Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Best Voltage Reg for Bosch Gen

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ganunez 
#1 ·
Its 2016 , is the Mexican electronic Bosch is still the only/best option ?
Mine died..., first over charging to 16v now nothing. It lasted several years, after 40+ years of the original with points.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Its 2016 , is the Mexican electronic Bosch is still the only/best option ? Mine died..., first over charging to 16v now nothing. It lasted several years, after 40+ years of the original with points.
Are you saying that an electronic regulator failed after "several" years? I had that happen with an alternator regulator. The mechanical regulator was working fine, but I figured that an electronic one had to be more reliable. Big mistake; the electronic one failed in the middle of nowhere, started putting out >> 12 volts, cooked the electronic ignition and I was stuck. The old mechanical regulator would probably have lasted another 100,000 miles.

Are the mechanical regulators for generators no longer available?

#7 ·
My point is that there is still a stock of NOS VW regulators out there. Just like most Original Alfa parts, NOS can be found if a serious search is done.
Not by calling Centerline.

#8 ·
After some searching found that NAPA has an original style reg made in USA by Echlin, looks just like the old Bosch, for 67 Beetle with gen app. Note that Bosch make two that look identical except for suffix E , for gen , U for alt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.