3-wire windshield wiper wont park properly - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

3-wire windshield wiper wont park properly

I am experiencing a vexing problem with the park function of my WW motor. After a time consuming search I was lucky to source a used working original 3-wire Bosch motor for my 1750 GTV. Unfortunately, although the wiper does a good and complete sweep of the windshield, it parks about 6 inches too high from the bottom of the windshield. If I manually reset the parked wipers to the bottom of the windshield, the down sweep of the wipers ends up beyond the windshield frame and onto the cowl. I am wondering if the problem can be solved by repositioning the cogged wheel in the motor drive. The only change to the original system is the foot switch has been eliminated entirely from the electrical network. Its only function is to pump wiper fluid.
Has anyone experienced this phenomena? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1970 GTV (owned since 1987)
1985 GTV2.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I think I figured it out with the help of Google.
The motor is out of sync with the positioning of the wiper linkage (and the wiper blades). To get it back in sync, I need to disconnect the motor from the linkage. This is necessary to free motor's shaft. Operate the motor and switch it to the park function. With the linkage free from the motor, move the wipers by hand to the desired park position. Reconnect the motor to the linkage. I am gonna try this tomorrow. Hope it works.

1985 GTV2.5
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:03 PM
That is correct. But if the joints are sloppy it can difficult to park consistently.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks gprocket.
I couldn't help but admire your garage contents. Do you still own all those gorgeous Alfas?
Cheers, James

1985 GTV2.5
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2000 View Post
The only change to the original system is the foot switch has been eliminated entirely from the electrical network. Its only function is to pump wiper fluid.
It isn't accurate to say "Its only function is to pump wiper fluid" - the foot switch also runs the wipers at high speed for as long as the pedal is held down. If you just unplug the foot switch, the wipers won't work on low speed. So when your foot switch was eliminated, did you add a jumper to the foot switch connector to substitute for the normally closed connection in the switch?

Having said all that, I can't see how eliminating the foot switch would cause the parking problem you describe.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
It isn't accurate to say "Its only function is to pump wiper fluid" - the foot switch also runs the wipers at high speed for as long as the pedal is held down. If you just unplug the foot switch, the wipers won't work on low speed. So when your foot switch was eliminated, did you add a jumper to the foot switch connector to substitute for the normally closed connection in the switch?

You are absolutely correct. Before changing the wiper motor, we found only two strange wires connected to the foot switch and it became too complicated FOR US to correct the entire circuit. Since the car will not be used much in the rain, we decided to bypass the electrics the foot switch to simplify the restoring of the wiper function. We did not jumper the foot switch. Power is now connected directly to the wiper (console) switch. The wipers now work only from the wiper switch. The only use for the foot switch is the pump for the fluid.

Having said all that, I can't see how eliminating the foot switch would cause the parking problem you describe.
Correct. The foot switch has no bearing on the park function. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for your comments, James

1985 GTV2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode