Alfa Romeo Spider Dashboard Removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By fieldsjkk1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Question Alfa Romeo Spider Dashboard Removal

Hello, I have a 1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. Beautiful car that I have owned for about the last 10 years. I just recently noticed a crack in the top of the dashboard that extends from the back of one of the round ac/heat vents to the base of the windshield. I have ordered the new dash. Years ago I swapped a couple of dashboards on some MG's but have never tried an Alfa. Can anyone supply information on how the old dash is fastened into the car, how to remove, difficulties??? I have not looked around too hard yet under the dash to see how it connects. The shop manual doesn't give too much information on this. If anyone can offer information or support I would be forever grateful. Many thanks. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Joe, you do know that nice caps are made for these dashes, right? I have R&R'd a GTV 6 dash, but I've never done a late model Spider dash (although I have a '91). I understand it's not an easy job though. It attaches basically at 4 points, 2 on the ends and 2 toward the center. The A/C has to get evacuated also, I am told.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
Welcome to the BB. Actually, removing the dash is not that hard. It's getting everything out of the way that takes so long. If your car has A/C that will at least need to be lowered down - I'm not sure if it has to be totally disconnected or not. The knee bolsters have to come out as does the center console. The instrument pod needs to come off. As mentioned above, the dash itself is secured to the car at four points - two in the center, and one at each outer end. Don't forget to disconnect the battery before doing all the above - it helps to avoid sparks and keeps the smoke inside the wires.

There is likely more info in the Spider section.

Say, you could take a bunch of photos and take notes then post a How-To for the rest of us! Perhaps have a pretty woman doing the wrenching...
alfaloco likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- fuel injector cleaning

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Garage
... and ID tag the wire leads with masking tape as you remove them from their devices! Drop the fuse box off its two pivots, and leave it in the floor with leads connected. No sense in making a job more complex, as I see it.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi Folks. Thanks very much for the information. ghnl, I see you are located just a few miles down the road from me. I live in Greensboro. Would you happen to know a restoration shop or an individual in the area that would be willing to perform this work? The more I see what is involved I would definitely prefer to pay someone else to do it. And unfortunately all the supermodels I know are booked. Words cannot express how much I don't want to do this swap, but I may have to. Ugh!!!
alfaloco likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Garage
You might try Kevin Harper at BIF Motors. You're welcome to join us at a meeting of the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club. https://www.meetup.com/Mid-Atlantic-...nts/237892067/

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

- fuel injector cleaning
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric. I will contact BIF right away. I'll check my schedule for the AROC meeting. I would live to attend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode