Montreal Spica - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Montreal Spica

Hi, I am novice with Montreal and Spica also. My problem is: sound of the engine is really odd, left exhaust produces black warm smoke, the new spark plugs are also black. The other side produces white cold smoke, during higher rpm there is also black smoke sometimes. The new spark plugs are cleaner and wet from petrol. During higher rpm the Aliment. light starts lighting.
When I open a oil reservoir, the oil is wery runny and it smell after petrol and the oil rapidly increasing in the reservoir when engine runs. I bought all new filters. Do you think it is because of the old filters?
When I bought it, the cut-off solenoid was not connected and the thin tube from oil separator was blocked. Everything looks in good condition by first look. I want to minimize the potentional problem in Spica. What should I try more to do?
Thank you for every answer!
Jan,
Czech republic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Hi Jan -
White smoke -
a. This can be caused by coolant (water) getting into a cylinder through a broken head gasket.
b. It could also be leaking brake fluid out of the master brake cylinder in the brake booster being sucked into the intake through the vacuum line during deceleration. That smoke is usually very dense and obvious. Check your brake fluid level.

Dark smoke - Could be burning oil or very rich mixture.
With a Spica system, the Thermostatic Actuator acts like a "choke" in a carb system. It richens the mixture while the engine coolant is below 175F/80C. Worn Thermostatic Actuators (T/A) loose the hydraulic fluid in the capillary tube and will not lean out the mixture to normal running, thus stay rich even when the engine is at normal running temperature.

Gasoline smell in the engine oil - This is an indication of a very worn Spica injection pumps. Being a mechanical injection system, there are little cylinders and pistons in the injection pump. When these become worn, fuel leaks into the bottom of the injection pump and then into the main engine sump. There is no cure for that other than an overhaul of the injection pumps. There are also parts in the Logic Section (mechanical computer fuel metering section) Fortunately, Ingram Enterprises here in the U.S. still overhauls these pumps and they are very, very good at it. It's not inexpensive, however. Overhauling and calibrating these pumps is extremely time consuming and takes very specialized equipment. Current cost to overhaul the Montreal injection pump system is $2075 and $400 for the Thermostatic Actuator (T/A).

Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Home Page

Also, since the Montreal is such a rare car, Wes cannot keep Montreal injection pumps in stock, so you will likely have to ship YOUR pump and T/A to him for overhaul. Given his workload, I would recommend that once you determine that your pump is indeed bad, you email him to see when he can do the work.

If you would like some technical/factory material on the Spica Injection System, send me a private message (PM) in this forum. Include an email address capable of receiving some large files.

It would also be very helpful if you would take some pictures of the injection pumps, Thermostatic Actuator and it's little tube, and the main fuel supply pumps.

Regarding the fuel low pressure light, that usually caused by clogged filters (very dirty fuel tank?) or just failing main supply pumps. A picture of those pumps will tell me if they are originals or not. If they are, it's almost certain that they are worn out and bad.

Recommend that this post be moved to the Fuel Injection System or the Montreal Topic section.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 02-09-2017 at 07:26 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi, I am searching the problem and my question is whether the gas is in logic section. When I remove the BC the logic section is full of gas.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
There should be NO fuel in the logic section. If there is, the pump requires overhaul.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for answer and confirmation of my doubts. I put the spica out and found that the space between the spica oil filter and the crankshaft was full of gas. I have the logic section full of gas also. I think the logic section will be solved when there will not be any leakings around the pistons.
I need to know which way the gas goes down into the pump mostly if it leaks. I think the leaking is between the sides of spica cylinder and the piston. Or is there another way? I can repair it if there is some O-ring but if it is metal-to-metal, I have to send it for overhaul. Does anybody know how does it look inside the spica between the "chimneys" and the side inspection hatch? How the insides look?

Thanks for experiences.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Rozumak,

You should send the Spica pump and njectors to Wes Ingram for a complete overhaul. You absolutely should not attempt a field repair.

The "seal" of the pump cylinders is due to a very close tolerance. If this has opened up due to wear, it must be rebuilt.

The total cost of repair won't leave much change from $3,000.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 30 years) Nearly 50 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You are right. But I will not send it to the USA, it is too expensive when I can bring it to Sepp Burgi or to einspritzpumpen.de
I hope it will be less than 2000 because it was in wes ingram 15 years ago. It is big money when I imagine that the whole restoration of my motorbikes wasn't more than 1000 each.

By the way, has someone experiences with Sepp Burgi, Alfa Montreal Service or with einspritzpumpen.de?

Thanx!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode