1Likes
  • 1 Post By nunki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Fuel Supply Pumps

Joe - What brands/models of fuel supply pumps are you guys selling for Spica cars now?

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Supporting Vendor

John,

We currently have PTZ fuel pumps. They are made in Europe and we have had great success with them. They test to the same specs as original and are at a very good price as well.

Centerline International - Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
750-ALFA
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:37 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I just bought the Centerline Part #FP261 "Fuel Pump Bosch Replacement" for my 1974 Alfa Spider with Spica. I went to install it yesterday to replace my existing pump.

The new pump is too thin for the existing bracket by about 3/4". The hoses are in the wrong place. It looks like the larger hose from the gas tank would need to be cut down. It looks like a new thinner hose to pump towards the engine would be needed.

I had to put everything back together again.

Do you have a recommended install guide for this pump or is there another pump I should be using? If you have an install guide, please supply all info including adapters and hose sizes and lengths needed. Thanks.

Pic of my current pump:
Attached Images

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, you will have to use some thin rubber to compensate for the smaller diameter of the replacement pump.

Download the Fuel Supply Guide from this thread. It explains all. Replace the rear fuel filter for sure, as well.

Spica Technical Guides

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Follow up: I was able to replace my 42 year old 1974 Spider SPICA fuel pump with the thinner Centerline FP261 Bosch pump. Here's what I needed:

- 2 feet of 7.5mm fuel hose (Centerline sells this)
- a piece of 4.8mm rubber to wrap around the pump to make it fit in the clamp.
- a piece of 8.8mm rubber with 2 holes drilled in it to put between the pump clamp and the vibration bracket on the car.

This last piece of rubber spacing was needed because the vibration bracket had a screw that was long enough to interfere with the new pump.

The rubber I used came from gym flooring samples I had lying around. Supposedly, radiator hoses work too. You may have to double up.

Note that the electrical screw studs on the fuel pump are 2 different sizes. The supplied electrical connectors are 2 different sizes to match the 2 different screws. This is important when you are crimping on the electrical connectors to the wires. I had a 50% chance of getting right and didn't... ;-)

Some pictures:
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Standard 5/16ths/8mm line from your local auto part store works fine as well on Spica cars.

On EFI cars like the 164, you need to use FI specific (lined) fuel hose in 7.5mm. 8mm might work, but to be safe, use specific 7.5mm line.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 AM

From my experience I suggest you keep an eye on your newly installed pump.

Many years ago, I, like you chose to use a resilient material between an undersize replacement pump and the original hoop. About six months later I was changing the fuel filter on this car and noticed that the resilient material was mostly gone and the pumps was being held in place by the tubing attached to it. Curious as to how this might have happened, I started the car and saw that the pump I installed vibrated ever so slightly when it was on, but enough so that over time and many miles its movements tore apart the material. It was so long ago but I think the material was a used piece of butyl rubber that I found in the shop. Since then I've been installing replacement pumps using new hoop that I make to fit the replacement pump. I also place low durometer Viton between a pump and the hoops. For me it is mostly about not having to do a job twice.

Of course I don't know what you used, and I don't know to what extent you pump vibrates nor the frequency of those vibrations, so maybe everything will be fine. But for me in this instance my quick and dirty didn't work.
Alex likes this.

Last edited by nunki; 06-28-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode