Centerline Acquires International Auto Parts - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to john.harrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tyson View Post
I've been an Alfa owner since 1973. I recall ordering parts from IAP when it was still in Jersey. Sortly thereafter I got acquainted with Centerline. I periodically like to remind alfisti how few cars Alfa sold in the US into the 80's. A coupla thousand per year. IAP and Centerline and Joe and Paul Opiela and Steve Gibbens have kept our cars on the road for decades. It's always been more than just a business to them. Thanks for the past and good luck with the future..
Remember the old, yellow mail order forms?

Currently Owned:
1957 Giulietta Spider (Maria - Fabrication in progress)
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6
2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1959 Giulietta Spider - Restoration
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe - Restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Well done Joe !

post #33 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Voce View Post
Allow me to be the party pooper curmudgeon. Although I have had good experiences with both companies, and I understand the shrinking market both companies have had to deal with, consolidation and a reduction of choices does not bode well for us.

Well, yes and no. In the past couple of decades interest in vintage Alfas has expanded until it is a worldwide phenomena. I've been involved with Alfas for almost 50 years now and I distinctly remember how troublesome the 70's and early 80's were when the factory slowly stopped supplying parts. There are probably more and better (with some exception) parts available now than ever before. The marketplace is truly worldwide now and Centerline has been a significant player there for a long time. There are, in fact, plenty of choices to be made (and correspondingly significant marketplace competition). Max at Alfaholics, for instance, sent me a new lightwight flywheel on Tuesday that got delivered to Texas on Friday. There was a time when that task would have taken weeks to accomplish . . . if I could have found such a flywheel in the first place.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

post #34 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backto105 View Post
I gave up on the USA based suppliers a couple of years ago.

Too expensive, crap service and outrageous shipping costs.....

The competition is there from the UK suppliers that have all the parts at reasonable prices and super fast shipping..... I will be interested to see if anything changes in the USA....
Maybe you could help us Yanks out with a listing of such suppliers. I only know of one I have found so far.....

George & Lesley, Minnesota
1991 Spider
post #35 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 AM

I hate to rain on this happy parade of congratulations, but the truth is that IAP was not offering the level of service that was available from Classic Alfa and the other UK vendors. The guys were extremely knowledgeable, but they were constantly out of stock on standard replacement items, and the wait times were sometimes measured in half years. Centerline Alfa offered much better service, but their prices in some cases are 20% -30% above those of Classic Alfa, who, by the way, delivered parts in two to three days compared to the one week delivery offered by Centerline Alfa.

Just a well meant word of encouragement to the folks at Centerline Alfa: You have to raise your game or the UK guys are going to get all the business.
grizzly likes this.
post #36 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Garage
I hope they take care of the FIAT guys somehow. +1 on the brake core charge being honored at Centerline. I have 2 front brake calipers I was just going to ship out tomorrow.

David Griszkauskas

Old Stuff:
1988 Spider Graduate
1980 Honda CX500 (cool..), 1970 Harley Sprint

Aš nesuprantu

Last edited by grizzly; 09-02-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #37 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Platinum Subscriber

OK--I'll make the sacrifice.

I'll drive even harder in order to wear out parts faster.

Create more business.

Sigh,

Bob,
Director BC Chapter SNO.
Avatar is the 69 Super, bought new.
Current Ride: 67 Super, bought in 2013: Red/Black, "Tuned" 2 L.
Daily drivers, beginning in 1965: 750 Spider, Giulia Spider, 105 Sprint GT, 101 Sprint, 69 Super, 79 Alfetta Sedan. Collectors beginning in 2006: 101 Spider, 101 Sprint. Both sold.
post #38 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgelesley View Post
Maybe you could help us Yanks out with a listing of such suppliers. I only know of one I have found so far.....
Main UK are:
EB Spares
Classic Alfa
Highwood Alfa
Alfaholics

don't forget Germany, lots of good suppliers here too!
OKP
my-alfa (Bertelsbeck)
a.f.l-ricambi
spiderpoint
G. Haeckner
Heinbrand
Frank Hanel
Alfa Service
del Priore

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 09-02-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: corrections
post #39 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM

I've been buying primarily from Centerline for 25 years. I like everything about them except some of their prices. I'm willing to pay a little extra for their service. But, it's difficult to understand why a fuel filler hose (a 6" piece of rubber) is $39 from Centerline (International) and $29 from the now defunked IAP. On the other hand fuel pump mounts were $5.95 from IAP and $3.95 from Centerline. The other place (who's name shall not be mentioned) has good prices but quality varies considerably and I do not like them.

I find that the shipping costs from the British and European suppliers are prohibitive. The exchange rate and taxes don't help either. When I was in the UK I purchased a set of seat covers from Alfaholics and hand carried them back to the states. The exchange rate was favorable at the time so that saved me a couple bucks and I got a color I couldn't find in the states.
post #40 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 AM

It's always a little scary when an already limited number of suppliers..especially the one you've been depending on... drops out.

I always found IAP to be significantly less expensive on everything..including shipping here to the east coast, and don't feel real good about this merger. I'll wait and see, but I'm already looking to European suppliers for my Ricambi.

'89 Spider Quad, "Rosa", original owner..still in love all these years...
post #41 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 AM

Garage
Probably explains why IAP has just been closed for "inventory"
post #42 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

I've only placed a few parts orders over the last few years, with both of them, and my observations are:

Centerline:
- tends to be a bit pricier on some things, but it may be a part from a different supplier (better brand?). Service was good.

IAP
- I had a bad shipping experience once with IAP (cross border) although I paid an upfront premium to avoid a surprise COD, I still got dinged extra at the door. To a degree they made good on it, but I really had to chase them as they initially gave me the impression that I should just move on.

- My biggest criticism of IAP has to be they never seemed to have everything I ever needed in stock that I could get everything in one shipment, and only get kicked in the nuts once.

Like Herb22 wrote - competition is always a good thing!

I recently came across a couple posts mentioning Alfissimo on the forum and just placed an order with them (Jason). Seems like a really nice guy, insists on only selling good quality parts and the prices are good-fair (as were the shipping charges). I believe he's a relatively new start up, so the order process may take a bit more as he is currently a one man shop and is still building his website (so all available parts and prices are not shown yet). Give him a chance?

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #43 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM

I am not at all surprised at this. As pre-1990s Alfas age, are wrecked or get taken off the road, the demand for Alfa parts shrinks. We have been fortunate to have 4 or 5 parts suppliers in the US (although a few like Vicks and Alfa Parts Berkeley have poor on-line shopping cart implementation) and the current market has probably gotten too small to support all of them.

Richard F.
post #44 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM
Bored Member
Gold Subscriber

Garage
these guys get alot of my "coin". Very weird for an Italian company to know what customer service is and these guys do. They sell other makers parts, I just linked to the Alfa page/portion. I have no affiliation, just very satisfied...

ALFA ROMEO : AUTORICAMBIFIRAT.IT, Ricambi d'auto d'epoca

ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #45 of 144 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM

Also Alfastop, especially for Giulietta parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode