Repaint - Save Original Labels/Stickers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Repaint - Save Original Labels/Stickers

Hi,

When repainting a body, is there a (smart) way to save the original car labels/stickers like the certification, emission ones etc ?

Thanks.

Regards G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 AM

Garage
The repops are so good it's hardly worth the effort ..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi Tom,

I'll take that advice, topic closed ;-)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:32 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
The repops are so good it's hardly worth the effort ..
Only if you can find them. Most of the stickers for the US spec cars are not available. The sets that are for sale in Europe are rarely the right ones for the cars they are said to be for.

getv2000, if you plan to remove them. use a hair dryer to heat the sticker. Work slowly and carefully to pull them off. I've been working on stickers for my car for the last 6 months. It's a tedious job, but can be done.
Lokki and nunki like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM

I had some success using tech. grade methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) to dissolve the adhesive that holds the stickers to the paint.

I have to be patient to successfully remove an intact sticker. It maybe took one to three hours, with several breaks, feeding MEK from a 10cc syringe tipped with a 24 gauge blunt nose needle onto each newly exposed edge of the adhesive. (all can be bought from McMaster-Carr) I removed a couple of near perfect stickers this way. They have an age appropriate amount of wear for the car, which I like.

I used high-temperature sheets of double sided tape cut to size to re-attach them to the car. These sheets I bought from an eBay vendor. I paid the extra money for the high-temp. double sided because of the heat in the engine bay.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunki View Post
I had some success using tech. grade methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) to dissolve the adhesive that holds the stickers to the paint.
It's also available at Home Depot, in their paint department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunki View Post
I used high-temperature sheets of double sided tape cut to size to re-attach them to the car. These sheets I bought from an eBay vendor. I paid the extra money for the high-temp. double sided because of the heat in the engine bay.
I would love to see some pictures to see how that worked out. It sounds like a great idea.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Garage
Decal sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
It's also available at Home Depot, in their paint department.

I would love to see some pictures to see how that worked out. It sounds like a great idea.
Check this site I believe they may have US versions if you inquire not sure....

CLASSIC CAR DECALS - Restoration stickers for classic cars.

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 05-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Tom -Carclassic.biz aka Classic Car Decals is out of business. I placed an order with them and two months later had to get a refund from the company which handles their credit card transactions. The transaction handler couldn't get hold of them either.

I tried to get hold of the site owner, Bill, directly using hooligan@speedpal.com - his email - and the message bounced back as undeliverable.

I wish someone would take over the business, as I have been hunting a FISPA decal for my SPICA airbox for over a year -

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  30.2 KB

71 Spider
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
Tom -Carclassic.biz aka Classic Car Decals is out of business. I placed an order with them and two months later had to get a refund from the company which handles their credit card transactions. The transaction handler couldn't get hold of them either.

I tried to get hold of the site owner, Bill, directly using hooligan@speedpal.com - his email - and the message bounced back as undeliverable.

I wish someone would take over the business, as I have been hunting a FISPA decal for my SPICA airbox for over a year -

Attachment 1260642
try this one hooligan.racing.llc@gmail.com
https://www.giuliettaspokenhere.com/
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
I don't think that's Bill's website. That place is in Florida, I think. I looked up the address and it was another business.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't think that's Bill's website. That place is in Florida, I think. I looked up the address and it was another business.
the webmaster is dated 2017..... give it a shot..
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Lokki,
I sent an email to Bill with a link to this thread. Hopefully it went through and he can reply. My suspicion is that the label you search for may be too new for Bill as he specializes in Giulietta and Giulia but maybe I am wrong.

Mark
Tom Frasca likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Garage
I got an email from him about 2 months ago so....ah... who knows...!!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
the webmaster is dated 2017..... give it a shot..

It's dated 2015.. Sorry

I've emailed and not gotten a reply. So have others.
Tom Frasca likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Garage
Wow

Quote:
It's dated 2015.. Sorry

I've emailed and not gotten a reply. So have others.
Got te...!his in January see bottom...really strange
....!!!!!!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode