AM Radio Reception Noise - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 AM

AM Radio Reception Noise

I just put a new Sony radio in my 84 Spider. The only issue is extreme static(just in AM reception). The static follows the engine revs.
My solutions? I disconnected the windshild antenna and installed a rear post antenna. With noise filter. I also installed an aftermarket in-line power supply filter. (I question the need for these)
Also replaced the plug/coil wires with new Bosch from IAP.

Seems to have improved, but is still very loud. What have I missed? I suspect perhaps something in the charging system?

Keeth Lawrence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Is the noise filter you put in like this?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oMpFpz7...150&I=127ANS80

cause I know alternators can cause noise.

The Crutchfield ad also says FWIW,
"Sometimes alternator whine can be cured just by topping off the fluid in your battery or properly grounding your in-dash stereo."

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2007, 10:17 AM

a ground for the hood and exhaust help a lot, the exhaust hangs by rubber hangers and acts like an antenna. a ground strap across the hood hinges helps keep the noise inside. alternator noise is usually a whine that gets higher pitched with engine rpm, spark plug noise is a popping that gets faster with rpm. the fuel pumps also can get noisey, thats where I would put an inline filter.
cliff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.