new member - some info & insight - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Platinum Subscriber

new member - some info & insight

Hi Everyone, I'm soon to be an Alfa Spider owner and since I'm on ly a bit familiar with these auto's I have a few questions.
I'm looking at an'88 Veloce Spider 89K miles no issues, new interior, tires brakes, decent top, no gearbox issues & new paint. Asking $4200.

Also looking at an '88 Graduate - a few door dings & faded spots on the original red, 1st to 2nd gear grind, no leaks, decent top & tires, some rust under the trunk carpet and is asking $3995 or best offer

I'm not sure what the price range is for these Alfa's & whether or not the gear grind on car 2 is a deal breaker.

Any suggestions would be great.
They both claim nice running & driving cars.

Thanks
alanpavlic
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 05:17 AM

Alan,

I'd recommend you buy the best condition car you can, particularly since there's only a couple of hundred of dollars between them. You'll easily spend the difference trying to improve/fix the lesser car. When purchasing, I'd consider the following in order of importance: body, top, interior, engine, trans, tires, suspension, exhaust, brakes. Electrical issues fall somewhere in between. I keep them out since you'll likey find nagging issues that you'll either decide to live with, like an inaccurate tach, or spend lots of money to fix.

Since these cars are so inexpensive to purchase, you'll find that even just parts will quickly flip the economics of a car that needs work, but is $1000 less, than a nicely maintained car.

Mileage is not particularly important, and low miles can actually be a bad thing. Brakes, in particular, will freeze with low use. Exhaust systems and even engine components don't like to sit over time.

If you're buying in PA, I'd suggest buying a car that passes inspection, including emissions. Many cars are registered as classics which makes them emissions exempt.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

bob brady
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

[QUOTE=bobbrady;880687]Alan,

I'd recommend you buy the best condition car you can, particularly since there's only a couple of hundred of dollars between them. You'll easily spend the difference trying to improve/fix the lesser car. When purchasing, I'd consider the following in order of importance: body, top, interior, engine, trans, tires, suspension, exhaust, brakes. Electrical issues fall somewhere in between. I keep them out since you'll likey find nagging issues that you'll either decide to live with, like an inaccurate tach, or spend lots of money to fix.

Since these cars are so inexpensive to purchase, you'll find that even just parts will quickly flip the economics of a car that needs work, but is $1000 less, than a nicely maintained car.

Mileage is not particularly important, and low miles can actually be a bad thing. Brakes, in particular, will freeze with low use. Exhaust systems and even engine components don't like to sit over time.

If you're buying in PA, I'd suggest buying a car that passes inspection, including emissions. Many cars are registered as classics which makes them emissions exempt

Thanks for all your input and advise...really appreciated. I'm going to pick up the Veloce in a few days and will keep you posted as how I make out.

Thanks again
alan
Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

wow - new home for Spider Veloce

Well, made it back from Richmond with the '88 Spider and after getting lost around DC a 3 1/2 hour trip took over 6!

The Spider ran great with no problems even in hours of stopped traffic & 90 degree weather. I had never driven an Alfa & the last time I had a 2 seater was a TR7 some 30 years ago.....the Alfa is definitely a true sports car in every respect.

Nice car & mechanics are perfect...everything works & shifts smooth thru all gears. Gotta get use to the tight pedal locations but all in all a great car!

Thanks for the advise & hope to make some events & compare notes.

AlanP
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

I hope to be a Alfa owner soon, my first. I'm looking at the Spider's from around 85-92 and I will use this car about twice a week probably. What is it like to own a Spider - could you shed some light on the maintenance cost / intervals etc.? I plan to buy a spider from around $5K+.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.