Mechanical Clutch 5-speed: Reverse Switch Access - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Mechanical Clutch 5-speed: Reverse Switch Access

Is it possible to access the reverse switch in-situ on a 5-speed with mechanical clutch? The switch on my Giulia is mostly working but has high resistance: I don't need to replace it, but I would like to spray it down with contact cleaner to try to fix the problem.

I know that replacing the switch requires transmission removal, but is there any way to get close enough to it to spray it down in the car? Pulling off the clutch access cover or something?

Just wanted to check if it was even worth trying. Thanks for any suggestions.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Contact cleaner shouldn't destroy a clutch disc, so you might just try going in through the pivot fork access hole and blasting away in the general direction of the switch.

Check the switch wires where they pass through the bellhousing. I have seen them worn through the insulation and shorting out there. That could be a problem.

Otherwise, last time I was faced with yanking a transmission to swap a $2 switch, I did what the **** factory should have done in the first place. I went to Radio Shack, bought a small switch with a bit of an arm on it, made a simple bracket, and mounted the switch on top where the gear lever would actuate it when placed in reverse.

bs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Yeah, lazy minds think alike. Just spraying the crap out of everything was my first thought I was wondering if there was a more technical way to do things, but that's my fallback.

It's definitely the switch itself. It opens and closes properly, but when it closes it still shows high resistance...only a couple of ohms, but it's enough to keep the bulbs from lighting. There's probably some schmutz on the contacts.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Turns out up on the passenger side there's an opening that gives you a clear shot at the switch. Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately, but worth a shot.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Turns out up on the passenger side there's an opening that gives you a clear shot at the switch. Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately, but worth a shot.
Can you see where the wires go through the bell housing?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Not clearly, but I doubt that's the issue. If they were shorting there I'd be blowing fuses and see a short on the meter. From the look of things the issue is that the switch is a bit too far forwards and may not be getting pressed firmly enough by the selector rod.

1991 Spider
1987 Milano Gold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.