Stuck in Gear? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Stuck in Gear?

Hi,

I've rebuilt the transmission in my car (4th transmission I've done) over the winter because I wanted to make sure my clutch problems didn't screw anything else up (I was grinding gears). After a lot of other mods, I drove the car and it shifted beautifully. I had it in neutral in the driveway for probably 45 minutes while I fiddled with the ignition timing and webers.

From there it was loaded on a trailer and brought to the shop to install a full cage (SCCA requirement). They also installed the panhard setup I had, cut the rear springs, lengthened the shock towers, and modified the exhaust to ensure clearance from the diff.

Yesterday they went to test the new Odyssey lightweight battery by cranking the engine while in neutral and the car moved forward. I went there today and when the car was in neutral, we pushed it forward and you could hear the pistons and valves going up and down.

Any ideas? I really need this car done already.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM

did you resize the bushings / any chance they are too tight ? You might ask Richard Jemison as I know he helped another guy with a similar problem. I think he had him drain the 75-90NS out and replace with 30 weight motor oil for a week or two.....??? Better to ask him tho, Alfar7 on the bb

goats

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump --speedo been around at least twice -- [B]needs new oil rings[/B]!
1995 LS Q runners Auto Green/tan [B]230K[/B] 100% LCD paint absolutely SHOT!
1995 LS 5 speed Green /tan 48K Q runners squadra chip 100 % LCD -- nice tight car
Misc parts laying around for 24V and 2Liter- always need more it seems
2004 Tacoma 4 door TRD (wifes car/kid hauler)- 172K
Mission Vsi, Mission Mod 2, - 20+ years of hockey on these!
radio flyer- rusty from disuse!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks. Actually, I inspected everything and it looked OK. The one thing I changed was the input shaft bearing and needle bearing between the driven/input shaft because I didn't like how the input shaft had play from side to side.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Stuck in gear

First, with the clutch in it should roll normally. If so that eliminates the possibility of the disk stuck on the flywheel which has nothing to do with a gear problem, but you can move the car with the clutch disengaged.

I suspect two things, with welders working in the car there is more than some likelihood of the shifter getting hit.

If you can move all 3 rods into all 6 gear positions and nothing changes re the "Lock" then likely you have a gear/bushing seized on the shaft.

If the balls & egg shaped shift rod locks were installed correctly technically it shouldn`t be in 2 gears at the same time. However remove the covers and shifter mechanism from the tower (all of it) and look at the position of the 3 shift rods. If you find that 2 are out of position when you first look, that means the locks are not in correctly. Move all 3 to the neutral position with a pry tool of some sort. That should free the transmission. If it doesn`t that means a shift fork is loose, and the slider still engaged, or if you messed with the bushings one has seized to the shaft. Either case you will have to re-open the box..

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"

Last edited by Alfar7; 05-17-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode