T-5 Tranny conversions? - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM

86.5? w/c? doe's it use gear oil ot atf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Its a 1352-169 which in 1986 was W/C but of course my box was built last year and they stoped making non W/C a long time ago. It uses ATF
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Getting there

Bellhousing is now welded up and pivot for clutch fork in place, gearbox is now basically usable ( except for driveshaft) the guys doing the work generally work on tractors and thought it was finished like this with obviously no idea how tight it is in a GTV. Plate will be trimmed to match box.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hans-Peter; 01-27-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 PM

nice work,, but mine is much simpler to put togeather..no welding..
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

looks really good
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM

I agree, maybe stronger for racing this way?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM

I think Bianchi's adaptor plate would be much simpler and cheaper I also think it would be strong enough. I just really wanted a close 5th gear which I couldn't do with the Motorsport box which has the longer input shaft which the adaptor plate needs. That box is also probably stronger and has a more useful first gear.
One advantage of doing the conversion my way ( I can't claim any credit for this, it has been an unintended positive consequence )
is that the clutch bearing is supported when you remove the gearbox without the motor/bellhousing.
I think that unless you have a gantry crane and a hoist puting the motor with the T5 attached in would be impossible ( due to extra length ) , which is fine because putting them in separately will be much simpler.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM

just wait untill you drive this box, the shifts are sooo much nicer, up shifts/ downshifts are very sharp and clean..i would recomend a short shift tower for you car, makes the shifts even better.. are you goung to use a steel d/shaft or alumiumn? the latter will fit, but you must remove all the org, handbrake mounting hardware..i used a corvette hand/parking brake on my car. got to go to work now. will post photos of vette' hand/parking brake when i get home..oh yes.. the alum. d/shaft is one hell of a lot smoother, and less spin up weight,
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM

I am very much looking forward to being able shift gears without double declutching - sometimes doing it twice ! I'm sure its going to bring down lap times especially in traffic when I am concentrating on other things.
I am thinking about using a short shifter - not sure if they fit on the S10 gearchange - probably do.
I hadn't thought about the driveshaft but if you say aluminium improves acceleration I have to look at it. I don't really need a handbrake ( although it is handy ) also it must weigh a few kilo's.
What size tube are you using?

Last edited by Hans-Peter; 01-29-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 AM

it depends on you shifter location, if you have thr forward s10 location..nope..it wont work, i run the rearward mustang location,, s/s works well there.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM

Some more photos of T5 , shifter is roughly 35mm further forward although the two box's are sitting at a different angle so maybe less, ( so a T5 with the longer imput would only be 15mm different ) T5 looks much wider than Alfa box in the photo , measures out at about 25mm wider although its in different places so we shall see -- its a race car so if I have to cut some holes in the tunnel its not the end of the world. Also various tabs have to come off the T5.
Other photo shows scrap bits left oer.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 PM

One more , remeasured the shifter position and its only 25mm different.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread. I'm missing one thing that may have been covered, but I've re-read and have not found it. What is the pilot bushing used for this conversion? I haven't found a standard bushing that fits both the Alfa flywheel and the T-5 input shaft.

Thanks in advance.
Dean
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

My project has stalled a bit but I was planning to bore the bush out a bit , its a tiny amount.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 PM

mine was the org. bronze bush just bored out .010 bigger than the input shaft. a close fit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.