Centerline Acquires International Auto Parts - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

I have gotten good service at both. I would definitely say Joe gave a more personable level of service. I have, I believe, gotten a little better quality of part from Centerline.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

MEMBRO LATO OSCURO

69 850 Spider (A fond college days' memory)
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:46 AM

Don't know how many were employed at IAP, but I guess they are all out of a job......always a sorry state of affairs, these takeovers

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #63 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccaccia View Post
Perhaps Centerline will use the opportunity to upgrade their website.

Because IAP's website functionality is quite good, while Centerline's is well,...less than good.
Hmmm - I actually like Centerline's site more, I find it has clearer descriptions and photos of parts. Experience probably depends on what you're searching for. Hopefully the merger means more parts, perhaps faster shipping to the US east coast (if Joe keeps IAP in VA open as a sort of distribution center) and maybe better parts availability and supply access (as Centerline would presumably be the largest US supplier at this point). Good luck to all in any event!

post #64 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaglio View Post
Hmmm - I actually like Centerline's site more, I find it has clearer descriptions and photos of parts. Experience probably depends on what you're searching for. Hopefully the merger means more parts, perhaps faster shipping to the US east coast (if Joe keeps IAP in VA open as a sort of distribution center) and maybe better parts availability and supply access (as Centerline would presumably be the largest US supplier at this point). Good luck to all in any event!
In any merger, the goal is to eliminate costs, not increase them, so the idea of an East Coast warehouse is probably more fantasy than anything.

I think it noteworthy that management hasn't seen the obvious value in joining the discussion here.

'89 Spider Quad, "Rosa", original owner..still in love all these years...
post #65 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 AM

Centerline Buys International Auto Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazie View Post
...I think it noteworthy that management hasn't seen the obvious value in joining the discussion here.
I imagine Joe is pretty busy trying to hold down the fort with new intricacies to be dealt with etc. plus there are at least five threads going on this same topic, including one that Joe started himself, which is getting less attention than many of the others, so I would assume his time is better spent managing the new acquisition and his current business than watching the bb all day.

Just a thought...

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #66 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM

I'd think it would be the Fiat owners that would be concerned because I don't remember Centerline ever doing any Fiat stuff.

Having Alfa Parts here locally in Berkeley I've only used IAP and Centerline occasionally as I can normally walk in and get what I need with a face to face conversation like I've been doing since the early 80's. They tend to be a bit more expensive but Jon has always been a stickler for OEM or as close to OEM as possible. I'll have to say that I have had problems with much of the aftermarket stuff from both Centerline and IAP over the years. You really have to watch out for that, especially when it comes to gaskets and bearings and such.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #67 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaglio View Post
Hopefully the merger means more parts, perhaps faster shipping to the US east coast (if Joe keeps IAP in VA open as a sort of distribution center)
I talked to Ian at Centerline today. I needed a spica fuel tank and IAP showed them on their website a month or so ago. So I asked if they were shipping anything out of VA. He said no. Everything is being packed up and shipped to Colorado.
post #68 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 PM

So it sounds more like they just bought IAP's inventory and customer database rather than merging the two companies.

post #69 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazie View Post
I think it noteworthy that management hasn't seen the obvious value in joining the discussion here.
We're here, just very busy at the moment as you might imagine. FYI there are actually 3 (at last count) threads on the same topic on the BB at the moment so it's a bit hard to keep up.
Milanoguy likes this.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #70 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Glad to hear it and congratulations to Centerline, looking forward!

Follow me on Instagram: dorian_alfa
My website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #71 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 08:51 AM

I've been lucky to have always had Alfa Parts Berkeley here locally but I have used both Centerline and IAP occasionally over the years. It is going to be strange however for IAP to no longer exist as I recall ordering stuff from them WAY back when we had the Fiats. No internet back then, just paper catalogs and a phone call.

Congrats Joe, you will as always continue to have my support. Best wishes to Paul and the IAP crew as well.

post #72 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Garage
I do not want to put a downer on all the congratulations but I have to admit I am a little disappointed. IAP has served we well for the 4 years I owned my Spider. Every time I went onto Centerlines website, I found it not as easy to navigate and they were always out of stock on items. Just today I went on to check pricing on tune up parts and found IAP was bought out. So I went onto Centerlines site and half of stuff I was looking at was out of stock. Typical auto parts stuff like coils, ignition caps etc were on backorder. Looks like I will be going to my local foreign car supplier. I also always felt IAP's prices were better. Joe, I wish you luck I hope you can address these concerns.

~ JT Burkard ~
1986 Spider Graduate & 1977 BMW 320i
post #73 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCab View Post
FYI there are actually 3 (at last count) threads on the same topic on the BB at the moment so it's a bit hard to keep up.
I've taken the liberty of merging the three threads.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

- fuel injector cleaning
post #74 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 PM

I like centerline and I'm glad they are the survivor. vivere a lungo e vincere!
post #75 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:01 AM

I very much doubt this transition happened over night. I find it somewhat surprising that more attention and planning on what was going to happen with customers and ordering in the following days and weeks, wasn't addressed. Just turning off a well traveled website like IAPs is poor planning at best. Why not refer all those web hits directly to CLs website with a message. At least let the general public and small shops know what is going on. Here I am pulling a '66 Duetto into my garage, and getting ready to start a major project..... and the first place I go to..... the website is AWOL ????

IAP had always given me excellent parts and service. I have never ordered anything from CL. In the way that this transition has been handled.... I am somewhat skeptical for my future Alfa parts needs.

I would hope that CL will grab the ball and run with it from here on..... but so far it appears to be a fumble.
alfakrd likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode