tach problems - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

tach problems

Hi I live in Peru and own a 1982 gtv2.0 (mostly know as an alfetta-gtv)...I`ve made some mods to the car especially the ignition (platinum NGK plugs, accel coil and accel cables) and recently installed a mallory hy-fire 6AL ignition. Unfortunately once the module was installed the tach doesn`t work. I would really appreciate if anyone out there had a similar problem and gave it a solution. I know that there are tach adapters from mallory and don´t know which one to use. Also if anyone out there made it`s own adapter, I wanted to know the principle on which the adapters work so that I can correct the problem without the brand-named apadters. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Ennio!! Glad to see that you've made it to the BB! Welcome aboard.

I'm sorry to say though that I'm not familiar with the 6AL ignition but someone here will be able to help you.

BTW, the manual is finally on it's way to me!

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
Hi I live in Peru and own a 1982 gtv2.0 (mostly know as an alfetta-gtv)...I`ve made some mods to the car especially the ignition (platinum NGK plugs, accel coil and accel cables) and recently installed a mallory hy-fire 6AL ignition. Unfortunately once the module was installed the tach doesn`t work. I would really appreciate if anyone out there had a similar problem and gave it a solution. I know that there are tach adapters from mallory and don´t know which one to use. Also if anyone out there made it`s own adapter, I wanted to know the principle on which the adapters work so that I can correct the problem without the brand-named apadters. Thanks.

I installed a MSD 4 Dis ignition and had the same problem we tried to hook directly up to the tach output but got nothing. The shop that did the work said that this is common and they send the tach's off to Palo Alto in Calif. to set the tach up to read the MSD.

http://www.paspeedo.com/

One thing you might try first through is tie the negitive termanals for your 6AL ignition and connect a wire from that to the tach termanal. Tifosi told me to do this but the tach was already in process of being shipped out to Palo.

Last edited by msiert; 04-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Welcome to the BB, Ennio!

I don't have a solution for your tach issue, but I would follow what Murray said, and you may also want to do search...

Best regards,
Enrique

P.D. Yo también soy peruano - es bueno saber qua hay afición por mi marca favorita en nuestro terruño natal....
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

AROC-USA Member
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the support. The guy that installed the ignition, connected the tach output wire from the ignition box directly to the tach and it didn´t move. He told me that if we knew the principle by which the adapters work (amplify or modify current) he could come up with something. I´ve asked mallory and the guys at summit, since there is a cheap adapter for 30 bucks but literature says that as I am using the magnetic pick up I must use an adapter that is worth 105 bucks!!! I will tell you what goes on.
Murray- Do you have the e-mail of Palo Alto Speedo, the webpage doesn´t work.
Enrique- Veo que no soy el único peruano alfista jeje, puedes entrar a www.alfaromeodelperu.com hay un foro de alfistas que nos reunimos a veces.
papajam- hope the manual gets to your hands soon
Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 PM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Ennio,

Palo Alto's e-mail is "info@paspeedo.com". Check your access, because the web site that Murray posted is correct, and if you click on the link on his post - it works...

Voy a entrar al foro - de seguro este fin de semana me apunto... ¿Cuando se reúnen? Me encanataría acoplarme... Y se les hace falta algo, ya saben que yo se los consigo con todo gusto... ¡Un saludo por anticipado para todos los aficonados de mi querida tierra!

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

AROC-USA Member
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Old 05-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Yes please let me know, my option in sending it to Palo is costing me more than $150 more like $300+ plus the labor to hook connect the MSD to the tach.

Are you guy call me names "Voy a entrar al foro" soulds like something I my wife calls me.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

Murray, MSD sells a Tach adapter for about 50 bucks so you can use it in your application, you may want to look at it at summit racing. Th problem with me is that as I am using the mag-pick up I can´t use the "cheap" mallory solution: an adpater that costs 30 bucks....I must usean adapter that costs 105 bucks!!! So if you can really explain in detail the "tifosi" solution or give me the contact info (mail) of him so he can help me out on this one.
I-mailed MSD to know if their 50 buck adapter would work with my mallory box, I am still waiting for the reply.

Enrique- We have had like 4 meetings in which various alfas came up (two 155, two 146, alfasud ti,various 33, *all of these models never reached the US shores officially*, 1963 giulia sprint, 1966 giulia ti) and it seems that people are becoming more interested. Te esperamos en el foro!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Talking

My tach know does work, I bought the MSD tach adapater PN 8920 and revs like new!!! It costs about the half of the mallory unit and works perfect!!! So everyone who installs an MSD /Mallory ignition box, install the tach adapater and save money on the tach convertion!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.