Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Clutch not working

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  eas 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Got a dilemma with the car.

Went to use the car after 2 week not in use. Started the engine, pressed clutch and when I tried to put in first gear, I could not engage gear and heard crunching of gears. It seems like the clutch is not fully depressed.

I have left the car 2 weeks ago in full working condition without any symptoms of anything going wrong.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, I can see the Master cylinder rod/linkage moving in and out. Hydraulic fluid was and is at max level, so no leaks. Clutch pedal pressure seems normal too.

I need to find some time to get under the car to check the slave, but what else could it be if not the slave ?

GT Veloce 2Ltr - Euro 1971 LHD

Thanks

#2 ·
If slave working OK could be clutch disc froze to flywheel.

If car is in a clear area in front of it, put car in 4th gear and push pedal to the floor and bump key/starter to see if it will break free.

#6 ·
same problem

:frown2:I have the sane thing going on and just posted about it. I think there's an air bubble that's starting from the master somehow. I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine, but the next day it will n ot travel enough to release far enough to get it in gear. If I bleed it again it's fine again till the next day. I've replaced the slave and know how to bleed the air from a system.

#7 · (Edited)
I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine, but the next day it will not travel enough to release far enough to get it in gear.
I can't tell you exactly what is wrong, but if it feels fine after bleeding, and won't release enough to shift after only a day, then it does sound like some sort of a leak in the hydraulic system. If you are certain that the slave is OK, then the clutch master becomes suspect.

Do you lose fluid in the brake hydraulic system? Are any of the connections in the line between the clutch master and slave weeping?

I've replaced the slave and know how to bleed the air from a system.
OK, so you know the slave has to be oriented so the bleed screw is at 12 O'clock.

This is inconsistent with "I can bleed the system and get it to shift fine", but are you sure the weld on your pedal shaft isn't fractured?

#8 ·

I appreciate the help. I've bled the system 3 or 4 times and it all looks to be good ( no bubbles, firm pressure, no grinding with engine running, car still when in gear and running with clutch pedal in). Next day though, pedal is soft and clutch drags ( car creeps with pedal down and in gear and running, or will grind from neutral to any gear with the pedal down and the car running). Get it? Don't see any leaks or loss of fluid which is clear and new. I think there is a bad seal in the master and fluid is recirculating OR There's a bubble of air in the hose near the connection to the slave. Make sense? Next weekend I'll try to bleed it again at the connection of the hose to the slave ,then at the bleed nipple.

#10 ·
Update with video

I found some time and inspected the slave from under the car.

There is some kind of fluid dripping from the slave cylinder, but it might well could be other kind of fluid coming from somewhere else and ending up dripping from the slave cylinder.

When pressing the clutch pedal, the slave is pushing the clutch fork, but I am not sure if the slave cylinder should push further the clutch fork to disengage the clutch. If the salve is operating as it should than, the trouble is within the Clutch itself :crying2:

Video of the Slave Cylinder in operation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.