Mechanical Clutch 5-speed: Reverse Switch Access - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Mechanical Clutch 5-speed: Reverse Switch Access

Is it possible to access the reverse switch in-situ on a 5-speed with mechanical clutch? The switch on my Giulia is mostly working but has high resistance: I don't need to replace it, but I would like to spray it down with contact cleaner to try to fix the problem.

I know that replacing the switch requires transmission removal, but is there any way to get close enough to it to spray it down in the car? Pulling off the clutch access cover or something?

Just wanted to check if it was even worth trying. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Contact cleaner shouldn't destroy a clutch disc, so you might just try going in through the pivot fork access hole and blasting away in the general direction of the switch.

Check the switch wires where they pass through the bellhousing. I have seen them worn through the insulation and shorting out there. That could be a problem.

Otherwise, last time I was faced with yanking a transmission to swap a $2 switch, I did what the **** factory should have done in the first place. I went to Radio Shack, bought a small switch with a bit of an arm on it, made a simple bracket, and mounted the switch on top where the gear lever would actuate it when placed in reverse.

bs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Yeah, lazy minds think alike. Just spraying the crap out of everything was my first thought I was wondering if there was a more technical way to do things, but that's my fallback.

It's definitely the switch itself. It opens and closes properly, but when it closes it still shows high resistance...only a couple of ohms, but it's enough to keep the bulbs from lighting. There's probably some schmutz on the contacts.

Tom

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Turns out up on the passenger side there's an opening that gives you a clear shot at the switch. Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately, but worth a shot.

Tom

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Turns out up on the passenger side there's an opening that gives you a clear shot at the switch. Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately, but worth a shot.
Can you see where the wires go through the bell housing?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Not clearly, but I doubt that's the issue. If they were shorting there I'd be blowing fuses and see a short on the meter. From the look of things the issue is that the switch is a bit too far forwards and may not be getting pressed firmly enough by the selector rod.

Tom

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode