Giulietta Wiring Help - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Giulietta Wiring Help

In drawing up a Giulietta Spider wiring diagram, I've discovered that the factory diagram does not have a wire (or sender for that matter) from the oil pressure gauge to the engine. In fact, none of the different model Giulietta diagrams I've looked at have this wire. Assuming that Alfa just didn't 'plug a hole in the dash' with a non-working pressure gauge, it would seem that this wire was somehow omitted.
I would be most appreciative if a Giulietta owner could pop the hood and see what color the wire is that attaches to the oil pressure sending unit. I believe the sender is located just above the starter.

TIA

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Jim,

Giuliettas have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The "sender" is a flexible line that connects to the block below the exhaust manifolds and next connects to a hard line that runs up the firewall, past the brake fluid reservoir, then trough the firewall and connects to the gauge.

Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Trained Professional

Mucho thanks, Bob! Always thinking in electrons, and obviously having no practical experience with the Giulietta series, it obviously never occured to me that the oil gauge was mechanical. Perish the thought that a factory diagram could be incorrect.

And the drawing continues....

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 05-08-2004, 02:38 PM

This was Funny

we all have done something like this sometime.
I had the tach/oil gauge out of a customers car years ago. and At lunch the customer came in and started his car like a idiot. anyways he was a high$ guy and had on High $ cloths , You know what he got, a good lot of oil shot at him as the line come dead center in the dash holes Oh ya Things happen.
Peter
Old 05-16-2004, 07:55 AM
Trained Professional

Another question.

Is there a wiring difference between the 10103 Euro and 10104 US Spiders? If so, what?

What about the 10107 and 10125 Euro and US Spider Veloces? Any known differences in the wiring for these cars?

TIA

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 05-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Jim,

First, although the 10104 designation appears in the usual reference books, such as Fusi, for US Giulietta Spiders, every US Giulietta Spider I have ever seen (including mine) has a "10103" ID tag on the firewall. I seem to recall a thread about this on the 750/101 List a few years ago, and no one had ever seen a "10104" tag.

With respect to wiring differences, 101 Euro Giulietta and Giulia Spiders had side-marker lights on the front fenders (but not 750 Euro Giulietta Spiders), while the US cars did not. The same for Sprints; I'm often accused of having add-on side-marker lights on my '59 101 Sprint, but they are correct since it is a Euro car.

For both Euro and US 101 Giulietta Spiders, a wiring change did occur in July 1961 when the cigar lighter was added, although I'm not sure when this made it into the wiring diagram.

On a final point, having re-wired both my Spider and Sprint, there is total confusion between the wiring diagrams and the cars concerning green versus gray wires.

Bob
Old 05-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Trained Professional

Thanks for the eye opening reply! Leave it to me to open yet another can of worms.
It seems that the way things are may not necessarily be the way things are on paper. The 10104 and 10125 model numbers, as well as every model, chassis and engine number from the 750C to the 10126 Sprint Zagato, I got from the Giulietta parts pub. #776 dated 11/61. The diagram I'm drawing is based on what's in the Giulietta Instruction Book #772 dated 10/61 that shows side lights that flash with the turn signals Would you know where I could beg, borrow or steal a copy of a diagram that doesn't have these lights? Or a diagram with a later publication date than 10/61?
Also, do you know where the lighter gets it's power from and the wire color?

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.