SPICA FI Pump Maintenance - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Location: Rapid City SD, Black Hills of South Dakota, Queens NY
Send a message via Skype™ to Roadtrip
Joe - I've never tried it without a gasket. You may be able to get another use out of the old one if it's in good condition. I suppose you could try it with some Blue RTV, but the sealing edge is pretty thin, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if you get a leak. If you do use RTV only, let it cure throughly before you put it under pressure.

If it were me, I'd cut a new gasket. Be sure to clean any sludge out of the filter cavity while you have it out. Also be careful about overtightening the nuts on the small studs. They've been know to break or strip if abused.

How'd you end up with a bunch of filters and no gaskets?

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 11-23-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 AM

Thumbs up

John, Another great informative spica piece, thanks for the input, keep up the great service for us and our injection systems. I plan on engine removal and bay cleaning this winter and will be certain to check/change cavity oils. Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday.

Paul R.
post #18 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 02:09 PM

I've already been adding MMO at the rate of about 2 oz per 10 gal of fuel, is that the right amount????

post #19 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

I use the bottle directions of 4 oz per 10 gallons.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #20 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCab
John,

I am going to be doing a Spica oil and filter change soon. I have a nice hoard of Spica oil filters, but am out of gaskets. Most suppliers say they are NLA.

What do you recommend - cutting a new gasket or using a sealant?

Joe
As of a week ago, they are available at Centerline. More worrisome, I was told that their manufacturer wasn't making any more of the filters, and they were looking for a replacement.

I'd check with Wes Ingram first, he'd probably know better on worldwide availablilty than a (hopefully misinformed) tech guy, before we all freak out and start buying up all available ones...

Jon
post #21 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 06:41 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
NAPA has some 1/64" gasket material that you can buy in bulk. Buy a box of it for a few bucks. It will last you a long time. It's perfect for cutting your own gaskets. Just place the oil filter cover over the material and trace around it with an exacto knife. Cut out some of the center for the spring..

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

gasket or sealant?

hello all,

I'm replacing my 69gtv 1750 with a spica 2 liter motor. I'm trying to reuse my old TA. Do I need a gasket or sealant in the water jacket port on manifold where the TA plugs in to prevent coolant leaks when I install it on my new motor? I did find faint traces of some orange silicone like substance around the opening of the manifold when I removed it. I don't remember seeing any on the bottom where it is inserted to the spica pump though. Someone at Centerline suggested putting a rubber O ring there. It seems like the mounting flanges are so thin that they would bend rather than flattening the O rings with those puny 7mm nuts.

Also my 69 spica doesn’t have an electronic FCS. How would I add this missing wire lead to my newer T255 Ingram 165HP pump? There does seem to be a wire lead hang from under the fuel filter area that I have no idea what its function is.

I'm just dying to see what my new 2liter motor will feel like.

davbert
post #23 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Trained (ex)Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Centerline is correct; an O-ring is used at the manifold end of the T/A. The manifold is chamfered to accept the O-ring so the T/A flange will sit flush with the manifold when tightened. There is no gasket or O-ring at the pump end of the T/A.
The microswitch for the FCS can be powered by any switched (preferably fused) power source.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #24 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Dav - Agree with Papajam. Use an O-ring at the top. Make sure it's not too thick or it won't seat. It should be just enough in diameter to compress as the fitting is seated. Do be careful with those small studs and nuts. Make sure they're clean and not accidentally crossthreaded. I also use a little RTV sealant, just to be sure. The lower fitting in the injection pump doesn't use a gasket.

The FCS is on post-69 cars is powered by the #6 fuse circuit. In post 69 cars the wire that supplies power to the FCS microswitch and solenoid comes from the right front of engine compartment, not under the fuel filter. It's white with a black protective sleeve and a spade connector beside the FI pump. It comes from the wire bundle up on the pax side of the radiator.

The only wires around the fuel filter are:

1. Red/black to the low oil pressure warning light sending unit
2. White/green to the low fuel pressure warning light sending unit
3. Black to the starter solenoid, then to the FI Cold Start Solenoid

You have been checking on startup that your low oil and fuel pressure warning lights work, haven't you?

While you have your TA out, I would suggest HIGHLY that you do a bench test of it in a heating pot of water to be sure it falls within spec for extension at various temperatures. Also, you'll want to check that it's a 27mm extension model and hasn't been replaced with a later 29/31mm extension model. If it is a newer model, you'll want to put a 2-3mm shim underneath the TA lower flange to restore cold running performance. This restores the cold extension to what it should be with a T255 pump.
4. Black wire from the coil to distributor

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #25 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:33 AM

Is there not a drane plug to change the oil?

the big brass nut on the bottom.

I use a oilcan and just fill it up. I would think the silonode would be the best to fill it no gaskit to replace.
post #26 of 124 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The brass plug in the bottom is the well for the hydraulic piston for the cold start system. You'll get some drainage out of it, but due to the internal casting, they'll still be some oil left in the logic section.

I've found the easiest way, if you want to remove as much of the old oil as possible, is to fish a vinyl tube down in the the bottom and suck it out with a big syringe. However, just adding some fresh oil is sufficient to stay in good condition. Excess oil will just drain to the sump.

You shouldn't mess with the solenoids, or you have to retune the pump. The easiest is just to carefully remove the barometric compensator (3 screws). Since there's no pressure in the logic section, you shouldn't have to replace the gasket, at least I've never had to.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S
post #27 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 10:07 AM

re spica pump idiot

Dear Sir

I have never used a spica injection before do they need a fuel pump to feed the spica pump if so what pressure pump

Cheers
post #28 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Couple of Spica things

Most of the Spica damage done by unleaded gas happened in the first few years after lead was removed from the fuel, until the early '80s. Current gasoline has lubricity that works well with Spica pumps.

Another very important component of the Spica system is the cooling system's thermostat. If you have removed your thermostat, or are running a low-temp one, your TA will not extend fully and you'll run rich, wasting gas, polluting and never getting optimum mixture.

So, when you test your TA's temperature in hot water, be sure it reaches full extension at your engine's operating temperature.

And, when you replace the Spica oil filter, be REALLY delicate with those little studs/nuts. They'll twist right off.

Joe

Sono lento, ma sono brutto
post #29 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Spica Oil filters

Can anyone tell me how to get the filters? Thanks.
I had a failed throttle position switch at the FI pump and since we are digging around there thought we should replace the filter.
Thanks,
Rich
post #30 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

On the oil filters, call Centerline and/or IAP. I think the manufacturers make these things in batches, so you inevitably have shortages periodically. I usually keep several on hand.

By "throttle position switch", I assume you mean the "Fuel Cutoff Microswitch", which is the correct nomenclature. When replacing the microswitch, be careful of the small rubber grommet over the push pin. Those are "no longer available" . . . . . period-dot. Only salvage.

While the pump is off the car, you should take some time to drain the old oil, clean, and inspect it. Don't forget to fill it with fresh engine oil after you install it. I recommend that you put a tag on it to remind you to do this. It's VERY easy to overlook after installing.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode