Refreshing a '71 GTV - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks, Jim! So what are you using for the inner headlamps?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Subscriber

What's been sprayed in the boot, bed liner ?

Looks fantastic btw
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM

..Jim,

Again, i must say, reading your thread is a great source of encouragement for me...

Cheers and keep up the good work..., I'm struggling with my front suspension, because i think it's too low in the front... and i can't get my headlights to shine like yours... well the struggle continues... lol...

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Trained Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabikefreak View Post
So what are you using for the inner headlamps?
The inners, just like the outers, are stock script letter Carellos. I'll try to get some decent pics of the lenses this coming Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
What's been sprayed in the boot, bed liner ?
TBH, I didn't know and had to call the bodyshop to ask.
It is a spray-able seam sealer. Available in a number of different textures, it is simply sprayed on. Then top coated in body colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156GTASelespeed View Post
I'm struggling with my front suspension, because i think it's too low in the front...
Yes, I saw the pics.
Keep in mind that stiff springs greatly reduce the risk of bottoming out but your front end looks pretty darn low. You may want to consider the route I'm taking; finish assembly of the car with all components and then adjusting ride height as necessary.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
You may want to consider the route I'm taking; finish assembly of the car with all components and then adjusting ride height as necessary.
Ideally we should all do this when the car is sitting on corner weighing scales so we don't upset the balance. Lowering the front would put more weight on the front I believe (? ... don't quote me) for example.

While my car will be dead standard, it will be corner weighed and if that means I have to add a few packers here and there to get it better balanced so be it. Having raced a corner weighted car and enjoyed the improved stability (especially under braking) I personally think for any hobby car it is worth the time and expense.
Pete
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
The inners, just like the outers, are stock script letter Carellos. I'll try to get some decent pics of the lenses this coming Saturday.

TBH, I didn't know and had to call the bodyshop to ask.
It is a spray-able seam sealer. Available in a number of different textures, it is simply sprayed on. Then top coated in body colour.

Yes, I saw the pics.
Keep in mind that stiff springs greatly reduce the risk of bottoming out but your front end looks pretty darn low. You may want to consider the route I'm taking; finish assembly of the car with all components and then adjusting ride height as necessary.
Jim at Alfaholics said the same thing to me. Finish the car and then look at it afterwards and see how it sits with everything in and work out a way forward from there..

Thanks..
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Ideally we should all do this when the car is sitting on corner weighing scales so we don't upset the balance. Lowering the front would put more weight on the front I believe (? ... don't quote me) for example.

While my car will be dead standard, it will be corner weighed and if that means I have to add a few packers here and there to get it better balanced so be it. Having raced a corner weighted car and enjoyed the improved stability (especially under braking) I personally think for any hobby car it is worth the time and expense.
Pete
That's one of the reasons i don't have a fuel tank yet. I keep drooling over the Alfaholics 55litre race tank. It sits dead in the middle of the boot so is perfect for setting the balance in the rear...

The front.. well i will have to PM you about that..
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM

Sorry for hijacking your thread with the last post.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Trained Professional

No worries, 156.

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching the wild card round of the playoffs (American football) and assembling some NOS bumper parts.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Hope that's not the living room!

At least you took your boots off.....

Last edited by red69; 01-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Trained Professional

There's another place to assemble this stuff? Note the dash stored under the coffee table.

The 'problem' with the fuel tank was that the filler neck was too high up in the filler door opening (a normal condition, actually). It is thought that this was fine back in the day when fuel nozzles had a sharper bend. Todays fuel nozzles have less of a bend and, at least in New Jersey, a large diameter rubber bellows for vapor recovery. This would make refueling the car (illegal in NJ for anyone other than the fuel station attendant) extremely difficult (not to mention slow) and would greatly increase the risk of body damage by inattentive or uncaring attendants. So the decision was made to shorten the filler neck. Tank was removed and the neck cut off just below the 45 degree bend. One inch from the vertical portion of the neck was removed then the filler portion was welded back on. This resulted in the filler being just about dead center in the door opening. Hopefully, this mod will make refuelling the car much easier with (almost) zero risk of body damage.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Trained Professional

Of course, not expecting the bodyshop to mod the fueltank so quickly, I did not bring the left rear tail light assembly to the shop. So it was on to installing the rear number plate bracket and rear bumper.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 01-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Trained Professional

Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 AM

That looks fantastic Jim, great work - you're zooming along!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.