Megasquirt starting msq file base map 75 2.0TS needed - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Seabird
  • 1 Post By Seabird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Megasquirt starting msq file base map 75 2.0TS needed

Hello everyone,

After running my TS for 4-5 years now on carbs and crank fired ignition I have decided to switch over to a full EFI solution. Part of this is to solve some little annoyances I have had with the carbs and part of it is to learn Megasquirt to use on my race cars.

I have read both the advise to build your own startup file and I have read the warning Megasquirt gives about doing so. Both have valid positions. I have been going through their software and building my own to learn the software. BUT I am not interested in using this file unless absolutely necessary.

Is there anyone currently running a 2.0TS on Megasquirt and is willing to share a startup file? If so please let me know, mavidal at mavidal dotcom

Regards,

Miguel

Miguel
GTV-TS * Laverda 750S Formula * e46 M3 * Toyota WSR * SpecE30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Watching this thread...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Watching closely and w/ much interest too !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:03 PM

Garage
Definitely keen, props to anyone who can supply such a base map!!

i cavalli mai abbastanza, ed il peso sempre troppo...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Update, running driving car!!

Not having been able to find a working Megasquirt base map for an Alfa 2.0TS I moved forward by making my own. The task seems daunting at first but it is relatively straight forward once you have read through the manual, the Megasquirt forums, and played with the software.

I have attached my tune below for those that want a starting point. I would not recommend using it though. If you hit the easy button and just use this file you will have very little understanding of what is going on and why. Tuning and even getting your engine to run will be difficult. This tune will be a good reference for what a working tune should look like but I would not use it beyond that. No tuning has been done to this tune, it is enough to run my engine and drive it around the block but that is it.

While I am writing recommendations I might as well get another one out. When you finally get to the point that you are going to crank your engine over, if it does not fire, go back to the basics. An engine needs four things to run; fuel, compression, spark, and timing. If any of these are missing no amount of "programming" will fix it. Check for spark and fuel! If your plugs are not wet after failed cranking, your not getting fuel. While the plug is out, rest it against the valve cover bolts and crank the engine. If you don't see spark check your ignition system.

Long story short, after a week of trying to figure out where I missed in my programming I discovered I failed to wire the high pressure pump correctly (they are polarity sensitive despite not having polarity labels!) I tried endless changes to my maps and programming doing everything I could to get the msq to pump more fuel into the cylinders and in the end there was no fuel pressure in the rail.

I'll add some more up dates once I get a chance to tune the car a bit. Here are some pics:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/IMAG2442.jpg

http://www.msextra.com/forums/downlo...e.php?id=47632

Miguel
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

Not that I am on megasquirt or anything, but this is awesome...
Thanks so so much for the hard work so far!

As we all know every build is different, (and I see you using the stock intake plumbing of a TS engine, what was the build on the engine internals?
Got a link to the build thread?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Hey Ian,

Here is the original build thread. Gtv-ts

I think in that thread you will find a more complete list of what was done but the basics are:
RJ cam
10.5:1 Pistons from Spruell Motorsports
Alfaholics full exhaust
extra valve springs

Nothing crazy was just looking to beef up the motor for road use.

Regards,

Miguel
IanB likes this.

Miguel
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
Hey Ian,

RJ cam
10.5:1 Pistons from Spruell Motorsports
Alfaholics full exhaust
extra valve springs

Nothing crazy was just looking to beef up the motor for road use.
Seabird, I was comparing your advance to the 'stock' advance that 'festy' reverse engineered last year. It looked pretty differant, so I was wondering if you are still using the VVT or not? Also, have you taken a look at any of 'festy's' work?

on the VVT, I assume that would be a no as you have changed cams?

Upper is the 'stock' advance on WOT from Festy, bottom is your advance in the tune.

ScreenHunter_769 Jun. 22 08.28

Thanks
Ian

Last edited by IanB; 06-22-2016 at 06:31 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

The spark tables are based on Alfaholic's 3D mapped system that I was running with the carbs. Although I have yet to configure the VVT in the megasquirt I will be using it once the project is complete. I had been using it with the previous configuration.

RJ recommended the activation of the VVT at some fairly low rpm, cant recall right now but I want to say it was somewhere in the ball park of 1500-2000 rpm. I simply triggered a relay off the shift light output on the Alfaholics system to open the VVT solenoid. I do not have dyno figures to back it up but I can tell you I could feel a difference in the drivers seat. I dont believe Alfaholic's makes use of the VVT system on their TS projects so these timing tables may not be ideal for a VVT motor configuration.

A long time ago I did read through Festy's thread. There is some great info there for the stock programming. I am not that well educated in these matters to really contribute. I used what was provided by Alfaholics as they seem to have spent a fair amount of time developing their tables and TS cars.

The only complaint I had with this ignition table was a problem with warm starts; which I understand "might" have been timing related. Now that I have the megasquirt up and running using the same timing tables I doubt it was timing related. She has no problem restarting once warmed up.

Once I have the system fully operational, buttoned up, and a fairly tuned fuel table I will need to take the car to a rolling road dyno and see about tuning the spark a bit more. But that is a ways away; the race car needs a head gasket before the next race so the Alfa just got moved to the back burner again.

Miguel
IanB likes this.

Miguel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode