1600/1750 weak start motor ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

1600/1750 weak start motor ?

I put a 1750 motor in my Duetto , using the old transmission/bellhausing /flywheel /startmotor (2-bolt type). I have started the car many times now , and it runs fine. But the starter has allways cranked the engine over very slow . Almost stopping up sometimes. Even before droping it in the car. I've had the starter apart , and done all the tests I can find on you tube, using a multimeter, but I can't find anything wrong. Bearings/bushes ,teeth ,brushes look good. no internal rubbing. The battery is New and so are all the Heavy cables (I have not done voltage drop test over these -I will ). Maybe the brushes could be dressed better (there are only 2) ? Is this motor to weak for the 1750 ? I have never had the 1600 running - so can't compair - but I don't realy think the larger engine is the problem.
Any advice to get here ? Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM

Where is your static advance set? An engine with a lot of low-speed advance will be difficult to crank.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Jay is right !
Check the timing.
If the starter doesn't turn very quickly or it makes troubling noises, you may have the wrong tooth combo on starter/ flywheel.
Or the starter may need a rebuild, or the engine has too high compression.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I set it at the F mark or was it T , - the one right next to P. To much advance and it has a very hard time. But even doing a compression test , it slows Down alot on the compression stroke. I should also mention that I have a groud cable to the engine (+ an exstra one to be sure), and I had no voltage drop over the solinoid. The comunicator on the starter was kind of dirty. I cleaned it up but dident do much With the brushes. Think I should try filing them flat ?

Last edited by alfatrym; 04-19-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
Jay is right !
Check the timing.
If the starter doesn't turn very quickly or it makes troubling noises, you may have the wrong tooth combo on starter/ flywheel.
Or the starter may need a rebuild, or the engine has too high compression.
The combo - starter /flywheel are from the original sett up -they have always been together. .I can buy a New starter - it would have to be a Three bolt -thats all I can get New. But The original starter is pretty simple - everything looks good - and I would like to find the cause first.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Yes, troubleshoot and then buy parts.......
or it may be a simple adjustment !

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes ! So I take it that- these old starters normaly don't have any problem cranking the engine at a good speed ? Concerning the 1750 , I bought it a long time ago . no starter or alternator. Though I havnen't opened it up , Everything about it ,tells me that it hasen't been modified, or worked on. I'll try and dress the brushes a little better , maybe get some New ones if posible. In the end -if it dosen't work - I'll give up and buy a New.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

When new, there was no problem with the standard parts !
On such an old car, don't assume anything.
Once, my '64 Spider blew a head gasket. Fixed everything including having the radiator rebuilt to get the oily milkshake cleaned up.
After reassembly, the car would over heat quickly just at idle...
Checked all of the usual suspects, all good. /then pulled the shinny newly rebuilt radiator and took it to another shop to test..
75% clogged.....
All the first shop did was to spray it black.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

My English is getting better : its called beding the brushes and dressing the comunicator !
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I hear You. The New starter is for a 1750(3 bolt) With 110 tooth starter ring , but it will also work on the old style 2 bolt belhausing With 105 teeth, they claim. Proably true , but there have been some disapointments With New parts. Papajam has had some posts about this topic and i Guess they did switch to a different style starter (3 bolt) in 1969, wich was a replacment for the old 2 bolt style starter. But that was when Alfa was running the show.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfatrym View Post
I'll try and dress the brushes a little better , maybe get some New ones if posible. .
There may be some benefit in having a professional electrical shop test and possibly rebuild the starter. They may find that there is a broken/shorted lead in the armature or field, or some other problem that isn't visibly obvious.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-19-2017 at 02:04 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
There may be some benefit in having a professional electrical shop test and possibly rebuild the starter. They may find that there is a broken/shorted lead in the armature or field, or some other problem that isn't visibly obvious.
That is so true , I called the local Bocsh Shop , that have done tings for me in the past. They said it had been years since they rebuilt anything. But I gave them the starter nr , they are going to se if they can find some new brushes. They said the motor went out of production in 2002. This is a small town, so there are not a lot of specialty shops of this kind around here. But I'll give it one more shot and see. The new one isn't that expensive, and sending it out to a professional is going cost at least the same wether they can fix it or not.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Remove the starter solenoid and reverse the "Shorting bar" on the end of the shaft. This provides better continuity where the bar touches the contacts and more current is available to turn the starter motor. I did this on a 1971 1750 spider, and the increase in cranking speed was significant.

Edit: I just realized you said there was no voltage drop over the solenoid, so my advice may have been in vain...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 04-19-2017 at 07:19 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I think I have found the problem . On the second check with the Fluke , I found the field coil is leaking to ground- 35 m ohms.
I was not albe to loosen the 4 big screws holding it , but gave the screws some penetrating oil and I'll try the impact driver tomorrow. A new field coil is located , and is about half the price of the new starter . I'll get it of ,and take a look at the problem first , but I am tempted to try and fix it with a new FC.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfatrym View Post
I found the field coil is leaking to ground- 35 m ohms.
Thirty-five ohms, or thirty-five mega ohms? If it's 35 MΩ, then I doubt that's the problem.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode