123ignition distributor - 15000 miles road test - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Also my first read of the instructions indicates I need a PC laptop to set it up. How this works with the wires that come with the distributor is beyond me (and I don't have a PC laptop), but Max at Alfaholics programmed in their own special program, in addition to the ones that come with it.
Biba - the programmable one will have a USB port that you plug a standard USB cable into. You don't need a laptop per se, but you need a computer that is close to your car or maybe a super long USB cable.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Stefano, thanks. Where would I find the USB port? I've not seen one but I understand there are mini USB connectors, but I can't find this one, whatever the size might be.

Will the car start without the computer?

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #48 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

There should be a hole with a port. Here is a picture of the hole with the black cable coming out. I would guess you could start the car without the computer but I'm not completely familiar with it.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com

post #49 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Question tii advance?

on the bmw tii, the bmw guys/girls, love the tii curve..1000 rpm 3*....1500 rpm 10*...2000 rpm 17*...2500 rpm 23*....3000 rpm 27*...3500 rpm 30* ... 4000 rpm 32*.. the motor is 2 liter any thoughts?

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #50 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM

123 go

I was running #4 and switched to "D" after reading up on this writeup. The car runs and idles much better. I also "red up" on the Bosch red vs Bosch blue coil. What I read is that the internal resistor in a blue is to help preserve the life of the points. Without points, you can use a hotter coil without an internal resistor such as a Bosch red. Runs better so far. Switched out my Bosch +4's to NGK BPR6ES plugs at $1.67 ea! Nice price.

I was very happy to see my compression was 142 even in all cylinders.

More checking to do on the fuel system. Not sure if I'm keeping the mechanical fuel pump. The carbs are preigniting, and the spitting doesn't entirely go away with warming up go or by pulling out the choke . I need to replace the gasket in my FISPA filter with a $70 kit from Geoffrey Ohland at PARTSOURCE. Glad these rebuild parts are still available.
post #51 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Dr G,

What's the part number of the Bosch "red" coil you are using?

-John
post #52 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

================================================== ==========
Order Summary
00013 BMW Mercedes Ignition Coil - Bosch 00013 (1) @ $40.99 = $40.99
Subtotal: $40.99
Shipping: $0.00
Order Total: $40.99

sales@fcpeuro.com

German company selling Brazilian made parts for your Italian beauty.

Preignition solved by adding an electric fuel pump. It seems the mechanical pump just not putting out sufficient fuel pressure. If the carb spitting went away by piggbacking in a fuel pump, and all my filters are new, makes sense to me!

0 221 119 030 -741

00013 is all you should need
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr.G; 03-24-2013 at 06:49 PM.
post #53 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Next up MSD install. There is a very nice place right behind the glovebox area inside the car.

( I know the engine bay is dirty, but getting the engine running better before housecleaning.)
post #54 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM

Wes, are you sure the Bosch red coil can be used reliably in the 123 distributor? I don't use the 123 but I think the manufacturer recommends against using low resistance coils such as the Bosch red coil. The blue coil has an internal ballast resister and is higher resistance.

Two companies that sell similar ignition sensors, Hot Spark and Pertronix, specifically warn against using low resistance "hot" coils with their ignition modules. I don't know what the 123 uses, but I kinda suspect that its module may come from the same Chinese factory as the Hot Spark and Pertronix. Pertronix now has II and III version modules that are more robust and can be used with low resistance coils, but the I version cannot. It might be prudent to check with 123 and see if their latest versions can use low resistance coils.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #55 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The data that I have seen on the Bosch Red coil gives 1.3 ohms for the primary resistance. 123ignition state that it should be used with coils of 1 ohm or greater. So it looks to me that the red coil is a good choice if you don't plan to use an MSD box or similar device to drive a blaster type coil.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #56 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM

I'm not well educated on this but

2002 IGNITION SYSTEMS AND CONVERSIONS

led me to believe I could use a red coil and an MSD.
Couldn't get the MSD 6plus running today, but there is a not-so-well-explained green wire that I may need to cut on the MSD. I'll call on Monday to try to figure it out.
post #57 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM

It was a sad day as my mechanical fuel pump doesn't seem up to the task. Then no start with the MSD, but tomorrow is another day.
I do agree with Racetep that the Carter p4070 is a great pump. Just opening the box and comparing it to a Mr. Gasket pump is a joke. Mr. Gasket has no bracket, no isolation hardware, no clamps etc. I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow with "Mr. Carter" when I get a new main fuel line from Williams Oil Filter.
post #58 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
led me to believe I could use a red coil and an MSD
You can. You can also use coils with lower impedance.

I have my 123 hooked up to an MSD6AL. PM me if you want my telephone number. I will be happy to help you.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #59 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM

IMHO, an MDS6A in combination with a good breakerless distributor is a splendid choice for an ignition. The 123 w/ programmable capability brings everything to a new level of tuning since you have the option of starting with one of the built in well-established curves and then tweaking it to fit the engine in your car.

Ed, I thought the Bosch red coil had a lower resistance than 1.3. I stand corrected.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #60 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I too had assumed that the red coil was below 1 ohm until I looked it up.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode