Carb to manifold torque? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Carb to manifold torque?

Hi all,
Somehow, for whatever reason, the nuts holding the DellOrto carbs to the manifold have come loose and or off. I believe off from number four and lose on three. So I have to take everything apart and remount. Would someone please give me the torque numbers for this? Any please, any other tidbits and suggestions would be majorly appreciated. Like surface prep or carb cleaning. Oddly the engine was rebuilt years ago. It's really clean but could use a spitshine. The carbs just look like they haven't had any cleaning so just have an oily/gas residual on them. Same on the manifold, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!!
😎

Current
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

The don't need much, like 15 ft lbs, give or take? 8mm studs. They do need lock washers, typically "wavy" washers against alum. If the carb rubbers are shot, and/or you don't have the support strut, they could be wobbling more than they should, helping get loose. Or if your car runs rough and/or at high rpm, like a race car.
I've never had one come off; make them snug, plus a bit more, with a normal length combo wrench.

Andrew
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Good luck trying to get a torque wrench in there. I read somewhere that when using Thackery washers, use a feeler gage and shoot for 1mm gap between coils. The one time I did use them I also used nylocs. But lately I've gone with solid mounts, paper gaskets and bolt em up tight with lock washers - lots of opinions on this...

- Rich D.
I like Alfas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Andrew,
Thanks. A 'wavy' washer? Support brace is there. Seems odd that there either off or close at the rear and loose on three. I have a 8 sec video, but having trouble loading it.

Rich, the manifold will be off so a torque wrench I wouldn't think wouldn't be an issue, but I'm also a newbie to taking apart an Alfa. I won't be using Thackeray. But will be going solid. At least as of this moment in time!!

��

Current
1969 GT 1300 JR
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Last edited by Yachtman; 02-22-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:26 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Split lock washers are for use against steel/iron. "Wave" washers are for use against alum. They're common on Alfas and other non-US cars.
Andrew
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
Rich, the manifold will be off so a torque wrench I wouldn't think would be an issue, but I'm also a newbie to taking apart an Alfa. I won't be using Thackeray. But will be going solid. At least as of this moment in time!!

��
I think you will find that there just isn't enough room to get a torque wrench in the upper nuts - there's barely enough room to get an open end wrench in there.

If you are replacing the rubber mounts with solid aluminum units, the kits typically come with a steel "gasket" with an integrated O-ring. If you use them be aware that you don't want to crank them down flat. I would leave a 1mm gap between the carb base and the mount. Again, using nylocs would be my recommendation.

There is a lot written about the virtues/drawbacks of using solid mounts. As stated I use solid mounts, paper gaskets, no support strut on my street motors. There are many others whose opinions I respect that disagree with this and have used rubber mounts, thackery or wavy washers and a carb strut for years with great success. I would suggest finding the threads and reading up. You don't want a leaking intake and you don't want to break the ear of the carb mounts either.

- Rich D.
I like Alfas

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks Rich and Andrew,
Definately nylocs outside, but can't use them on the inside. I haven't seen inside yet, as I haven't taken everything off, but will be curious as to what type of washer was used (if any??). On the carb to manifold mounting, I'm using the style of washer seen in the attached pic. From AlfaHolics.
Rich, what's the thought behind no carb strut, even if you've used the hard mounts? Do you also use wavy washers on the inside nuts? Or something else? And do you use factory air box, or trumpets, or? I've read in a post about using grease on the paper gaskets. Thoughts on that?
I've read, and read, and read. And yet I know I'm a newbie to this work on an Alfa so I'm trying to realize my limitations!!!
This whole carbs-loose thing is spooky to begin with. Although I'm dying to use my GT again, I'm going slow.
Please realize how much I appreciate the help from all of you.
Attached Images

Current
1969 GT 1300 JR
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Rich, you mentioned steel gaskets with intergrated o rings. I'm using the AlfaHolics set up, shown in the picture I've attached, that has a rubber o washer already built in. Is this what you mean?
Also, I haven't taken the parts off yet. But I'm getting as much ready as I can and would like a recommendation regarding the wavy washers. Is there a preference in manufacturer, or where I should get them. A better, or best choice? Or is Lowes or Ace good enough? I know it's probably a stupid question, sorry.
I've also run across some threads that have various solutions for gasket seal. There's the large gasket between the head and manifold which was included with the order from AH, and the ones between the manifold and carb mounts, which are the paper ones. It seems the paper has the most assorted ways suggested for sealing, all the way from typical store bought specifics, to grease.
This is where I'd normally say that I'd appreciate the help and ask if there are any 'other' choices I haven't thought of. But the obvious truth is, I could use some direction on the sealants, especially on the paper.
And of course, no I don't want any leaks in the intake stream. Other than the one I possibly, currently, have. Is there any way of determining if any damage has been done for the loose carb mounts? The car runs fine, to me, but obviously it could be, or should be better.
Thanks so much, in advance for the help.
Bobby
Attached Images

Current
1969 GT 1300 JR
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Last edited by Yachtman; 02-22-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:41 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
I never had an engine nut come loose on my race cars because I assembled using Loctite. Far better to finish the race than to have nuts work loose.

I would think that nyloc nuts would be required, but might not be correct for the period.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode