Building a 200HP Twin Spark - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Hard to tell without driving it on the road but I will let you know .
1969 Spider JR Twin Spark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69alfa View Post
IT"S ALIVE !!!

All seems well . No leaks or bad sounds and no smoke

I drove it out of the garage to turn it around and I stalled it
The new clutch may take some getting use to .
It is idling ok but not as well as it did before. I think the Inovate O2 controller has lot it's programming . Not sure how it happens but it did the same thing last year. The computer can run fine without the O2 sensor but it works much better with the correction data from the sensor.

Should get it all sorted after work tomorrow and do some test driving on Saturday . Then off to Mosport on Sunday to watch the races and do a lap at the lunch break
Well done Dave!!!
See you Sunday
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69alfa View Post
Hard to tell without driving it on the road but I will let you know .
Dave -
Are you doing the Alfa Touring in Lexington? Will we have a chance of keeping up with your "1300 Junior"?????

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gordy Hyde[/FONT][/B][/I]
AROC-USA Secretary
Home chapter - NWARC
1971 Junior Zagato 1750 (1800605)
1974 Spider 2000 Iniezione (no carbs)
Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM

I will be at the convention but not the tour .
Anyone want to drag race for pinks this year?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Have you tried to install the injectors on the throttle bodies? perhaps you could get some more HP at high speed due to the longer distance, more time for fuel vaporisation...
Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM

I have thought of running two sets of injectors . The inner Alfa ones for low speed and the outer GSXR ones for high speed . I have used one of the throttle body injector ports for a vacuum source . That would have to change but it would be easy to put back . The best thing is the DTA computer supports dual injectors .

The down side would be the dyno time to get it working just right . And the plumbing to get fuel to the two rails . Maybe this winter if I get bored

I just put bigger injectors in this week . They are 399 cc/min the old ones were 190cc/min . All I had to do was remove 45% of the fuel from the map and it starts and runs fine .

I have an dyno run setup for Monday to get it tuned up nice and see how much power she is making . Then off to the convention the next day .
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

I am starting to itch all over With my final assembly around the corner seeing yours go together I am having a hard time restraining myself.

Can't wait to see the numbers! Congrats!

Miguel
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Dyno Results

I am happy to report the numbers from my first Dyno run on the newly rebuilt motor.

It showed 171.6 HP (rear wheel) at 6500 rpm at that point it hit the rev limiter .

The HP was still climbing well at that point but the motor only had a few miles on it and we left for the convention right after so it was decided not to push it too far.

It is hard to say what the conversion to flywheel HP is . The best info I could find was from Puma Race Engines Technical Guide - Measuring Engine power - engine dynos and rolling road dynos The math would work out to 171.6/0.88 +10 or 205 HP That would be good very good .

It ran very well on the way down to the convention . Needs a few tweeks and a bit of getting use to .

It sure get my heart pumping when the pedal meets the metal

It will ping if it is pushed too hard in too high a gear but it is easy to avoid .
I will refine the mapping to get rid of that when I get back home .
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Congratulations!!! seems your have met your power target at the beginning of the project, it's a great power for a spider, how it feels?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Well done Dave!!!!
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Subscriber

David, make me one just like it. That must feel terrific being rewarded by an extra special TS after all of that time/energy, along with what I'd imagine more than a few (Canadian) dollars later.

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Thanks for this whole write up Dave, totally awesome. I've hinged my engine build on this thread - very similar hardware (minus injection) so it should be a repeatable result.

How have you found the cams ? Where is the power range and how do they idle ?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

awesome! so much for the people that say the twin spark isnt a worth while swap
Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks Guys ! It is a great motor made even better with the right parts.

It does make a few pops here and there but that is just too much fuel on over run .

The motor idles just as well as it did on the old cams . BUT the idle is tightly controlled by the O2 sensor and timing control . A motor on carbs and distributor may not do as well ???

As the engine speed drops from 1200rpm the computer gives it more and more spark advance to keep it running . And the Innovate O2 controller holds the fuel at precisely what I set it to.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to clemensh83 Send a message via AIM to clemensh83
Hi Dave!

Great to hear that you hit the 200 HP!!! Congrats!

Would be nice to see a dyno graph!

Grats Clemens

Tags
alfaholics, carrillo, engine cleaner, jim kartalamakis, paul spruell, twin spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.