I give up, where's the flasher on a '71 spider 1750 ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 PM

I give up, where's the flasher on a '71 spider 1750 ?

This is my first posting, I joined the club last week. This is my 4th Alfa over the years, and like all the others it needs some tweeking. I just bought it 2 weeks ago in the Oakland area and drove it back to Portland with the top down, and expired plates!! Now it has a new top and I am trying to get the rest of the kinks out. The first problem is no turn signals or emergency flasher(or maybe it's a relay?) I've been all over this car and can't find where it is or was. Not that this is the problem, but it seems the place to start. Does anyone know of a replacement flasher, since the original seems to be unavailable? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, a happy Spider owner.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

I won't be able to get out to my car until tomorrow evening, but I believe the flasher unit is behind the dash. It's parked for the winter in a position that makes it difficult for me to see under there, but I'll try and take a look. Failing that, I've got the manual out there with it, and maybe that will give a hint (unless someone else comes through with the location before then).

I believe I've read (probably on the board here somewhere) that a faulty emergency flasher switch will keep the directional signals from working as well. You might want to make sure the emergency flasher switch is actually hooked up.

I would also double-check to make sure power is reaching the flasher circuit before assuming the flasher itself is at fault.

Finally, since you're new here, you might not be aware that member Papajam has drawn up many Alfa wiring diagrams in glorious color, so much easier to use than the ones in the owner's manuals, and they're in the electrical forum. The one for the '71 Spider is here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/a/5405-10562-1750-spider-veloce-1971-electrical-diagram.html
Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonwi
This is my first posting, I joined the club last week. This is my 4th Alfa over the years, and like all the others it needs some tweeking. I just bought it 2 weeks ago in the Oakland area and drove it back to Portland with the top down, and expired plates!! Now it has a new top and I am trying to get the rest of the kinks out. The first problem is no turn signals or emergency flasher(or maybe it's a relay?) I've been all over this car and can't find where it is or was. Not that this is the problem, but it seems the place to start. Does anyone know of a replacement flasher, since the original seems to be unavailable? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, a happy Spider owner.
The OEM flasher is a rectangular box under the dash that has 4 male electrical connections. It has a screw going through the middle of its body that fixes it, usually to the left side of the metal framing of the body structure that supports the sterring column. If you do a search there was a photo posted showing location. There is no relay and only one flasher for both directionals and hazzards. The OEM flasher is hard to get. There are american 4 pin units that will work as well a VW unit used on the 70's bus. It is very important to keep the wiring correct, it is an electronic unit, if you miss-wire it will blow.
ex: http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/
solve problems, learn something new!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up WOW, thanks for the quick reply

I really appreciate the quick responce. Thanks for the good advice. Now I just have to hire a contortionist to crawl under the dash and look for it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.