Kettle Call Rally & Ferrari Convention - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Kettle Call Rally & Ferrari Convention

Last week was full with excitement. It all started Friday morning while my wife and I where heading northbound on 294 to meet our group of car enthusiasts for a caravan to Road America. The meeting time was 8:00 am at the Lake Forest Oasis, we were running a few minutes late and traffic was becoming an issue. Once past I-90, I notice a guy wearing a red shirt walking in the middle of the Tollway. I said to Graziella, "who's that nut walking in the middle of the road and without an empty gas container"? It turns out to be Joe LaBarbera whom we were to meet at the Oasis, he waves me towards him and explains that he's looking for the rear wheel of a Testarossa owned by our other friend Dominick Busa's whom had just lost his tires going Northbound towards our meeting spot. I noticed the traffic coming to a crowl and feared the worse. I realized that all was ok with the exception that a rear 24" tire was missing from a Testarossa, the single hub was nowhere to be found and it was becoming a highway circus with one Testarossa body on the ground, another one parked right behind it and a bright yellow 1750 GTV in front of both cars.

A state tropper no shorter than 7' tall walks out of the squad car and is amazed to see two Testarossas parked to the sides, trucks coming within 12 inches of the cars and two wild Sicilians looking for a massive tire and a hub.

Needles to say, here comes Dominick rolling this monster tire across the southbound lanes and Joe coming from what seamed a 1/2 mile south of the parked cars with the hub intact. The Testarossa's tire apparantly hit the barrier missing all northbound vehicles, flew across 4 lanes of southbound traffic without killing anyone and landed on the grass 80 feet away from the barrier!

Using the other jack from Joe's Testarossa, we raise the car, use the other jack to bring it up and perch other jack at correct jack-point, visually inspect the car and install the massive tire and hub. All of this is happening within 30 minutes, believe it or not!

So now you have traffic gauking to view the cars, construction workers coming over to know and take pictures of the cars, a 7' tall officer wondering what in the hell just happened and to make this story complete, Dominick in his best Sicilian gesture, pulls out the espresso thermas and lights a cigarette as if nothing ever happened. He says, "lo prendi un cafe'"!

This is a true story guys, the go home to drop off one Testarossa and proceed to catch up to us later that day before the start of the Rally.

The picture below is of the two characters adamiring their cars at another event. Classic!
Attached Images

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The Rally was a great time, well organized and something to remember. The gang asked to get off as a group, first thing we do after the start is to visit the gas station to fill up our cars since we were all running late. 15 miles into the rally, our group had already an amazing 45 miles on our odometers. Needless to say, we were absolutely awefull but we managed to have a great time and finished approx. an hour after everyone else checked in. The event had something like 70 cars and was a great success, with proceeds going to three main charities. Here are some pictures from the Rally start.

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6

Last edited by Chi Si Dici; 08-12-2009 at 02:55 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Great shots & story - thanks for posting. That Ghibli is B E A U T I F U L !!

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Hi Carm,
Thanks for sharing the great photos of the event!

Bigger and better next year!

Dominic won a prize (The Last Open Bar- Siebkens Poster)for his grueling experience. I loved the way he handled it- so cool.

Great to have you guys. The charities were thrilled. The sponsors were thrilled. And the participants loved it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM

I'd also like to point out that it was C.I.A.O. that put together the Kettle Call Rally with Smiletrain.org.

We hope it turns out to be a long and prosperous relationship in raising money for cleft palate surgery for underprivileged children.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here are some of the cars at the track on Saturday.
Attached Images

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

A few more nice cars. I love the 308 GT4's
Attached Images

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:21 PM

hey carm, lots of great photo's. and some fantastic cars!, what is the green car with the wire wheels? a stunningly beautiful car. and whats the grey metalic car from the photo taken from behind? I'm not up on all these exotic cars.

I went out the other day in the green spider, up into the mountains where there was this long straight road and nobody around, so for the first time I decided to see what it could do. I had it up to 95-100 as I was a little too chicken to go faster than that. wow, what a thrill and the car just hummed along like it was loving it. it could have gone much faster as the engine wasn't really straining much at all at that speed. had to put a new thermal actuator on it recently and now it runs very smooth and nice. keep up with the postings and photo's they are great!

did you see in the latest issue of alfa owner that only one car was entered at the portland convention concours in the series 2 section? one car, a 78 spider, and guess what? it won! it got 92 points. so most likely I would have won against one 78 spider had I gone to it. 6 boat tails were entered. lots of good photo's in the magazine of the event. perfect weather for it too.

see ya, Brian G.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Green car is an Apollo GT and the grey metallic car is the fabulous Maserati Ghibli

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgarv View Post
hey carm, lots of great photo's. and some fantastic cars!, what is the green car with the wire wheels? a stunningly beautiful car. and whats the grey metalic car from the photo taken from behind? I'm not up on all these exotic cars.

I went out the other day in the green spider, up into the mountains where there was this long straight road and nobody around, so for the first time I decided to see what it could do. I had it up to 95-100 as I was a little too chicken to go faster than that. wow, what a thrill and the car just hummed along like it was loving it. it could have gone much faster as the engine wasn't really straining much at all at that speed. had to put a new thermal actuator on it recently and now it runs very smooth and nice. keep up with the postings and photo's they are great!

did you see in the latest issue of alfa owner that only one car was entered at the portland convention concours in the series 2 section? one car, a 78 spider, and guess what? it won! it got 92 points. so most likely I would have won against one 78 spider had I gone to it. 6 boat tails were entered. lots of good photo's in the magazine of the event. perfect weather for it too.

see ya, Brian G.
Below is a picture of the "green Spider" Brian is referring to. That was my ex 27K miles Spider I sold to Brian. Great to see cars going to great people and Brian is a class act!

Yes, the green car is an "Apollo". British car with Jaguar like proportions. First thing that struck me about the car was it's rear end. It reminds me of the Lancia Fulvia Zagato in some angles. It was a stunning car indeed.

I'm now in the process of chosing color for my '67 Super and it's getting me feeling real-good! I'll keep you posted Brian.

CIAO,
Carm
Attached Images

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:37 PM

very interesting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode