SPICA FI Pump Maintenance - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 AM

Just called International Auto Parts yesterday (Oct 3, 2005) and they have the gaskets for the SPICA oil filter but they are backordered on the filters.
I need to get a filter real soon. Any chance you could sell me one? Also I have the CD on the Alfa and they recommend Air bleed procedure. Will explain if interested.
Also, The Wes Ingram Book on SPICA is exceptional. Highly recommend everyone with a SPICA system get this book. Very well written and photograps are great too.
Thanks
AlfaRich
Syracuse, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
I think there are some on Ebay right now.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #33 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Fuel Oil Filters

Just called INternational Auto. They have them and they put them in the mail . Just ordered 5 more to be safe ....including gaskets.
Hope everyone sees this.
Rich

post #34 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

oil quantity

I just sucked about 4 oz of old oil out of the logic section of my Spica Pump.
Is this a reasonable quantity to expect?
What is the oil capacity of the logic section?
Do I understand correctly that overfilling is impossible, as excess oil drains into the engine?

Thanks

TD

Trav

1969 1750 Spider
1971 1750 GTV
post #35 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure of the capacity... though that sounds a bit low. It's hard to get a hose all the way down, so you may not have drained everything.

And yes, there's a drain hole in the case, that allows oil past a certain level to run back to the sump, so you can't overfill it.

Not sure if you've read about the cleanning method of pouring a half pint or more of oil in, basically overfilling it, and running the engine... it will mix with the old oil, probably stirr things up that weren't being stirred, and flush it out thru the drain... some think this a good occasional maintence step. Just don't pour so much in that it overflows down the sides! ;-)
post #36 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The placard on the side of the pump says refill with 1/2 pint. That'll overfill it somewhat so that the excess drains back to the engine sump. The drain port is pretty small so it'll drain back slowly.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #37 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the replies!

TD

Trav

1969 1750 Spider
1971 1750 GTV
post #38 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:40 AM

And don't forget to always carry a spare belt along with an injection pump manual. If you break in the middle of nowhere and you're not mechanically inclined or don't have your tools, you will need both for a good mechanic to get you back on the road.

Also I'd reinforce the idea that frequent maintenance is required here, a very good alfa mechanic that I know recently had the spring inside the pump break from corrosion on his car!
post #39 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:32 AM

Yep, the belt is pretty much unique item that nobody besides our favorite parts suppliers, or maybe a nearby Alfisti would have. Hmmm.. sounds like a reason for a National Alfaheads Locationbase.. taking that long road trip and getting stranded.. you'ld know who to start calling to try to locate hard to find parts.

And, thanks for reminding me about this, since I've gotten in the habit lately to leave the small box of tools and belts that used to live in the trunk, in the garage instead. Now, I don't need all the tools so much with the Spider pretty reliable, but even for short trips there probably should be an "always there" minimum kit of parts. The Spica belt being at the top of the list!

BTW, as I understand it, one of the things that Wes Ingram does in a Spica rebuild is to put a second spring inside the one that sometimes breaks. It prevents it from vibrating like hell at certain RPMs like they tend to do. You could still rust out, but much less metal fatigue. Driving the car on long enough drives to get the oil hot and drive out water should prevent the rusting. Of course, long and enthusiastic drives are part of a proper "Italian Maintenence" plan...
post #40 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter A
And don't forget to always carry a spare belt along with an injection pump manual. If you break in the middle of nowhere and you're not mechanically inclined or don't have your tools, you will need both for a good mechanic to get you back on the road.

Also I'd reinforce the idea that frequent maintenance is required here, a very good alfa mechanic that I know recently had the spring inside the pump break from corrosion on his car!

There is really very little stress on the injection pump drive belt and when installed has only moderate tension on it. They should last a very long time if installed properly and not abused.

Things that kill pump drive belts:

1. Improper installation. The belt does not stretch, nor is it mean to. Prying the belt onto the pump drive pulley is likely to break the internal reinforcing threads and cause a weak point in the belt. Now you're relying only on the strength of the rubber. On pre-air pump models, the belt will slip ever-so-nicely onto the pulley. For the air-pump models with the retainer lip, you must remove the pulley from the shaft and slip it back on with the belt in-place.

2. Road grit, oil, etc. If you have an oil leak out the front crankshaft seal, FIX IT. The seal is about $5 and some of your time. Wes Ingram recommends that the drive belt cover be left off the engine and I think that makes good sense. Theoretically, it's a nice idea to protect the belt, but in the real world that cover will trap grit, grime, and rocks that can find their way onto the belt.

3. Keep other stuff (hoses, wires, etc) from inadvertently fouling the belt.

As far as the compensator link retaining spring goes, if you do suffer a spring failure, there's an easy and quick temporary get-you-home fix using a paperclip and a rubber band, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. While not elegant, it works. It's outlined in the Roadside Diagnostics Guide available for free download at www.wesingram/hp.htm. I'd recommend that Spica owners fold the guide up and put it in their emergency kit bag in the trunk.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:14 PM

I'll second the tie all things down suggestion. I didn't lose the Spica belt, but I once had the oil separator return hose get sucked up into the fan area while on the freeway... in a matter of a couple minutes things went from "am I hearing a bit of a funny noise?" to "waitaminute, I think I smell coolant..." to "Oh SH#!T, that's coolant alright.." and I'm pulling off the side with a hole in the radiator!!

There should be a third foldover tab in the center of the fan area, don't know if there is and mine ended up missing or there normally isnt one, but if you run without a fan shroud, put a tiemount and tiewrap or something there!!
post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

There's been a few threads on fan shroud, but the fact is that shrouds are important to efficient cooling. They're cheap (about $25, I think). If someone is complaining about overheating and doesn't have a fan shroud, they get no sympathy from me. Sort of like removing the thermostat to cure overheating.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM

john, in your first post, you say the pump gets its oil directly off the oil pump. but in the 71 factory manual it says the oil is first filtered by the main filter, then through the little one in the spica pump. what gives?
ps, this may have been addresed before but I am woefully ignorant!

Dan
69 spider 105.62
post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadan
john, in your first post, you say the pump gets its oil directly off the oil pump. but in the 71 factory manual it says the oil is first filtered by the main filter, then through the little one in the spica pump. what gives?
ps, this may have been addresed before but I am woefully ignorant!
The injection pump oil is taken directly from the oil pump through the front cover mount. This info is from the AROC Spica Owner's Tech Series from an original article for Il Saluti by Carter Hendircks in 1992 and was verified by David Roger of ARDONA in 1974 after a check by Fred Di Matteo. The 71 manual must be incorrect. If the oil was already filtered when it reached the injection pump there would be no need for a separate injection pump filter. In order to have filter oil from the main filter, it would have required casting a special block for the oil galleries rather than just a front cover with a cast mounting point. Very clever, economical, and functional on the part of the Alfa engineers.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 AM

ok. it seems odd that the supposed alfa injection manual (IAP) is wrong though. It would be great to have the extra filtration wouldnt it? thanks

Dan
69 spider 105.62

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode