Electrical- Batt Light/no Gauges - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Electrical- Batt Light/no Gauges

Neophyte at work. The battery light on the dash went on. No gauges, radio, tach, pilot lights, etc were working. (I had recharged the battery and it starts the car.) Assuming it was the alternator/voltage regulator I removed/replaced the alternator without checking it.

Started the car, same problem.. There was an intermittent period where the batt light went out and all was OK. But that ended (I think when I turned on the headlights but not sure).

All isn't working again. Is there some fuse or relay or whatever?? I've read the forums and it looks like the place to start is clean cables, fuses etc. Where would you start? Is there some "magic" fix, a relay or something that I'm unaware of?? Help. Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Welcome to the BB, Tom!

You didn't mention what type of Alfa you have... You could try to do a search in this forum, and also on the one specific for the model of your Alfa. This topic has been covered and discussed in several threads.

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM

This is a really old post, so hopefully trcar has already solved it for himself. However, I just went through this and wanted to post my findings for posterity.

Same issue on my '86 spider...Either get the alternator warning light and dead gauges or live gauges with the alternator light off. "randomly" toggling between the two states. Turned out to be a loose fuse #8...tricky find because of the alternator light being on...(must be back-driven through the ECU?). Anyway, I bent the fuse-holder tangs towards each other and all is well for now. I plan to put a bit of surgical tubing (rubber band) around the fuse and holder to keep the tangs from relaxing back to their intermittent connection state.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

You'll find that fix doesn't last all that long as the heat breaks down the elastic pretty quickly leaving you with the same problem plus bits of loose stuff to clean up at slightly longer intervals than you do now.

A much better plan in your case would be to aquire an 87 or later fusebox (I believe it's the same box up to 94, but to be safe, I'll say 87-89) which uses the modern type fuse in it, do the straight up exchange (remove wires one at a time from the original one, plug them in to the corresponding spot on the replacement, repeat til done) and never worry about that stuff again.
ghnl's '82~'89/Series 3 Spider L~jet diagnostic page
as hosted by
Greg Gordon's HI Performance Store
& OK Injectors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.