164 12v mr2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 AM

164 12v mr2

Hi all, not to sur how this will go down but hay ho,

My nane is geoff and i'v just compleated what i belive to to the only alfa to toyota mr2 conversion.

Started with my 1989 mk1 mr2 that had a 1.6 4A GE engine around 124bhp.
The clutch was on its way out so looking on ebay for a clutch and started looking at v6 engines as you do. Always been in my minde to do a conversion but didnt want to folloe the croud with the camry swop. So i found a 1990 164 3.0 v6 12v engine box loom shafts and ecu.
The work then started with the removal of the old engine very easy job.

Didnt have much to do to the new lump not long been serviced with belts ect just a new clutch. again not to bat with it on a pallet in the garage.

Had the alfa drive shaft ends machined to fit mr2 hubs and a 20mm and 25mm
spacer made to extend the shafts.

After the engine bay was cleared of the old mounts and pipe work moved it was time to see if the new lump wold infact fit. Well you know it did or i wouldnt be hear.
It was very tight but once it was in and driveshafts on the engine was lined up and new mounts made and fitted. The hard work was done well thats what i thought.
Pluming was simple.
But the i moved on to the wiring running a standard 164 ecu i had to splice the loom and sort out starting with no real experiance to talk about it was a real test. long nights in the garage testing each wire but slowly it all came together and she lives

The car is now driving. she goes like a rocket very diffrent to how she was before if feels like shes all grown up now.

Still things to do as always but hope to find the help on hear to finisher to a high reliable standard.

Thanks Geoff

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 AM

Oh my. I need to see pics of the engine compartment please!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM

not the best photo its an old one will take some more later
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 AM

awesome work
Old 04-10-2012, 05:36 AM

Now that is definitely different!

What is access like to service the timing belt?

I have to say that I am a bit concerned about 1 thing.
Engine mounts.
The main Toyota engine mounts are, as you know, at the front of the engine and 1 on the gearbox. There are then the 2 smaller mounts that resist the torque movement of the engine.
Given the Alfa 12 valve V6 used the original lower engine mounting points to support the mass of the engine, I'm guessing you are doing the same?

Any way, the lower torque mounts in the Toyota chassis aren't designed to take the engines weight and resist the engine's torque movement, especially the front 1. Suggest you keep a very good eye on them over a long period to ensure they are surviving.
They have been know to get destroyed with a decent bit of torque (read: lots more than a standard Alfa V6) acting against them when they are used as per their original design. Holding up the Alfa donk as well may be asking a lot.

Keen to see more photos.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to aenlle
Send more pictures and information

Would love to see the details of your transplant!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Hi all, thanks for you intrest,

Hi Duk, i have infact made all new mounts myself out of 4mm plate to a over engineered spec i dont think they will be a problem.

A have made a service hach behind the drivers seat to get to plugs and oil filler.

When the belt needs to be changed the engine will come out. A weeked job

Will a diff from a 1996 164 super fit on 1990 164 or are they to for apart?

Thanks G

Last edited by geoffmr2; 04-10-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Nice job! Could you post up some more build pics? There is a thread on another forum about an Audi V8 into an MR2
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM

Yes thats a guy called Paul Woods and its a audi 4.2 v8 in a mk1 using a audi R8 exhaust. Now thats one epic build.

I need to go through all my pics and i'll get them up when i have
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 AM

car looks tuff, i hope it drive the same
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM

id LOVE to see the build pics for this
Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Wow the alfa v6 is almost 2 times longer then the camry 3L
that is the normal swap. I am very surprised that it fit.

So how do you like the sound track?

The sound on the 164 is a bit weak compared to the north south due to the different lengths coming out the header to the merge. The front bank much longer making a timing imbalance at the merge of the exhaust pulses.

how did you do the exhaust plumbing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.