Need someone to paint the Duetto - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Need someone to paint the Duetto

Hi all,

Does anyone have someone to recommend for getting a car painted? My project car is ready. The car is completely stripped and the body work is done. What's needed now is the detailed prep, prime and a single stage paint.

Thanks, Al
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lee Hjelsand
Years ago when I lived in Newtown, Pa I had the same problem. Coincidently also a duetto. However I finally towed it to Maaco in Langhorne and they did a magnificent job. These guy spray paint day in and day out. They get really good at laying down a nice finish. I sold the car to a fellow from Doylestown and he took it to the Macungie concours and took home best in class. It wasn't just the paintwork of course, but the car looked mighty good

Lee
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Lee,
Thanks for the reply. My last project car which is now my summer driver, a 1973 Spider, was painted by Maaco in Langhorne on Rt 1. They did a good job and I may end up going back to them although they have moved down to the Bristol area on Rt 13. But for the Duetto I was interested in considering a little better job.
Regards, Al

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lee Hjelsand
Some Macco shops have a specialty section. Maybe check with them. I used a shop in Freehold NJ when I had Belmar Foreign cars that did a lot of my work and were very proficient

Lee
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

For anyone else in the area looking for a auto body shop to do good work I can recommend the place I ended up at, Chris Auto Body in Lambertville, NJ (ask for Allen). They were recommended by a friend that had work on his BMW done there. Plus when I saw on their website they had completed a resoration of a step nose GT I figured I needed to talk with them. The shop is run by two brothers, one that does the insurance claim work (in and out stuff) and the other works on "special projects". I ended up spending a bit more than I planned but the result was worth it. I did the main body work but their "artist" did the finish work and it looks great (I think). And the paint went on beautifully with attention to getting at the hard spots. If anyone need any more details let me know.

Happy Roads, Al
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
the paint job came out excellent.

how has the progress been on your car since the painting?

1992 alfa romeo spider veloce
2000 saab 9-3 coupe
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
That looks really nice! What color is it exactly? Looks a tad darker than the stock AR514

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

lgbalfa and Peter,

Thanks for the comments. Work is progressing but I seem to have a fundamental ability to underestimate things. The car was supposed to be basically back together. As it is I've got the engine rebuild complete with engine and transmission back in and misc engine compartment details 90% complete. I've completed the front end rebuild and re-installation. At present I'm getting ready to re-install the rear end after new bushings and cleanup/paint of everything. Taking the axle/differential from 40+ yrs and ??? miles to something that look pretty is a bit of an effort. Doing all the work myself except for the finish body work and paint. I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a ready set of worthy pictures to attach. Give me a day or so and I will post some. Otherwise the paint looks quite close to what it had been painted. Peter, the paint code was not AR514 which I recognize from later 105/115 cars. See attached pic for the paint code from the car. It's a ROSSO 95-C-9068. I was thinking the 1967 cars had a different paint code system than the later cars. Do you know?

Happy Roads, Al
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Duetto Restoration

Some pics of status.
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM

alfa friendly paint shop

Hi,
I like the work so far :0

86FireVeloce "V" Racer
5 (in Latin), Veloce, and Victory

Last edited by 86FireVeloce; 04-04-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: other posts covered the same thing
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Al, the paint looks really good. I need to have mine worked on as well. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll drive up to Chris Auto Body and talk to them. Did you look at any other places in the area to compare prices?

Reed
1977 Spider
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi Reed,
I had plans of checking different shops out but never did. Based on the recommendation I got from a fellow car guy (BMW sort) and talking with the guys there I decided to just go with them. If the body guy and paint guy are still there I believe you'll get good work on the car. Good Luck with it and let us know how things end up.
Regards, Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode