Alfa Romeo Forums banner

88 Spider Veloce sputters intermittenly

848 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cshelton 
#1 ·
Hi Fello Alfa owners and hopefully, mechanics! :)
I am having a re occuring issue with my 88' Spider Veloce where out of no where, I'll be driving and the engine loses power and starts to sputter. Then a it will re gain power. I had the gas line checked to see if it was a gas issue. It starts up just fine so not a starter issue and then wondered if it was loose wires...ie electrical issue? I do have one of those auto shut off dials connected to the negative / ground terminal of my battery and that was tighted recently to eliminate that. Could it be wires to the engine? The car is driven about 30/ yr and kept in a clean garage. I wondered about dust to the connectors? But again, a clean garage so wonder if anyone could provide some insight and/ or a reliable mechanic in Richmond, VA.

Thanks
Cliff

#2 ·
Is your battery disconnect the type that attaches directly to the battery and has a green knob? I've had trouble with those - just as you describe. Those disconnects are good for testing purposes - when you want to repeatedly connect & disconnect power - but I don't advise leaving them in place for extended driving.

An easy test would be to remove the disconnect and see if the problem goes away.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Do you lose all electrics or just engine power? What does the tachometer do when the issue happens?
The tach doesn't move because when I press on gas pedal no gas. But all electrics work:hazards, radio, blinkers, ect.
So it just happened again and I waited as tow truck was on hold�� and all of a sudden, I got power and raced home to avoid tow charge.
So back to square one and did take off green dial on battery and had connected the standard way.

#4 ·
The tach doesn't move because when I press on gas pedal no gas. But all electrics work:hazards, radio, blinkers, ect.
So it just happened again and I waited as tow truck was on hold? and all of a sudden, I got power and raced home to avoid tow charge.
So back to square one and did take off green dial on battery and had connected the standard way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.