1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Question Spica Micro Switch oil leak

Dear all

My Alfa Romeo GTV from 1974, spica injection pump is leaking oil, apparently by the micro switch. This fault, apparently, was reported and repaired like 10 years ago (only 3.000 miles the car has runned since then).

What do I need to do? Remove the whole pump? I'm asking for some spare parts to centerline and it will be very helpful to know which spares I need to order.

From Uruguay

Thanks in advance

Gonzalo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Question

Sorry! This is my GTV, from 1974 one owner 69.000 miles. I'm waiting for new door mirrors !! These are Baby Tornados, changed in the USA in 2003.

The rest of the car is absolutely original. At some point it was resprayed something that in next February I will do the same because when It was parked it receives a hailstorm.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Yes, you need to remove the injection pump to replace the microswitch seal. The easiest way is to remove the pump body from it's base (six nuts). Unfortunately, as far as I know, that "hat seal" is no longer available, and I do not think Centerline has them. You should contact Wes Ingram (he rebuilds Spica pumps). Maybe he has some replacements.

Ingram Enterprises, Inc. || Home Page

Below are some pictures of that seal:
Attached Images

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Dear John

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Life will not be easy with this pump!! Today I ordered all the spare parts available at Centerline in order to remove the pump and change all of them. Due to the fact that the car was not running I think that it has all these leaks.

Regards from Uruguay

Gonzalo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:41 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

There is documentation somewhere of a guy changing this seal without removing the pump. I sure wouldn't want to try.
A friend just had this issue, and the microswitch was broken in any case, so he just gooped RTV sealer in there, seemed to solve the leak. Not ideal though not to have a working switch.
If you're experienced, it is not that time-consuming to get the pump out. It is a number of steps though. And whichever way you remove it, you should have the relevant gaskets on hand to go back together.
Andrew
gpanariello likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Before you spend a lot of money on just replacing parts on the pump, do a bench check to assess it's serviceability. Many of these old pumps are "leakers" meaning they leak gasoline into the engine oil and must be overhauled. Download the guides in the FI/Carb topic area.

Rather than spend a lot of money overhauling the injection pump and paying shipping to South America, you might want to consider a conversion to carburetors. If the expense isn't a factor, then fixing the Spica system is fine, considering that once in good shape, it is very reliable.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 08-30-2016 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode