spitting through carbs - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

spitting through carbs

First the particulars. 1600 Duetto. 10458 cam on intake, 10320 1750 SPICA cam on exhaust. Timed at 104/104. Cam marks are on the outside edges of the cap marks towards the fenders. 40dcoe 27 carbs with stock jetting. carbs balanced, and idle screws out 1 full turn. idles well with zero turns on the idle screw. 123 non programmable ignition, set on the 1600 advance curve, and timed at a few degrees above the static timing mark @ 1200 RPM idle. Cap, rotor, coil all fairly new. I've been trying to tune out a stumble when put under moderate load after poking along at 2500 to 3000 RPM. I can get it better, but I can't tune it all the way out. There's also a sporadic spit through the carbs between 2500 and 3000 RPM, under load or at idle. It runs good otherwise. Starts well even when cold unchoked just fiddling with the gas pedal for a minute or two. Any suggestions, or have I forgotten how 50 year old carbureted cars used to run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Has it run ok with those cams or is this a new to you setup? If so did it run fine before the cam swap? Is this a proven cam combination?
The motor is healthy with good compression?
I'd have to get my book out to see what jets a 27 has but right off the bat one turn out is generally a little lean. I'm assuming you've tried one and a half turns out?
It's obviously a little lean and not knowing the starting point I'd say either a little richer idle jet, yes they do affect more than just the idle. My 2L with webers will spit a little on a <40 deg morning until it warms up and no spits at all with a cold motor during the spring, summer, and fall if that helps.
I can for sure answer your last question... you haven't forgotten, set up right they should work just fine.

The passenger seat is 15 miles an hour faster than the drivers seat.

currently
74 GTV restored daily driver
71 Berlina in resto
the ones that got away:
1959 750 series Giulietta Spider Veloce
1962 Giulietta Spider normale
1965 Giulia Sprint normale
1972 GTV
1974 GTV
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 AM

"there's also a sporadic spit through the carbs between 2500 and 3000 RPM, under load or at idle".

Start with cleaning the 4 jets under the round access cover. A fine bristle from a brass brush will clear the idle jets. Idle jets clog first and cleared will resolve the "spitting".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode