I give up, where's the flasher on a '71 spider 1750 ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

I give up, where's the flasher on a '71 spider 1750 ?

This is my first posting, I joined the club last week. This is my 4th Alfa over the years, and like all the others it needs some tweeking. I just bought it 2 weeks ago in the Oakland area and drove it back to Portland with the top down, and expired plates!! Now it has a new top and I am trying to get the rest of the kinks out. The first problem is no turn signals or emergency flasher(or maybe it's a relay?) I've been all over this car and can't find where it is or was. Not that this is the problem, but it seems the place to start. Does anyone know of a replacement flasher, since the original seems to be unavailable? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, a happy Spider owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 PM

Garage
I won't be able to get out to my car until tomorrow evening, but I believe the flasher unit is behind the dash. It's parked for the winter in a position that makes it difficult for me to see under there, but I'll try and take a look. Failing that, I've got the manual out there with it, and maybe that will give a hint (unless someone else comes through with the location before then).

I believe I've read (probably on the board here somewhere) that a faulty emergency flasher switch will keep the directional signals from working as well. You might want to make sure the emergency flasher switch is actually hooked up.

I would also double-check to make sure power is reaching the flasher circuit before assuming the flasher itself is at fault.

Finally, since you're new here, you might not be aware that member Papajam has drawn up many Alfa wiring diagrams in glorious color, so much easier to use than the ones in the owner's manuals, and they're in the electrical forum. The one for the '71 Spider is here: 10562 1750 Spider Veloce 1971 Electrical Diagram

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]1987 Alfa Romeo Milano d'Oro[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonwi
This is my first posting, I joined the club last week. This is my 4th Alfa over the years, and like all the others it needs some tweeking. I just bought it 2 weeks ago in the Oakland area and drove it back to Portland with the top down, and expired plates!! Now it has a new top and I am trying to get the rest of the kinks out. The first problem is no turn signals or emergency flasher(or maybe it's a relay?) I've been all over this car and can't find where it is or was. Not that this is the problem, but it seems the place to start. Does anyone know of a replacement flasher, since the original seems to be unavailable? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, a happy Spider owner.
The OEM flasher is a rectangular box under the dash that has 4 male electrical connections. It has a screw going through the middle of its body that fixes it, usually to the left side of the metal framing of the body structure that supports the sterring column. If you do a search there was a photo posted showing location. There is no relay and only one flasher for both directionals and hazzards. The OEM flasher is hard to get. There are american 4 pin units that will work as well a VW unit used on the 70's bus. It is very important to keep the wiring correct, it is an electronic unit, if you miss-wire it will blow.

current:
83 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up WOW, thanks for the quick reply

I really appreciate the quick responce. Thanks for the good advice. Now I just have to hire a contortionist to crawl under the dash and look for it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:16 PM

flasher unit for 1971 Alfa Spider (USA)

This thread helped me locate the flasher unit on my '71 Spider. Unlike the photos I've seen of other flashers online, mine is rectangular and narrow. I'm uploading pics that show its location between the main fuse box and the steering column, as well as pics that show the wiring of the pins, the outside of the box (with its product info), and the disassembled box.

I think I need to replace my flasher, but I cannot find this unit online (I have searched Centerline and ClassicAlfa and Ebay). It is also unclear to me what other type of flasher would be a suitable replacement. Does anyone know?

Second issue is that my flasher doesn't blink anymore. My car battery popped and I lost almost all electrics (no running lights, no flashers or hazards, no reverse lights... but headlights still work, brake lights still work, license plate lights still work, some dash lights still work). Of course I replaced the battery, but that didn't help with the lights. Replacing all the fuses in the fuse box and also replacing fried bulbs also didn't restore the lights, so I think there must be other problems caused by the blown battery. But I don't know what those would be or how to check for them. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek
Attached Images

Derek DiMatteo
1971 Spider
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 PM

Hey Derek-

I have the same flasher on my '74 and yes, they often go bad. I thought I had a direct fit replacement lined up but it didn't work out the way I expected - I'll post more on that once I sort things out with the vendor.

As far as a replacement goes you should be able to buy a 550 or EL13 style universal flasher at any auto parts store. If it's like my '74 the red power wire will go to the "X" terminal, the joined black and black/white wires to "P", and the blue/black wire to "L".

Regarding your other electrical problems before you go any further send AlfaBB user "Papajam" a PM requesting a wiring diagram for your car. He's the AROC librarian and has created vastly improved color wiring diagrams for most common Alfas:
Available Wiring Diagrams

Good luck,
Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:34 AM

What about the fourth wire?

Hi Jason,
Thank you for the reply and I am definitely interested to hear about your quest for a replacement -- if you are successful or not, and what part you tried.
I am a little confused by the suggestion of trying a universal flasher:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrington View Post
As far as a replacement goes you should be able to buy a 550 or EL13 style universal flasher at any auto parts store. If it's like my '74 the red power wire will go to the "X" terminal, the joined black and black/white wires to "P", and the blue/black wire to "L".
That universal module has only three pins, but my flasher unit has four pins (and four wires) -- I am assuming yours does, too. What happens to the fourth wire when you run out of pins? What functionality are you losing by not connecting that fourth wire? Maybe the wiring diagram would explain it. But if you know and can explain it, please do.
Thanks,
Derek

Derek DiMatteo
1971 Spider
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekDiMatteo View Post
Hi Jason,
Thank you for the reply and I am definitely interested to hear about your quest for a replacement -- if you are successful or not, and what part you tried.
I am a little confused by the suggestion of trying a universal flasher:

That universal module has only three pins, but my flasher unit has four pins (and four wires) -- I am assuming yours does, too. What happens to the fourth wire when you run out of pins? What functionality are you losing by not connecting that fourth wire? Maybe the wiring diagram would explain it. But if you know and can explain it, please do.
Thanks,
Derek
The universal flasher doesn't need a -12V ground wire, so that connection goes unused. The only other difference in wiring for me was the blue/ black wire going to the arrow indicator bulb between the tach and speedo pods. The stock flasher provides an intermittent ground so the other pin on the indicator goes to +12V. The universal flasher provides intermittent power, so you connect the other pin of the indicator to ground instead. Works great.

The alternative I was looking at was an aftermarket flasher provided by Pantera Electronics, since the early Panteras use the same 4-pin flasher. I thought it would be designed to fit in the stock flasher module box but that turned out not to be the case. Since there wasn't really a good way to mount a bare circuit board the seller agreed it probably isn't a great fit for Alfa Spiders. He refunded my money and is going to pull the eBay ad targeting Alfas. It's a shame, since it would only take minor modifications to make his unit a direct replacement for our cars.

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 04:11 AM
Trained (ex)Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Derek,

As Jason mentioned, a standard #550 flasher will work. Please click below for the diagram to wire it in.
The wiring diagram for your 71 Spider is on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 4-Way E-Flashers-2.pdf (107.4 KB, 38 views)

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode