Dellorto 40 DHLA H Idle Mixture Screw Question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Gold Subscriber

Dellorto 40 DHLA H Idle Mixture Screw Question

I got a set of DHLA 40 H's with other parts when I bought my 74 GTV and I decided to clean them up while cleaning up a set of Weber DCOEs. I stripped them, cleaned them up and installed new gaskets and O rings. When it came to putting the Idle Mixture Screws back in the front carb, the Screw would not hold in the seat of the #1 throat. It seems someone along the way may have stripped out the threads in the seat. Actually, it seems as if the threads may have just worn away to the point that the Idle Mixture screw threads will not engage enough to hold with the pressure of the spring and new O ring pushing the screw back out of the seat. I should have figured that something was wrong when I took the carb apart as that Mixture screw was really just sitting in the seat and not screwed in much if at all.

Now to my question. Is the carb body now a throwaway or is there some fix that could be done like a threaded sleeve (i.e. like a helicoil deal) or maybe welding/soldering new metal in the hole and rethreading? The thread is very fine so finding a tap might be problematic. Could a Carb shop help me with something like this? I'm new to working with carbs so any help would be appreciated.

Also I posted a thread on the Parts For Sale/Wanted for a DHLA body if someone has one that is sitting on a shelf somewhere Link to Thread

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

As far as the bodies go, you'd probably want to match up the body letter (you'll see it after the carb designation on the upper left side of the carb) as some are different. Apparently this is a known problem with the fine threads. One of my carbs had a float post repaired with what looks like gray epoxy. I guess potentially, a different screw could be used and the body retapped; the idle mixture screw is a pretty coarse adjustment; perhaps a Weber screw could be used which has a more coarse thread, but this is a guess.
'70 Spider..sold 2 weeks before the Spica died
'63 Spider Veloce ex-racer... my 2nd rebuild, died from cancer
'74 Spider Veloce...crushed by a tree-really!
'65 Spider....... you wouldn't believe how cheap I sold it

'76 Spider Veloce....thank God no emissions test needed!
'75 Norton Commando Mk.III......currently the bastard stepchild due to the spider
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Dan,

Thanks for the reply!!! That is a good point if I can't figure out a way to fix it then I would need a "H" body to match the other one I have. Also the one I would replace has what looks like a vacuum fitting on the front barrel. Not sure what that is all about yet.......still learning about Dellortos.

BTW don't you have patients to see
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Carb body

My problem was just the opposite. I had a bent throttle shaft and a stuck idle screw. Had to have someone with a very small drill take it out.

My thinking is that there is some smog related connections if you have an extra port.
There was an extra screw just before the idle mixture screw that I had to sort through. Evidently from what I can deduce is that the extra screw was for a coarse fuel flow before the idle to help with emissions.
I have a spare body you can have for nothing if you want it. I don't think it is an H model. Contact me privately for more info. I will have to dig in to the spares boxes to find it and photograph it.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

VeloceDoc,

Sent you a PM. Thanks

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.