Help! Dellortos vs Weber - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 11-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Help! Dellortos vs Weber

Since Weber is currently out of business or ???? I'm having trouble locating a pair of new 45 DCOEs. A supplier in England (EB Spares) has suggested Dellortos. Is there a downside to the Dellortos? I know my mechanic prefers them, but I want to make sure I'm not limiting myself in some way if I buy them.

Thanks...
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Try www.piercemanifolds.com for the Webers.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Thanks Jim. Do you have an opinion on which carb is "better". It looks like the supply of jets for the Webers is drying up too, so going with Webers just because they are readily available isn't a good reason any more.
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

All my carbed Alfa experience is with the DCOE so I can't comment on if it, or the DHLA, is better. I've read though that the Dellorto is on par with the Weber and in some cases, like the transition circuit, is even better. The 67 GTV we drove to the Alfa convention this year had Dellortos and I must say I was quite impressed with them.
First I've heard that Weber parts are drying up.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 11-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The plant has closed down, some say it declared bankrupcy. The story was it had to do with a labour dispute. My Canadian supplier said he hasn't been able to get anything from them for more than 3 months. Kevin at EB Spares confirmed that he can't get any parts or carbs either.
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON

74 GTV Race Car, 73 GTV
Old 11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

used and stock parts are availabe from:
alfa parts in berkeley ca,
and haselgren engineering, HRE , in berkeley as well.
They have an EXTREMELY large supply. nobody panic.

http://www.rattyti.com/
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 AM

dells vs weber

dellortos have a better air flow than the weber, i have been told for example that a 36 dell will perform close to a 40 weber.

anybody any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman
dellortos have a better air flow than the weber, i have been told for example that a 36 dell will perform close to a 40 weber.

anybody any thoughts?
At wide open throttle I doubt that there is a difference in airflow between the two all things being equal. I've never heard that a Dell 36 will flow more than a Weber 40. At first glance, that seems to defy physics. I've generally heard that Webers are easier to tune, stay in tune better, and have a better float design than the Dells but I have no first-hand knowledge of this. I think either brand would work fine for a street aplication with no discernable air flow or performance advantage by either.

Check this link for another opinion on Dells vs Webers by Rex Chalmers

http://www.alfacentro.com/tech/0502.html

Also, I've been told that new Webers carbs are getting harder to find-true, but that there's gonna be ample availability for new Weber parts, jets, etc.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:56 AM

Hiya,

No problems with getting hold of Weber or Dellorto parts. Address and telephone details below. They do ship abroad world wide and know both Weber and Dellorto carburettor specifications etc in huge detail. They have also fabricated precision sprung linkages (certainly for Dellortos) if you need them also. Website www.racecar.co.uk/dellorto. A small but excellent outfit.

256 Kentwood Hill :: Tilehurst :: Reading :: RG31 6DR :: United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 118 943 1180 :: Facsimile: +44 (0) 118 943 1190 :: E-mail: eurocarb@btconnect.com

Jerry

76 spider 2000 vel
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 AM

DHLA vs DCOE

No problems with either as long as they are setup right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.