Sitting still - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Senior Texas Member
Gold Subscriber

Sitting still

Got in this morning to take a drive and after turning it on to get the pump going and then a quick crank and no start, I turned it off to try again. This time turned the switch and no pump, crank, click. Tried the lights which are unswitched, no lights. No horn. No interior or underhood lights. I have nothing from the battery. Battery sits at 12.7 v right now. Checked the main ground and it is good and tight.

What happened, and where do I start??? Never had this before so dont know where to begin.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 08:40 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Bill - Check the main battery cable connection on the starter as well as the connectors on the top of the battery. Are the battery cables look in good condition? You know you have good voltage at the battery. Now just start going downstream until you find the incontinuity.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Texas Member
Gold Subscriber

Well that didn't take long.
Thanks RT. I went from the battery to the starter and checked all the connections going to and coming from it. Voltage was good. Everything checked out tight and good, but I went ahead and loosened the hot leads on the top, wiggled them around a little, sprayed a little electrical juice, retightened and Behold, POWER !!!
Now the only question remaining is "What the heck was that all about"? I mean I have had bad grounds and loose connections before which stopped the starter from working correctly,or the horn from blowing, or the lights from coming on, but never lost all current to everything, switched or unswitched!! Guess I'm not drinking enough Italian wine...OUT YOU **** GREMLENS !

Anyway, thanks for the help.
'Till next time,
Bill

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Hi Bill,
Sounds just like what mine did.
Here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-chassis-lighting/27451-complete-electrical-failure-solved.html

I could not believe it either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.