Panel Welding Progress. - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77SpideRacer View Post

My old Spider may be getting a makeover.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...683#post309683
Awesome! Yellow '77 Spiders never die, they just get recycled into something better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Are you going to put in new pistons and liners?
Yes, a set of Borgo 10.4:1 pistons w/liners are waiting on the shelf. I need to measure the crank and other pieces to figure out what machine work is needed, if any. Also, I'd like to have the block hot-tanked to clean all the oil passages.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torcia View Post
Bill,

Looking good!!!! Been following your thread for a while and it helps motivate me to keep up with my projects. I too had Jet Hot redo my exhaust manifold and expected something a little less on the bling side but it looks good with the polished cam cover. I have about 300 miles on the manifold now and no noticable change in the glitter.

I give up what color did you have the car painted? It looks great on my monitor.
Holy cow! Your picture is like Future-Cam. Now I have a target to shoot for. Nice engine compartment.

By the way, the color is late model Ferrari Rosso Corsa. It looks like true red in some light, and looks a bit orange under bright light especially with a camera flash.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyspider View Post
I have two sets now for my red, and both suffer the same issue, peeling or bubbling chrome.
I just spoke to my chroming guy and he says he can redo the chrome on them for $60 each. That sounded ok, but I have to strip them to their bare components. The problem I have is the rivits that hold the bulbholders in.
Gotta figure it out!
I just did the magnet test and the tail lamp housings are plastic, as you probably figured out already. The plating process is different than for metal. $60 sounds like a decent price. I may take mine along to the plater for an estimate, along with some other bits.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Inside Rear View Mirror.

The mirror was a dusty, tarnished mess. It was easy to disassemble and clean all the pieces, including the glass and the mirror. The housing looks much better with a coat of SEM Trim Black paint.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2007, 06:16 PM

The weather was finally decent this past weekend, so the car was rolled out into the driveway to catch some fresh air! I spent a lot of time doing some color sanding and using the electric buffer on the paint. I have quite a ways to go yet.

In the meantime, on to some "feel good" stuff, including a trial fit of the rear bumper. Always trial fit parts before painting the car. For some reason, I never did the rear bumper and found out that there are extra attachment brackets. Looks like holes will need to be drilled. Does anyone know what fasteners to use? Looks like a stack of washers or spacers will be needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill77; 03-27-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Ah, and now for the "feel good" stage with the tail lamps, rear bumper and (optimistically) the license plate. It's starting to look like a real car. The trunk lid needs to be adjusted lower, but not until the rubber overslam bumpers are installed. Also, the license lamps and "Alfa Romeo" & "Inezione" scripts are still at the chrome plater.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill77; 03-26-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

making some good progress there Bill, lookin' good!!!!!

Currently no Alfas in the stable

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Some more feel-good stuff. Here is the engine block after being hot-tanked. It will never be this clean again. Should I polish it? Advance Auto Parts had a bottle of "Gasket Remover" that you spray on and let sit, then carefully scrape off the gasket. I'll be trying that soon. The hot tank chemicals weren't powerful enough to remove the residual gasket material. The shop said that the EPA took away all their good chemicals and left them with "Lemon Pledge soap suds."
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill77; 03-26-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM

Here's the crankshaft after a visit to a crankshaft shop. Fortunately, it measured within the original factory specs, so all it needed was a good cleaning and polishing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill77; 03-26-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Some more feel-good stuff. Here is the engine block after being hot-tanked. It will never be this clean again. Should I polish it? Advance Auto Parts had a bottle of "Gasket Remover" that you spray on and let sit, then carefully scrape off the gasket. I'll be trying that soon. The hot tank chemicals weren't powerful enough to remove the residual gasket material. The shop said that the EPA took away all their good chemicals and left them with "Lemon Pledge soap suds."

That explains how you could Hot Tank an alloy block. In years past the caustic hot tank stuff would have turned your alloy block to mush. Aluminum blocks were always cold tanked if I remember correctly.

As far as Gasket Remover goes my guess is it's nothing more then paint stripper. That's what I use on tough gasket residue & it lifts the stuff no problem.
90 BMW 535i
95 525i Touring
Many Motorcycles
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM

Wow Bill!
She really is coming along!
Great motivator for me!
Maybe you should get that block Clear Anodised!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrgibbysworth
This is the first time I saw this thread, and read the whole thing through.

WOW.

I'm truly jealous. I think I missed the part about the bumper conversion, so I'll have to look again. This is going to be a fun car.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 AM

First time that I saw it too and read it from the start. I am too in admiration. Very good work for a first time welder! Spray job looks excellent. I will start a thread for my Alfasud when I start the body work, and trust me, the car is virtually Oxide Orange at the moment.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing your Spider when the engine is in!
Old 04-01-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the encouraging words, folks!

Some pieces are back from the chrome plater, so here they are installed on the back of the car. This is the only view of the car that is worth viewing at the moment, I'm afraid...

The trunk lid still isn't adjusted. Also, the black plastic strip under the bumper is wavy. I have two-sided tape for that. Everything needs to come back off for a little paint work (dirt near the left tail lamp) and to drill the holes in the quarter panel to secure the bumper.
Attached Images

Tags
bumper, restoration, series 2, spider, welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.