts between the headliner and the underside of the roof. Also, the sun shade, on the model that we observed, did not completely block out the sun light. It was made of a very thin cloth that (even in Feb. in PA) was allowing a good amount of light in. It was kind of a nice level of light but it made me wonder if this would allow too much light, and heat, when summer arrives.
I had some questions about the "Active" suspension and how it worked, was it configurable, etc. AND similar questions about the design of the 4wd Q4 system. It was a Saturday and the service department was closed and the sales reps had nothing for me. Does anyone have this info, or links, to official Alfa information on these, and other options like the up grade headlights, sound system, etc. The website and the 1 page information sheet that the rep and I were working from had only the vaguest descriptions about these options. She found a couple you tube videos that gave few, if any more detailed technical descriptions.
I'm planning on going back this week to nose-around again and speak to the Service Dept.

ALFA ANDY
post #33 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 12:04 AM

Sounds exciting!

post #34 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylarry View Post
AND similar questions about the design of the 4wd Q4 system.

The same as BMW X-Drive or Nissan Pathfinder or GMC Sierra, supplied by Magna. Try to search by Actimax

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 02-13-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #35 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Pershyn View Post
The same as BMW X-Drive or Nissan Pathfinder or GMC Sierra, supplied by Magna. Try to search by Actimax
It's sub-titled for the non-Italians!!

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #36 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchl View Post
It's sub-titled for the non-Italians!!
Guys from the video described about Q4 even less than official press release

By the link you can find the most complete topic in the web about Giulia Q4 system.

Il nuovo sistema Q4 Alfa Romeo - Meccanica ed Innovazioni Tecniche Auto - Autopareri

And the test drive by the QR

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 02-13-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #37 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Max,
Is it the Magna Dynamax or the Magna Flex 4?

ALFA ANDY
post #38 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:55 PM

It is the Magna Actimax

Last edited by Max Pershyn; 02-14-2017 at 09:01 PM.
post #39 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:38 AM

Max, thanks for the video link. As informative as the video was, it raises even more questions. The video states that the driver selects individual performance modes. Is this true for the Giulia? Also, it states that the Altimax system can "optionally" be combined with NIA, an integrated actuator. Giulia? It seems that this system is similar to the Haldex system that Volvo uses. That system allows for the vehicle to run in 100% 2wd (front for the Volvo) until wheel slip is detected and then it kicks-in and adds drive to the other axle. The Giulia, of course would operate in rear wheel drive (100% rear wheel drive?), until wheel slippage is detected. The video suggests that it then adds traction to the other axle in varying proportions, as conditions require. I wonder, is it capable, if conditions require, to put the car into a traction split where more than equal drive is sent to the front axle? Could a 100% front, 0% rear drive split occur? Hmm...

ALFA ANDY
post #40 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 AM

The system in Giulia can split the torque from 100% - rear axle to 40% rear - 60% forward. Depends on DNA selector position and road conditions.
You can find more about the system in European press realese and in owners manual (available at fiat elum)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #41 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Max, thanks for the video link. As informative as the video was, it raises even more questions. The video states that the driver selects individual performance modes. Is this true for the Giulia? Also, it states that the Altimax system can "optionally" be combined with NIA, an integrated actuator. Giulia? It seems that this system is similar to the Haldex system that Volvo uses. That system allows for the vehicle to run in 100% 2wd (front for the Volvo) until wheel slip is detected and then it kicks-in and adds drive to the other axle. The Giulia, of course would operate in rear wheel drive (100% rear wheel drive?), until wheel slippage is detected. The video suggests that it then adds traction to the other axle in varying proportions, as conditions require. I wonder, is it capable, if conditions require, to put the car into a traction split where more than equal drive is sent to the front axle? Could a 100% front, 0% rear drive split occur? Hmm...
There is the DNA selector which pre-selects the driving mode. It adjusts the engine performance level, throttle response, active suspension, transmission interaction.
A mode is All Weather for mud, snow, ice and that sort of thing.
N mode is Natural for regular or normal driving, whatever that is.
D mode is Dynamic. This offers the most performance in a sport type mode.

With or without the paddle shift option, the transmission can be used in a manual valve body mode in which it only shifts when the driver tells it to shift. What it does internally, I don't know.

Active suspension is an option. There is an additional control that offers more driver control for the suspension setting. I did not play with that. There is also an optional LSD (Limited Slip Differential). The Ti Performance Package includes Active Suspension, LSD & Paddles. As a package, this is only available for the Ti. Parts of it are included with other packages, except for the LSD. The LSD is exclusive to the Ti Performance Package.

I test drove the rear wheel drive w/paddles version. The AWD (Q4) version might have more controls.

The Quad (Quadrifoglio) has an additional R mode for the DNA selector. Race mode is primarily D mode without the nannies. The base and Ti don't have R mode.

I can't really compare the Giulia to my 4C because the engine/transmission/suspension are completely different. The 4C has the DNA w/Race modes and it works well. In my short jaunt in a Quad, it was Race/manual mode. In my test drive of the Ti, it was Dynamic Manual mostly with some Dynamic Auto. It was terrific. But, I never left the asphalt and weather was ideal (warm, dry, sunny). If there was any interaction from the nannies, I never noticed, but I wasn't pushing the car THAT hard. I was on public roads in traffic.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #42 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

My Giulia Ti order has been accepted and approved. Status is now:
D1 - dateline: plant has sequenced the unit for production, estimated ship date assigned
But in true AR style, they won't tell me the estimated date.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
post #43 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Z View Post
My Giulia Ti order has been accepted and approved. Status is now:
D1 - dateline: plant has sequenced the unit for production, estimated ship date assigned
But in true AR style, they won't tell me the estimated date.
Still, it's great news that AR will be accepting customer build orders as that is the opposite of what my local dealer had stated to me back in September.
post #44 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:37 AM

Hey Guys, and Gals, how about you consider posting the build sheets. The information would be useful with tracking package / option combinations that are accepted by Alfa. Also, information on how long it takes from order, to delivery.

ALFA ANDY
post #45 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Guys, and Gals, how about you consider posting the build sheets. The information would be useful with tracking package / option combinations that are accepted by Alfa. Also, information on how long it takes from order, to delivery.
Nothing absolute about the timeline yet, but, myself and a few other special oders (I'm on more than one forum) all claim four months. Now comes the wait.

RaceráZ
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode