Alfa Romeo Forums banner

tach problems

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Ennio 
#1 ·
Hi I live in Peru and own a 1982 gtv2.0 (mostly know as an alfetta-gtv)...I`ve made some mods to the car especially the ignition (platinum NGK plugs, accel coil and accel cables) and recently installed a mallory hy-fire 6AL ignition. Unfortunately once the module was installed the tach doesn`t work. I would really appreciate if anyone out there had a similar problem and gave it a solution. I know that there are tach adapters from mallory and don´t know which one to use. Also if anyone out there made it`s own adapter, I wanted to know the principle on which the adapters work so that I can correct the problem without the brand-named apadters. Thanks.

#2 ·
Ennio!! Glad to see that you've made it to the BB! Welcome aboard.

I'm sorry to say though that I'm not familiar with the 6AL ignition but someone here will be able to help you.

BTW, the manual is finally on it's way to me!:)

#3 · (Edited)
I installed a MSD 4 Dis ignition and had the same problem we tried to hook directly up to the tach output but got nothing. The shop that did the work said that this is common and they send the tach's off to Palo Alto in Calif. to set the tach up to read the MSD.

http://www.paspeedo.com/

One thing you might try first through is tie the negitive termanals for your 6AL ignition and connect a wire from that to the tach termanal. Tifosi told me to do this but the tach was already in process of being shipped out to Palo.

#4 ·
Welcome to the BB, Ennio!

I don't have a solution for your tach issue, but I would follow what Murray said, and you may also want to do search...

Best regards,
Enrique

P.D. Yo también soy peruano - es bueno saber qua hay afición por mi marca favorita en nuestro terruño natal....

#5 ·
Thanks for the support. The guy that installed the ignition, connected the tach output wire from the ignition box directly to the tach and it didn´t move. He told me that if we knew the principle by which the adapters work (amplify or modify current) he could come up with something. I´ve asked mallory and the guys at summit, since there is a cheap adapter for 30 bucks but literature says that as I am using the magnetic pick up I must use an adapter that is worth 105 bucks!!! I will tell you what goes on.
Murray- Do you have the e-mail of Palo Alto Speedo, the webpage doesn´t work.
Enrique- Veo que no soy el único peruano alfista jeje, puedes entrar a www.alfaromeodelperu.com hay un foro de alfistas que nos reunimos a veces.
papajam- hope the manual gets to your hands soon

#6 ·
Ennio,

Palo Alto's e-mail is "info@paspeedo.com". Check your access, because the web site that Murray posted is correct, and if you click on the link on his post - it works...

Voy a entrar al foro - de seguro este fin de semana me apunto... ¿Cuando se reúnen? Me encanataría acoplarme... Y se les hace falta algo, ya saben que yo se los consigo con todo gusto... ¡Un saludo por anticipado para todos los aficonados de mi querida tierra!

Best regards,

#7 ·
Yes please let me know, my option in sending it to Palo is costing me more than $150 more like $300+ plus the labor to hook connect the MSD to the tach. :mad:

Are you guy call me names "Voy a entrar al foro" soulds like something I my wife calls me. :D

#8 ·
Murray, MSD sells a Tach adapter for about 50 bucks so you can use it in your application, you may want to look at it at summit racing. Th problem with me is that as I am using the mag-pick up I can´t use the "cheap" mallory solution: an adpater that costs 30 bucks....I must usean adapter that costs 105 bucks!!! So if you can really explain in detail the "tifosi" solution or give me the contact info (mail) of him so he can help me out on this one.
I-mailed MSD to know if their 50 buck adapter would work with my mallory box, I am still waiting for the reply.:)

Enrique- We have had like 4 meetings in which various alfas came up (two 155, two 146, alfasud ti,various 33, *all of these models never reached the US shores officially*, 1963 giulia sprint, 1966 giulia ti) and it seems that people are becoming more interested. Te esperamos en el foro!

#9 ·
My tach know does work, I bought the MSD tach adapater PN 8920 and revs like new!!!:D It costs about the half of the mallory unit and works perfect!!! So everyone who installs an MSD /Mallory ignition box, install the tach adapater and save money on the tach convertion!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.