Spider Headlight Issues - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Spider Headlight Issues

'91 Spider - neither low nor high beam worked on pass. side. Tried known good sealed beam, no lights. Tried to trace wire back thinking maybe a lose plug or something. No luck. Then checked fuses (again). All good, but bases on some of them has some oxidation. By wiggling around the fuses, got the low beam to pretty much work (light looks kind of yellow like it is not getting full juice). But when I put the high beams on, no high beam on that side and the low beam goes out! I am guessing still a bad connection in the fuse box. What should I do other than replace the fuses - should I try to clean the contacts where the fuses plug in and if so with what? Spray electrical cleaner? Thanks for the help!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM

[
Quote:
By wiggling around the fuses, got the low beam to pretty much work (light looks kind of yellow like it is not getting full juice). But when I put the high beams on, no high beam on that side and the low beam goes out! I am guessing still a bad connection in the fuse box. What should I do other than replace the fuses - should I try to clean the contacts where the fuses plug in and if so with what? Spray electrical cleaner? Thanks for the help!
[/QUOTE]

Hi, Paul:

It sounds like you might have a bad ground. I'd check that first.

Jim
Old 04-28-2007, 05:51 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbinct View Post
...What should I do other than replace the fuses - should I try to clean the contacts where the fuses plug in and if so with what? Spray electrical cleaner? Thanks for the help!
The problem is not likely with the fuses, but with the contacts in the fuse box itself, and/or the connections behind the fuse box. It is not uncommon for these connections behind the fuse box to corrode and cause the headlights not to work.

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 AM

headlights

Thanks for the input. I did clean the headlight grouns and it looked fine. I know that bad grounds can make weird things happen, so I will recheck that. How do I get to the back of the fuse panel to try to clean things up.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:49 AM
In the Spider's Nest
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Zunige
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbinct View Post
... How do I get to the back of the fuse panel to try to clean things up.
I've never done it on a series 4 Spider, so I don't know if you will have to remove the knee bolster to get behind the fuse box. In any event, you do have to remove the fuse box to get to the back connections. This is not necessarily that hard, but you do need to pay attention to detail, and be patient. Note carefully how everything is connected, tag the wires, take pictures, etc. Do you have a manual, or a Cardisc CD? Try a search here on the BB as well, since I'm sure cleaning connections behind the fuse box has been covered before...

Best regards,
164 91S, 93L & 95Q

Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA
DARKSIDE MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.