Replacing stock L-Jetronic TPS for Micro/Megasquirt - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Replacing stock L-Jetronic TPS for Micro/Megasquirt

Hey All!

I'm in the process of converting over to an MS fuel management system right now and one of my biggest issues right now is finding out if there is a bolt on Throttle position sensor that would work in place of the Throttle position switch that is on the original L-Jet setups. I've seen people post about a bracket install for a TPS but the threads were so old that I don't know if anyone has that file anymore for me to fabricate it.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 08:41 AM

TPS will be one of the easiest things to take care of for a MS install, so if that's your "biggest issue" I'm quite envious.

I don't have a part number right now but can get one. There are several 3-wire TPS that will bolt to the original location with no modification necessary.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Al Mitchel - Reale made my bracket, powder coated it and supplied the TPS (Volvo, I think). Lots on information here: Installed Megasquirt today

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 09-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I'm not going to lie and say everything has gone perfectly so far. And actually this really is the least of my worries now, but I might as well start trying to find it.

Wiring is basically complete (with TP switch installed) and aside from the O2 sensor not getting signal everything else has been a go and I've gotten the car start and running, albeit very rough. Car was misfiring and not holding idle so I was getting ready to rotate the engine over to get to TDC for a realignment of the dist cap to make sure timing is good and during the process of removing the spark plugs... one broke.

So now I'm in a bind as a cracked ceramic portion of my spark plug decided to drop into a cylinder, (yay).

Hoping I can get that completely sorted out this weekend with the arrival of a new borescope and some macguyvered tools.

So yes, TPS is definitely not biggest issue, but I wanted to get an answer before I forgot out it again.

Any help on ANY of these issues would be great! haha

BTW, I'm going from 1980 Spica injected Spider, converting over to Microsquirt using a L-Jetronic TB and Injectors, Fuel only for not until I can figure out a Crank sensor set up. Project started when the head gasket blew and I was already tearing everything down and had a donor car for all of the EFI conversion parts. Will post pictures at some point once I get this Frankenstein's monster alive again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 AM

What Ed mentions above is probably the easiest. I know (and have) a TPS from a Porsche 944 Turbo will bolt up with no adaptors but the problem with it is it is a 5 pin connector instead of the 3 pin. I was never able to find the connector to convert (didn't really look that hard) so never used it. The TPS from some mid 80's to early 90's (can't remember exact range) Volvo's work fine but do require an adapter plate. That is what I'm using now, built my own adapter plate out of a hunk of aluminum that I had laying around. I was able to pick up a few TPS's from a pick-n-pull for less than $10 total.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Hardly a big issue

Look at the photos and you see how to do it! 5 holes in an adapted 3mm aluminium plate, a cut out for the connector and thats it!

I think you can do this!

G.
Attached Images

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:00 PM

if i am not mistaken the jetronic has a 3 position tps, but the mega. needs a variable resistance tps.their should be loads of those available.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:23 PM

The unit you see installed above is a potentiometer installed instead of the switch which was there before.

Showing how to install it was the intention!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor K. View Post
The unit you see installed above is a potentiometer installed instead of the switch which was there before.

Showing how to install it was the intention!
yes of course.a potentiometer or as i called it a veriable resistor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode