Good setup for built 2 liter motors - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Good setup for built 2 liter motors

Thought I would take a minute to let you folks in on a little something that made a big difference in the new motor I just got together, installed and have pretty much dialed in. Which is normally no big deal except this time I tried to build the motor to make power and torque at a sane RPM (below 7800). So I talked to a few people and tried Richards Jemisons 550 intake / 221 exhaust cam combination and have to say the result is impressive. The torque and power is alarming between 4500 RPM right to the rev limiter at 7000 RPM. Actually it's still pulling incredibily hard at the rev limiter but Richard assures me bad things will happen if I venture into the twilight zone. "But that's where I've spent most of my life" I explained to him to no avail. Have to make the disclaimer that the engine is not particularly factory components and that this setup is not for everyone, but then neither am I.!!!!

Happy Motoring.

Note: Richard has many cam designs for a range of motors.
Attached Images

Last edited by awesomeBLT; 04-10-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Ha! I told you you would be happy!
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM

"Have to make the disclaimer that the engine is not particularly factory components"

Are you telling me the exhaust manifold isn't stock? What a revelation!
How in the world do you change spark plugs?

Magnificent engine btw
Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Love the look of those headers, who built them.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:39 AM

yourn borimg bay
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM

those header.WOW i hope you don't have to remove them..
Old 04-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sniady
have you dynoed yet?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Director BC Chapter SNO
Platinum Subscriber

Interesting......++

1962 Giulietta Spider: Grafite Grigio/Red Interior, "Tuned" 2L. [Sold June 2014]
1963 101.12 Giulia Sprint: Dark Blue ,"Tuned" 2 L. [Sold June 2014]
1967 Giulia Super: Red/Black Interior,"Tuned" 2 L. Added in June, 2013.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Well, you have us all interested in more details about the engine..........
What components did you use besides the cams you have described? What numbers did you get out of it, or think you did. And how does this new engine compare to the previous 7K + RPM ones you have used before.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM

E Carrillo

The old engine made tons of power between 5500-8500 RPM. Downside is it only lasted for 5000 miles and broke a lot of parts (not the rods, pistons or crankshaft however). I drive the car 1000 miles a year, so a 5 year engine life wasn't bad.

New engine with Richards cams makes even more power and a lot more torque from "about" 4500-5000 rpm up to the rev limiter at 7000 rpm. And am not beating the engine to death by buzzing it up so high.

Internals:

Lightened Carrillo rods, 12/1 lightened JE pistons with Total Seal rings, custom main support girdle, Spruell oil pump, Spruell oil management trays, 8 lb aluminum flywheel, Sperry stage 5 head. Exhaust manifold as shown, European intake manifold bored out to line up with the Sperry intake ports and 48mm Weber DCO's. Crane multi spark digital ignition with an MSD programmable distributor and MSD wires. Oh yes and Richards cams, etc, etc.

Haven't had it on a dyno yet, but may do that after I get the final setup. Old engine made 203 hp at 8000 rpm, but was very peaky.

There is someone who does a lot of vintage racing in a GTV (and really knows his stuff) that is getting 205hp from about 5000 rpm to 7500 rpm with a smaller head, 45 DCOE's and Richards cams. I really can't say more than that other than it's there to be had with the correct components and setup.

Last edited by awesomeBLT; 04-12-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Glad to hear that you are happy with the cams. Richard seems to really know what he is doing. But I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that your friend's motor isn't making 205hp from 5000 to 7500 rpm. I've never seen a 2L Nord make that kind of power for anywhere near a 2500 rpm range.

Erik
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Hi Erik

Have been waiting for this response. Unfortunately all I can say is: that it is from a VERY reliable source with lots of dyno time to verify the data. Please contact Richard Jemison for more specifics, it's his relationship. He has sort of talked to this on the BB before and can verify the information. As I recall the RPM spread is correct.

b
Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 AM

AwesomeBLT, didn't intend to shoot the messenger. My only point was that a true 205hp is a very good number for peak horsepower on a 2L Nord engine. Achieving that number at 5000 rpm would be absolutely unheard of. On an accurate dyno normalized for temperature, pressure etc, the typical 2L from Beck, Besic, Norman etc makes right around 200hp. But at 5000rpm, they make 180hp at best.

On a related topic, I would love to see pictures of your custom "girdle". Do you have any to share?

Erik
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM

OK, so I'll state the obvious: "please don't shoot the messenger."

Geez, sorry no photos of the girdle. I believe we had this conversation before and I suggested a much more cost effective way to stiffen up the bottom end. Which is what I would do now, had I known of there existence then and as the engine is living at a somewhat more sane RPM.

Last edited by awesomeBLT; 04-13-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: am not sure
Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TS_turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericwood View Post
AwesomeBLT, didn't intend to shoot the messenger. My only point was that a true 205hp is a very good number for peak horsepower on a 2L Nord engine. Achieving that number at 5000 rpm would be absolutely unheard of. On an accurate dyno normalized for temperature, pressure etc, the typical 2L from Beck, Besic, Norman etc makes right around 200hp. But at 5000rpm, they make 180hp at best.

On a related topic, I would love to see pictures of your custom "girdle". Do you have any to share?

Erik
he mean both torque and power at that rpms not power only its almost imposible to get 100bhp/liter at such low speed 5k rpm
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.