1600 to 1700 conversion - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

If you search the forum, there isn't much information on the conversion that I could see. My purpose is to caution other people so they can learn from my experience.

This is a beautiful car that came out of California. One of the best preserved I've seen. The previous owner was well into restoring his car when he passed away. I was trying to keep it stock appearance, and upgrade the internals. Yes, I have the 536 block.

Always had fun talking with Charlie, who is a terrific person. Never was treated rudely or made to feel stupid. But Charlie is gone. I felt straight off that I've been dealing in a whole new ball game since Charlie's been gone, and I don't think it looks good for their business. I think it will go away. You can't treat customers perfunctorily in a small community and survive.

I tried both a Bosch JF4 and the 123 distributor set on the D curve. I bought a tunable 123 and was going to have another Weber tuning session from Ralliround after I'd finished the interior.

I heard about the block 1750 enlargement from two different people on the West Coast after the liner cracked.

Stay tuned. I'll post as I work through this and I hope other people will share their experiences, just like Chisholm.
Before this I need a few measurements which I'll work on when I'm half time in a few weeks. This project has been one step forward, two back as we say.

Chisholm, good luck on your project.

No more 1600's after this.

Last edited by Dr.G; 05-22-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Looking for these:

I plan on using them to monitor exhaust gas temperature (EGR). A drop in EGR can signal detonation in a cylinder. I've gone this far, so switching to a 1600 piston and liner set isn't much different than buying Darton ductile iron liners for my Paul Spruell blown liner. I have exhaust manifolds with the untapped flats. I'm trying to save myself some work by buying manifolds already tapped. I'm also buying a AFR meter along with tapping the exhaust for the AFR sensor.

I also will have to find out if I can reuse these Total Seal rings or not. Only 300 mi.

Monitoring EGR, AFR, and stronger liners will be some more money, but everything in this engine was reworked. The Spruell conversion was really fun, until it wasn't.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dr.G; 05-21-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode