105 Twin Spark Engine Oil Level - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

105 Twin Spark Engine Oil Level

I'm hoping someone can help with these questions, related to dropping a Twin Spark engine into a 105 Alfa:

(a) After you swap the stock Alfa 75 Twin Spark sump over to the 105 "bat-wing" design sump, what total volume of engine oil will the 105-sumped Twin Spark then require? Obviously, I don't want to overfill or underfill the engine oil.

(b) After the abovementioned sump swap over, will the stock Alfa 75 oil dip stick then show an accurate reading as to the oil level in the Twin Spark engine?

Regards,

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 04:26 AM

I had the same debate, search for a post called dipstick.
Originally I used the 75 dipstick without problem.
I am now using the original 105 motor stick, remember you have fitted the 105 oil pump so the pick up only needs a 105 oil level.
Mind you if you use the 75 stick which is perfectly safe, you will never run out of oil ! as the qty is the huge!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 AM

105 Twin spark engine oil level

When converting the TS engine in our Giulia, I have used the original TS dip stick. After filling up the engine with 6,5 liter oil I have made a indication of this level on the dip stick as max indication.
This enables me to easily verify if level is ok.
75 TS A.S.N.1382 / 156 SW JTD
Guzzi 850 Le Mans I
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hi Crash,

I was worried that searching for the word "dipstick" may have returned a photo of myself ... but you've now put my mind at rest.

As for using a 105 dipstick, that sounds like an idea, but so does MIaGuilia's suggestion of re-marking a maximum level on the 75 dip stick, which I already have.

Also, I'm concerned about overfilling the engine with oil, as this can be as problematic as underfilling it.

Hi MIaGuilia,

Given the significant shape (and possibly volume) difference between the 75 and 105 sump pans, I'm wondering what the best recommended oil volume is for a Twin Spark engine with a 105 sump. How did you arrive at the figure of 6.5 litres?

Regards,

Nick
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM

You cannot overfill it
The 75 stick is fine, but can you afford so much oil! It will not thrash the crank webs, it will take 20 miles to warm up!
The 105 stick is fine coz it was designed to work with that pump.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.