What to do in Chicago on Sunday? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

What to do in Chicago on Sunday?

Hi Chicagoans,

Random question I'm travelling from Australia to Chicago for work this coming week, and will have most of Sunday free. Obviously I'm an auto enthusiast - any suggestions on things to go and look at?

I've been to the Museum of Science and Industry before, that was excellent.

thanks,
Evan.

'06 Alfa 159 2.4 JTDm / '77 Alfasud Ti race car / '68 1750 GTV project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 AM

Dress warmly. It has been a very cold spring in Chicago. You can catch the Cubs play this weekend in a series against their arch rivals. Baseball is the US version of cricket.

The Official Site of The Chicago Cubs | cubs.com: Homepage

If you are downtown, there are a number of high quality museums. The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the best of its type in the world.

The Art Institute of Chicago

The Field museum is also downtown, and is also very good.

Welcome to The Field Museum | The Field Museum

There also is an aquarium and planetarium, all on a campus SE of downtown by the lake. There are a number of cultural institutions downtown like the CSO, Lyric Opera as well as a number of Broadway style theaters. Chicago also has one of the most vibrant professional theater districts in the US:

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Chicago Theater: Broadway shows, Musicals, Plays, Concerts and Theaters in Chicago, IL for 2014/15

If you are looking for restaurants or bars, River North, just north of downtown has a plethora, and North Michigan Avenue is a major shopping district.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Here's a guide I put together a few years ago for co-workers who were in Chicago for a conference:

Bobsguide: Chicago-things-to-do-and-see

I haven't updated it in a while, but it includes a few other attractions not mentioned by zinhead.
Also, ride the El (Brown Line which used to be carry the Ravenswood name) around the loop, and head North. You can get off at Sedgwick or Fullerton and walk around those neighborhoods. If you stay on the train long enough, it goes down to grade and runs at street level out to the Kimball terminus. Another interesting neighborhood is Wicker Park by Blue Line at Damen station.
You should definitely try Chicago hot dogs, pizza, and Italian beef while there. Click on my blog links.

Enjoy!

1974 Spider
Work gets in the way of my hobbies. Nothing takes just 5 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode