Refreshing a '71 GTV - Page 16 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Trained Professional
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

On to the left side gasket. This door closes even easier than the right side!
The sill plates were installed the following weekend but unfortunately pictures are not available. The doors however close just as easily now with the sill plates installed as they did without the plates. So far, so good. All that's left is some minor adjustments to the door glass and the doors can be buttoned up.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Trained Professional

Of course, since the sill plates (kick panels) also retain the sill carpet, neither could be installed until the new sound deadening material was installed on the floor. After some research and some phone conversations, it was decided to go with RAAMaudio products. The installation was easy and straight forward. Once this was done, the sill plates and carpeting could be installed.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 AM
Trained Professional

More floor stuff.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Trained Professional

While all this assembly is going on, miles are being put on the car. It's covered some 700 miles so far. For the first 400-500 miles, the engine was restricted to about a third throttle and 4000-4500 rpm while the next 500 or so miles will see about 2/3 throttle and up to about 5500 rpm. This is an unusually fast break-in compared to my usually slower break-ins simply because the pistons and liners are not new; only the Hastings rings, bearings and rod bolts were renewed.

Now, if it ever stops raining, seat installation is next.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 AM

I may have said it before in regard's to Papajam's car, but it's easy to take something apart, but difficult to put it back together properly, with emphasis on "properly". There are always secrets which go beyond what is the intuitive ways to do things, such as Jim's advice on installing the door seals. His car, as it comes together, looks New, rather than Restored, which I hope you will agree is the highest compliment. John
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Jim,

I used that 3M tar strip under the trim previously in my GTV, but I'm thinking about using plumber's putty this time around. It should keep the water out but wouldn't be as sticky as that stuff. Do you see any downside?

Regards,
Lawrence
'02 Audi S6
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 AM
Trained Professional

The end goal here is to prevent water intrusion between the channels and the body. I've used strip caulk since forever but I'd think any product that would accomplish the same task would be fine.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 AM

Jim, what did you do to prep your cylinder liners to prep them for new rings? John
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Trained Professional

Absolutely nothing.

Although the P&Ls are some 30 years old, they have only 20-something thousand miles on them. With an easily visible crosshatch, no wear and no ridge, I didn't even take the liners out the block.

Of course, everything gets soaked with engine oil, including the rings, on engine buildup.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgowin View Post
Jim,

I used that 3M tar strip under the trim previously in my GTV, but I'm thinking about using plumber's putty this time around. It should keep the water out but wouldn't be as sticky as that stuff. Do you see any downside?
I don't think I'd try that stuff on a fresh paint job. The chemicals in the plumbers putty may reactivate the paint and cause you a lot of heartache. Go with something that is known to work with automotive paint.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
On to the left side gasket. This door closes even easier than the right side!
The sill plates were installed the following weekend but unfortunately pictures are not available. The doors however close just as easily now with the sill plates installed as they did without the plates. So far, so good. All that's left is some minor adjustments to the door glass and the doors can be buttoned up.
What is the small thing with 2 screws on the A pillar?

PS: I always thought that others were installing the door seals incorrectly when they said they were too long. Now we know, and I wonder as they have installed them stretched would this potentially make the rubber not as soft and thus their doors harder to close?
Pete
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Trained Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
What is the small thing with 2 screws on the A pillar?
It is a plastic plate covering the antenna hole.
The instructions to the bodyshop (granted, this was eight years ago) was to fill in the hole. Unfortunately, the unfilled hole went unnoticed until half the car was assembled after painting. Not sure what, if anything, will be done about it.

Thoughts on the door gaskets a bit later; have to take a work break.

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
Unfortunately, the unfilled hole went unnoticed until half the car was assembled after painting. Not sure what, if anything, will be done about it.
I am sure everyone within shouting distance of the shop heard your exclamation when you discovered it.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Trained Professional

Although the car is not yet finished, here's some before and after body pics of the 'refresh'.
Attached Images

Series 1 Euro 1750 GTV
Series 2 USA 1750 GTV
Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM

You done good Jim! And as far as the antenna hole goes....that should be an easy fix for the shop to do no? I'd have thought that they would offer to fix that for free seeing how it was their omission.

...visit my thread...afrench-blue-69-gtv-restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.